Solo blaster: Greedo Killer or not?

southcenter

Ok, so I'm still new to props (not that the "new user" tag on the left isn't a giveaway) and I just recently found out that the blaster in the Greedo scene (the Greedo killer) is different from the one used throughout the rest of the movie.

My questions are thus:

Is there a good place to check out the differences between the two before trying to track down either for purchase?

Which one is the MR LE?

Thanks guys,

Patrick

Originally posted by southcenter@Feb 26 2006, 08:09 PM
Which one is the MR LE?

Thanks guys,

Patrick
[snapback]1194360[/snapback]​

The MR LE is the "Hero". That is going to easier to find to parts for because that's the version most people think of when imagining Han Solo's blaster. The Greedo Killer is more "obscure". Most people probably don't even realize that a different prop was used in that scene.

:p Vince of Corellian Exports, you seek. :D

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=104432

Screen cap from the "draw" scene:

scope-close1.jpg

From the Chronicles:

GK.jpg

and from a post-production publicity still:

GK_Chronicles_1.jpg

Here's my GK buildup, purchased from another member here:

IMG_1677.JPG

Notice that in the movie screen grab, the front ring is behind the scope's windage & elevation knobs, while in the Chronicles and publicity shot, the front ring is in front of the knobs, and the rings are different than the screen-used ones:

Screen-used:

DetachTopMountRings-600.jpg

Post production:

5035.jpg

Guess they had to let the continuity guy go before they took those pics.

This blaster is DEFINITELY one I'd love to see MR offer. :D

- Gabe

Those are great pics, Gabe. Now I might have to switch conversions. I always did like the long scope-look of the ANH.

Well this info certianly spells it all out for me. Thanks.

After looking at the comparisons, I think I like the Hero build better. This is a bit strange, because I guess my mind has always just thought of Han Solo's blaster as the GK. You really get a good look at it when he's taking it out. The Hero has a lot of the same stuff, but just looks a little bit cooler. Ah well, I'm not buying it today so I can always change my mind again right? :)

Which one does everybody else favor?

Patrick

I favored the GK with the Hero flash hider... - my "what is seen on screen" version, because we see the GK without flash hider... and the Hero mostly from the front. :p

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Feb 27 2006, 07:59 AM
I favored the GK with the Hero flash hider... - my "what is seen on screen" version, because we see the GK without flash hider... and the Hero mostly from the front.  :p
[snapback]1194679[/snapback]​
This is also my favorite. I call it the idealized Solo blaster.

BTW, There is a misconception in reguards to Han Solo's blaster.

The 'Greedo Killer' blaster is the true "hero" prop, and the 'Hero' is really the stunt. The only time you see the "hero" is during action, from a distance, and in post-production photos. The "greedo Killer" is the one you see in the movie during the traditional 'hero' shots(i.e. up close).

What does that mean? The majority of the RPF pride themself in owning a replica of Han Solo's stunt blaster. :p

I don't consider the "GK" a Hero prop at all.
It's only used in one single shot in the entire movie and who knows if that's even Harrison Ford's hand. I don't like the name "Greedo Killer" either because the Hero prop actually fires the shot.

It was a prop thrown together for a little insert shot and used in some publicity stills that's it.

So then the GK was just used in that close-up shot of Han taking it out of it's holster? Hmmm...even more interesting details that I never knew about. Who knew you could learn so much about a movie through its props? :)

Patrick

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Feb 27 2006, 08:59 AM
I favored the GK with the Hero flash hider... - my "what is seen on screen" version, because we see the GK without flash hider... and the Hero mostly from the front.  :p
[snapback]1194679[/snapback]​

Exactly how I built mine.....even though in recent years the Hero has realllly started to grow on me. :)

Steve

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Feb 27 2006, 01:03 PM
It's only used in one single shot in the entire movie and who knows if that's even Harrison Ford's hand. I don't like the name "Greedo Killer" either because the Hero prop actually fires the shot.

It was a prop thrown together for a little insert shot and used in some publicity stills that's it.
[snapback]1194854[/snapback]​

Buuuut .....it's the only one we actually see up close.....and is implied the one that hence "kills Greedo" ;)

Steve

Originally posted by DL 44 Blaster+Feb 27 2006, 02:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DL 44 Blaster @ Feb 27 2006, 02:18 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-lonepigeon
@Feb 27 2006, 01:03 PM

[snapback]1194854[/snapback]​

Buuuut .....it's the only one we actually see up close.....and is implied the one that hence "kills Greedo" ;)

Steve
[snapback]1194978[/snapback]​
[/b]

Exactly. And exactly how much screen time did the Luke ROTJ "Hero" saber have? :)

I started researching the ANH blaster back in 1999 and the difference between both versions were purplexing to say the least.

I chose the GK over the Hero simply because the only time we see the Han Blaster in Star Wars is when Han takes it out of his holster and blows Greedo away.

That's the version I remember seeing back in '77 when the film was originally released, so that's the version I wanted to build.

...and let's face it, the Han Blaster is fairly illusive throughout the film. Han spends a lot of time facing down Stormtroopers with a stolen Trooper blaster.

The few times we actually watch him use his own blaster is on Tatooine and that's only twice....very briefly.

One other interesting item to note is the fact that if the entire Cantina scene had not been reshot by George in LA, there would be no GK blaster. That scene was reshot because George didn't like it (And look at how famous that scene is today.), so from a certain perspective, the GK blaster is an updated version of Han's blaster. I'd like to think it's a "better" version. :D

By the way, I don't like the term GK, either. "Alternate" sounds much better to me. :D

Originally posted by Corellianexports@Feb 27 2006, 12:29 PM
By the way, I don't like the term GK, either.  "Alternate" sounds much better to me.  :D
[snapback]1194986[/snapback]​
How about we just call it the "Cantina blaster," or even better: the "Yank Blaster" :D

- Gabe

I like the GK over the other one any day.It has more going for it as to building it as the parts easy to find. :cheers

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back