sonic screwdriver Dr who

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by boatbuilder1, Mar 10, 2006.

1. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

2. blubeetle3

blubeetle3 Well-Known Member

Very nice.

3. boatbuilder1

4. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

Those are awesome.... Would you be willing to make more? :)

5. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent work on both.

Dave C

6. PropReplicator

PropReplicator Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Nice work. You can never have too many sonic screwdrivers. :) Is that some kind of a bevel on the butt end of it?

I'm working on a custom one out of oak and brass. :) :) It goes with the Season 14 alternate control room.

W.

7. boatbuilder1

see pic

[​IMG]
    there is 30 degree angle at the bottom also notice the slot just above that.

charlie

8. PropReplicator

I never noticed that before. I wonder if that's a dent from one of the many times he dropped it. There are strories about him breaking that thing all the time, and they had to keep patching it together. the emitter looks a bit wonky to me, too, in that pic. That's from location shooting, so who knows what that thing had been through that day.

9. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeh I think that pics from The Sea Devils, great episode, nice work on the screwdriver....

10. PropReplicator

I don't think it's from The Sea Devils. That would be a Pertwee episode, and that is Tom Baker's hand and SS. I was thinking more like The Sontaran Experiment.

EDIT: Yep. Here's the uncropped photo. It's from The Sontaran Experiment.
    [​IMG]

W.

11. boatbuilder1

yes sontaron experiment. no dent there are numerous pics of this detail starting in the pertwee era.

12. shaunsheep

shaunsheep Well-Known Member

[attachmentid=7201]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  13. jadedskies

jadedskies Active Member

Very nice. My hubby is doing the Tom Baker Dr. and would like to get my hands on one of these.

Jen

14. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A few grabs from my files. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Phayze

Phayze Well-Known Member

Haha. I was just watching that episode last night.

Awesome work on the replica. I wonder how difficult a hardware version of that would be . . . ?

16. mtsbspidey

mtsbspidey Well-Known Member

"I wonder how difficult a hardware version of that would be . . . ?"

we should find out soon...i'm attempting one...skott

17. Phayze

Phayze Well-Known Member

sweet. Progress pics would be awesome. :D I might try to make one for my wife's birthday this June - the trick is just going to be doing it without her knowing what I'm up to. :ninja

18. xwing_5

xwing_5 New Member

Great piece... I totally forgot about this.

19. mtsbspidey

"Progress pics would be awesome."

will do...in case anyone's curious...i'm making it from the doctor who technical manual...i'm going to print out the blueprints today and start gathering materials this weekend...skott

20. boatbuilder1

those plans are completely off as far as acurate dimensions are concerned.
    but thanks anyways.

21. mtsbspidey

"those plans are completely off as far as acurate dimensions are concerned"

eh...close enough for government work...and to be fair...i'm doing a hardware version...i know it's not going to look anywhere near as nice as your's (which i would love to buy but simply can't afford)...but it'll still look nice on the shelf...

out of curiousity though...how far off are we talking?...1/8" (or more?.?) too wide? too narrow? is it too long? too short?...i resized the picture so that the scale is the right size (i assumed they meant 1.0, 2.0, etc or decimeters instead of centimeters) and the measurements seem right to me...handle is 7/8" wide, exterior shaft 11/16" wide, interior shaft 5/8", outer rings 3/4", total length (including head) is about 8 1/4"...are those horribly wrong?...if so...would you mind giving me more accurate dimensions?...

...skott

22. boatbuilder1

tool long too thick.

hardware version huh nothing wrong with that. I do that stuff once and a while. I think of the hardware store as my second hobby store.

23. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh... Must resist... must resist... :angel

24. boatbuilder1

you are such a weirdo I and I mean that in a good way

charlie

25. boatbuilder1

I do wish to clarify the isuue of the baorrowed image from (TML) it is going to be removed and updated. I apologize. the design of the fisrt one seen in the pics I posted is a near mirror image of the TML design again I apologize. this one is mine. the limited run of 24 is being constructed from plans I drew back in the eightys. the are similar in design but then again almost anyone could watch the show and sit dwon to do a rough sketchy plan as to how it works. again I apologize
    charlie

26. TMLindsey

TMLindsey New Member

Apologies accepted. I appreciate your response but must confess that I would have liked to have had it sooner and while I still was communicating my displeasure privately.

Whether or not a nearly identical mechanism was independantly developed by you or was copied from mine is ultimately irrelevent to me. Karstva is doing what friends do, looking out for me and since, to our knowledge no one had a functional SS mechanism like it before mine was produced here, he called it like he saw it. I do find it interesting though that this is the fourth nearly identical one produced that I know of since mine was designed, but as I said, ultimately it doesn't matter since I expected it to be copied after it was revealed anyway (especially on the RPF) and was resigned to it. Water under the bridge.

My major problem was the pic of the Pertwee one I painted for Karstva being used without permission and in such a way that it could be said to be a representation of your work rather than mine. I have had my work stolen twice before by RPF members who thought nothing of doing it and showed no real remorse for their actions and have had others use images from my portfolio (even before the internet) and passed them off as their own work. So you can imagine how irritating it was to see my pic taken and used without permission (I do have the "no right-click" option on for a reason).

Tim L.

27. TMLindsey

TMLindsey New Member

You can also see the handle bevel (and the hole that goes through it) and slot in "The Ark In Space" Ep1 and "Carnival of Monsters" Ep3 (I think). The eimitter in Carnival looks like it could be the bullet without the back cylindrical part, leaving, basically, a cone with a threaded hole in the center.

Someone had posted (a long time back) a pic of a chiropractic activator gun that was very similar to the SS. Perhaps the handle was a tool part that the props guys combined with an activator gun.

Tim L.

28. phase pistol

OK here's where I wish I had the PAL versions of the discs, to eke out that extra bit of resolution. :lol

But here's the best I can do with these from "City of Death".. Here's the first appearance of the prop, where the Doctor is trying to break out of Scarlioni's dungeon. In one of the shots, it seems like the head of the screwdriver (the bullet and the round halo part) is knocked completely askew, up about 45 degrees.

As part of the action in this scene, Duggan takes the screwdriver and KNOCKS it against the dungeon door. This could have damaged the prop, or at least jarred it out of alignment I suppose...

[​IMG]

Here's the prop's second appearance, a very nice closeup as the Doctor breaks into the gallery where the TARDIS is parked.

Note the black band at the end is askew. Is it a rubber band..?

Also there seems to be a HOLE near the top (or screwhead, hard to be sure). Tom Baker easily handles the screwdriver one-handed, and is only pulling down the sleeve part a little ways in these shots.

[​IMG]

Also note that the "bullet" is mounted pretty far back... the mounting screws that are attached to the round halo part, are closer to the rounded tip than to the flat back.

[​IMG]

Lastly Romana uses her screwdriver to break into the cafe, but it's too far from the camera to make out details.

[​IMG]

- k

29. phase pistol

30. phase pistol

Another fine Screwdriver scene, from the Pertwee episode "Carnival of Monsters."

Pertwee plunges the sleeve one-handed (apparently using just his thumb.)... and as you can see the travel is very short, compared to the prop used by Tom Baker in "City of Death". Also note the black spiral line on the yellow part, is just graphic line tape.

Also the "bullet" part in the head is not so much a "bullet", as it is some sort of stepped cylinder with a hole in. But the Screwdriver famously takes different head-attachments, so this one is the "scaring off stop-motion monsters by setting off explosions" attachment. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- k

31. phase pistol

The Screwdriver makes some dramatic appearances in "The Pirate Planet"... note the "split head" with screw.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. phase pistol

The Doctor introduces Romana to his trusty metal friend.

