Solo blaster: Greedo Killer or not?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by southcenter, Feb 26, 2006.

1. southcenter

southcenter Active Member

Ok, so I'm still new to props (not that the "new user" tag on the left isn't a giveaway) and I just recently found out that the blaster in the Greedo scene (the Greedo killer) is different from the one used throughout the rest of the movie.

My questions are thus:

Is there a good place to check out the differences between the two before trying to track down either for purchase?

Which one is the MR LE?

Thanks guys,

Patrick

2. damon5973

damon5973 Well-Known Member

3. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

The MR LE is the "Hero". That is going to easier to find to parts for because that's the version most people think of when imagining Han Solo's blaster. The Greedo Killer is more "obscure". Most people probably don't even realize that a different prop was used in that scene.

4. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

:p Vince of Corellian Exports, you seek. :D

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=104432

Screen cap from the "draw" scene:

[​IMG]

From the Chronicles:

[​IMG]

and from a post-production publicity still:

[​IMG]

Here's my GK buildup, purchased from another member here:

[​IMG]

Notice that in the movie screen grab, the front ring is behind the scope's windage & elevation knobs, while in the Chronicles and publicity shot, the front ring is in front of the knobs, and the rings are different than the screen-used ones:

Screen-used:

[​IMG]

Post production:

[​IMG]

Guess they had to let the continuity guy go before they took those pics.

This blaster is DEFINITELY one I'd love to see MR offer. :D

- Gabe

5. batninja

batninja Well-Known Member

Those are great pics, Gabe. Now I might have to switch conversions. I always did like the long scope-look of the ANH.

6. southcenter

Well this info certianly spells it all out for me. Thanks.

After looking at the comparisons, I think I like the Hero build better. This is a bit strange, because I guess my mind has always just thought of Han Solo's blaster as the GK. You really get a good look at it when he's taking it out. The Hero has a lot of the same stuff, but just looks a little bit cooler. Ah well, I'm not buying it today so I can always change my mind again right? :)

Which one does everybody else favor?

Patrick

7. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I built them all.

8. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I favored the GK with the Hero flash hider... - my "what is seen on screen" version, because we see the GK without flash hider... and the Hero mostly from the front. :p

9. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

This is also my favorite. I call it the idealized Solo blaster.

BTW, There is a misconception in reguards to Han Solo's blaster.

The 'Greedo Killer' blaster is the true "hero" prop, and the 'Hero' is really the stunt. The only time you see the "hero" is during action, from a distance, and in post-production photos. The "greedo Killer" is the one you see in the movie during the traditional 'hero' shots(i.e. up close).

What does that mean? The majority of the RPF pride themself in owning a replica of Han Solo's stunt blaster. :p

10. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I don't consider the "GK" a Hero prop at all.
    It's only used in one single shot in the entire movie and who knows if that's even Harrison Ford's hand. I don't like the name "Greedo Killer" either because the Hero prop actually fires the shot.

It was a prop thrown together for a little insert shot and used in some publicity stills that's it.

11. southcenter

So then the GK was just used in that close-up shot of Han taking it out of it's holster? Hmmm...even more interesting details that I never knew about. Who knew you could learn so much about a movie through its props? :)

Patrick

12. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Exactly how I built mine.....even though in recent years the Hero has realllly started to grow on me. :)

Steve

13. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Buuuut .....it's the only one we actually see up close.....and is implied the one that hence "kills Greedo" ;)

Steve

14. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Exactly. And exactly how much screen time did the Luke ROTJ "Hero" saber have? :)

15. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I started researching the ANH blaster back in 1999 and the difference between both versions were purplexing to say the least.

I chose the GK over the Hero simply because the only time we see the Han Blaster in Star Wars is when Han takes it out of his holster and blows Greedo away.

That's the version I remember seeing back in '77 when the film was originally released, so that's the version I wanted to build.

...and let's face it, the Han Blaster is fairly illusive throughout the film. Han spends a lot of time facing down Stormtroopers with a stolen Trooper blaster.

The few times we actually watch him use his own blaster is on Tatooine and that's only twice....very briefly.