No not K-9... :rolleyes

[​IMG]

33. boatbuilder1

Tim
    Thank you for excepting my apology you don't know how sorry I am. as you say water under the bridge I would like to put this in the past far ago past again my apologies. I was not aware of your responce until late last night I was out of running errands.
    if you would like pm me and I can send you copies of my plans.

charlie have a great day you deserve it

34. boatbuilder1

Nice screen caps very nice. Now I am confused, that band is askewed nice catch.
    That is weird I wonder why rubber band ? That would help with the grip and use of one hand pull down, but it doesn't appear to stand proud of the main body IMHO it looks like a depression. The small hole in the top I beleive that is a set screw or grub screw to hold the conical top on, I remember seeing a pic of the stepped band in the middle having a set screw hole as well. This could speed up the construction process significantly. Think the main slider turned with just the rings and grooves, the the top and mid stepped ring added during final assembly. Also I see the bevel at the botton cap is not as wide as I had though, I did mine with nearly 1/3 cut off now with this new evidence it appears more like a smaller bevel maybe 1/5 of the width. The action of the pertwee version is much like the baker version except for the outer sleeve, its almost like the outer sleeve comes down and engages a step or notch then pulls the inner sleeve down to reveal the ring heads mount and rod. at least that is how I see it I did not like the way the conical top looked on mine so I turned it down and hadded it just like the origianl as a separate part
    charlie

35. phase pistol

[Edit: blueprint updated; see post below for details]

[​IMG]

36. boatbuilder1

here is more I turned a more accurate head thought the cone is too shallow so I will try again tomorrow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

charlie

37. phase pistol

Nice work Charlie.

I realize you're still working on it, but I'll refer to my blueprint I just made (previous post), regarding hole placement and the relative size of the head and the screw in the head (which I think is a flathead screw if I'm not mistaken...). But as always I defer to the Screwdriver experts who have come before. :D

- k

38. boatbuilder1

see the pic
    [​IMG]
    the question asked was will my replicas have them? well it wouldn't be a replica with out them would it. and that would not be me the perfectionist

charlie

39. phase pistol

For your amusement, here are some Screwdriver sound samples I took. The second "loop" is loud, because I normalized it (but it had a funky background noise in it I couldn't take out... maybe somebody more skilled in sound editing can do something with these).

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/screwdriversounds.zip

40. phase pistol

Wow. a straight-cut slot, revealing the interior?

Hm....

I think the "red cross" on the grip ring (and possibly even the "screw hole" you're seeing there) are just paint scraps remaining (assuming that ring had been painted and most of it has worn off). Perhaps evidence that this is the same prop that Pertwee used, just with the colorful deco removed?

I wonder if that grip ring might be knurled.... :unsure

41. Eyes Only

Eyes Only Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

so I'm assuming there is no room inside for sound??

42. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Good memory,unfortunatly for all that post was deleted some time ago. If I recall the primary speculation was that since Jon Pertwee was seeing a chiropractor for back issues and had an eye for anything gadgety there is a good chance he may have seen a chiropractic tool and talked his doctor out of it for use on the show. Pertwee stated in his one man show that he and Barry Letts (the show's producer at the time) had a standing deal that if he found anything interesting and gadgety and brought it in Barry would try to work it into the show. The statement was made in "An Evening wtih the Doctor - a one man show starring Jon Pertwee" which he was touring with and performing the year he passed on. You can find the tape of the show popping up on eBay now and then. The example he used in the tape was about a motorcycle that folds away into a briefcase but it's a simple supposition that the sonic screwdriver too could have ended up in the show that same way.

If Boatbuilder1 is using the central rod and spring design which we've seen used in several repro's of the prop and the central rod is actually a piece of aluminum tube instead of barstock then you may be able to add sound aftermarket if Charles isn't doing it in shop. The sound package Hyperdyne makes for sonic screwdrivers is fairly tiny.

43. boatbuilder1

I am doing it with bar stock but the distance between the bottom cap and the bottom of the slider is just about 2 inches so if the sound board can be designed to fin that space it should be no problem. even so one idea comes to mind, the pcb can be designed with a hole in the center so it fits in the bottom where the central rod screws into. then something like a spacer between the sound board and the spring. one easy cheap way to get sound is buy a greeting card that has a recordable message and canabalize it that is what I intend to do.

charlie
    BTW I see a chiropractor frequently. and the new version of that tool mentioned above is quite similar to the Whovian SS my Doc says it is used for infants and toddlers.this is strange the Hypo Mccoy used is supposedly inspired from a ventrenary tool.

44. TMLindsey

TMLindsey New Member

That's the speculation I remembered, too.

I've Googled for said tool and come up with nothing as close as the one that used to be posted here...and all of them ball-bouncingly expensive.

Ultimately, this version looks to be becoming the most accurate to the Baker/Pertwee SS yet. Any grabs of the Davison one out there to see if it makes significant changes?

Tim L.

45. TMLindsey

TMLindsey New Member

No problem, thanks for being stand-up enough to do it, and on the thread at that.
    Wrong righted, over and done :)

Thanks for the offer but you don't have to do that. At least two or three other people have posted or contacted me about similar independant designs, which in the end proves, I suppose, that great minds think alike :D

I said before, this looks to be the making of the most accurate one yet and the work you've done looks great so far.

Tim L.

46. phase pistol

updated drawing again 3/20... made the cone at the top more acute (I just drew it to wide initially) and to include latest thinking on rear cap details

[​IMG]

After studying the closeup scene in "City of Death", I think Charlie is right... there IS an angled slot near the butt end of the driver.

It only goes partway around. I think it's angled as shown. Ends of the slot may or may not be rounded (it seemed like they might be).

I wonder: could be purpose be to LET AIR OUT and thus make the spring action smoother...? (if so, that little round hole in the conical part of the sleeve (near the head) might serve the same purpose)...

Also I wonder if the little round thing in the angled cut face, if that might be a flush set screw, to attach the grip portion to the central shaft?

Thoughts? :D

- k

47. RogueScout

RogueScout Well-Known Member

If you guys are going for sound, I wish you all the best of luck. Check out my thread on the sonic screwdriver redux. That redesign of my original work took a year and lots of trial and error. Like I said in the tread, its a complete redesign of the internals where by I kept it identical in dimension and function to my original design.... basically a refit. If your good at micro machining, youll may get it. BTW, it also has full motion of the slide, is water tight like maglight and the battery can be changed without taking it apart. I'm sorry the video isn't better but you can see the disnace of travel.

Rob

48. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Karl - Charles and I came to the same conclusion in PM conversation. My take on it was the hole in the end was a air valve to allow smoother action and the slash was a machining mistake that the artist either ended up liking and left or just did nothing about due to lack of time or materials.

49. phase pistol

UPdated the drawing again... after some re-examination of the closeup in "City of Death"... now I wonder if the diagonal slot might actually end in a slightly enlarged round hole (instead of the straight segments I had proposed earlier)

[​IMG]

- k

50. phase pistol

Some screwdriver revelations from "Genesis of the Daleks". :D

In Part One, the Doctor has to empty out his pockets...

[​IMG]

Now here's a VERY intriguing moment... just after the Doctor has used the screwdriver to destroy the Kaleds' radio

[​IMG]

...he appears to COLLAPSE it down.

[​IMG]

Hard to be completely certain... but it sure looks that way to me.

The screwdriver makes a few more appearances in later parts of the serial, in the hands of the Kaled scientist, and also as the prop is being handed back to the Doctor by Harry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But THIS is fairly remarkable. Very near the end of Part Six.

[​IMG]

So the head definitely extends (or at least there's an alternate prop with the head set up on a long, thin rod). Note also on the main shaft of the screwdriver, how it is cut narrower just below the top section.

Also, here's a nice clean loop (normalized) of the screwdriver being used in that closeup shot above. Note that it's a different sound than I posted previously.

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/dw_got...nicloopnorm.wav

- k