One other interesting item to note is the fact that if the entire Cantina scene had not been reshot by George in LA, there would be no GK blaster. That scene was reshot because George didn't like it (And look at how famous that scene is today.), so from a certain perspective, the GK blaster is an updated version of Han's blaster. I'd like to think it's a "better" version. :D

By the way, I don't like the term GK, either. "Alternate" sounds much better to me. :D

16. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

How about we just call it the "Cantina blaster," or even better: the "Yank Blaster" :D

- Gabe

17. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Or instead of "GK", we rename it the "HSF". ;)

18. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

:lol Like a "PK-D" only not as nice-sounding.

19. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

I like the GK over the other one any day.It has more going for it as to building it as the parts easy to find. :cheers

20. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Lemme' know when you get an extra Super Compac :love I always carry cash :D

Steve

21. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

The entire Cantina wasn't redone more like just added to. Harrison Ford wasn't there in LA. They redid Greedo's closeups only because the mask didn't move before. Any footage of Greedo and Han interacting is all the original UK shoot. The dummy Greedo actually getting shot was UK footage too.
    The "alternate" blaster was thrown together in a rush and IMO looks it. It's too bad they didn't keep the original Hero prop, but since it was a live firing weapon ownership was retained by Bapty.

22. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Eh, both were probably thrown together in a rush.

The Hero doesn't look much better to me.

23. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

That's exactly how I feel and how I did mine.

In my opinion, the Greedo Killer IS the hero, because the details on it are what you see up close. In fact, that scene is the only time you see the blaster up close. Hence, it is the hero. The flash supressor seen on the other blaster is the hero suppressor. So it would only make sense to combine them. :)

24. southcenter

Ok, now that I've generated all this discussion regarding the GK/Hero combo with the GK body and Hero suppressor, let's see these builds you guys are all boasting about. :)

Patrick

25. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Ooh. An excuse to take better pics.

26. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Ok, here she is...

The base is a Denix, which I've reversed the sight slide, removed the denix logo, and cut off the tassle ring. It has also been fitted for wooden grips(which I also did). The bracket is the GK, made by a scammer. The flash hider, heat sink, and mystery disk(opposite side) was made years ago by Boba Debt.

The scope, is a working Tasco Bantam shotgun scope. Originally, this was to be a temporary scope untill I found a real Compac. I didn't find a compac, but I did find get a knock-off. When I put on the scope, it looked too big and took away from the blaster's look. So, I decided to keep the 'custom' scope and ring.

It's been through a few changes until now and will be getting a new paint job this summer. :)

Here it is; my idealized Han Solo blaster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Stay on target.... Stay on target.... :lol

That's quite a nice blaster you have there. I'm currently strugglying with the idealization vs. "As-screen-accurate-as-I-can-get-it" issue with my current Han Solo blaster project. I've been leaning toward screen accurate, but this thread has given something to think about.

28. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Thanks. :)

This was my first blaster project back in 2001. It was my intent at the time to make an idealized blaster. I know what you mean about struggling with the accuracy issue. At the time, (nearly)everyone was wanting to make a stunt... er "hero" blaster and I wanted to do something a bit different. :)

Of my Solo blasters, this one definitely gets the most attention from others. :)

29. southcenter

Wow, very cool. I think that shotgun scope looks pretty cool. Most non-prop people wouldn't know the difference and as long as you like it and are proud to show it off, who cares right? :)

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

30. wuher da brewer

The following were all built on Denix blasters. The grips were all refitted for real wood Mauser grips. The logos were removed as was the nub under the hammer. Only one gun is painted. The rest were finished with aluminum black once the worst of the pitting was removed. All parts are metal except for he grips with exception of the leftside greeblies on the ESB and the rubber bumper on the ROTJ.

I intend to redo my Cantina Blaster. I have an MGC Mauser and real flash hider. All I need is a scope and some wooden grips. After that, the one pictured will likely be for sale.

[​IMG]

31. southcenter

So here's a question, are the Cantina blaster barrels longer than the Hero barrels, or is it just the flash hider that changes the appearance?

Patrick

32. wuher da brewer

The cantina blaster has a longer barrel than Solo's other blasters.