Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

I didn't like willow.
I haven't seen it.
"Kurt Russell's best?" So you say it's on par with Escape from New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Tombstone, Death Proof, Hateful Eight (one of the best things of about that movie was him) and Guardians of the Galaxy v2? That's a tall boast.

I have an ingrown toenail I like better than Death Proof.

I think George's creative career has had two major chapters. As a younger man he was a great storyteller with very diverse creative visions. Once he baca,e the master of his domain he concerned himself much more with the technology of movie making as opposed to the story telling. Watching him make the PT in behind the scenes stuff he seem disinterested in the on set production and direction. When he discusses the technology of what he was trying to achieve he really comes to life.

I think George's creative career has had two major chapters. As a younger man he was a great storyteller with very diverse creative visions. Once he baca,e the master of his domain he concerned himself much more with the technology of movie making as opposed to the story telling. Watching him make the PT in behind the scenes stuff he seem disinterested in the on set production and direction. When he discusses the technology of what he was trying to achieve he really comes to life.

I agree. But, I also think he gets WAY too much credit for the tech achievements. He doesn't know how to actually do ANY of it. He said, "I want to be able to do 'THIS' ". The guys at ILM looked at one another and said, "Ummm....okay?". THEY figured it all out. Even on TPM you see John Knoll nervously saying they don't know how they're gonna do this. To their credit, they found a way. But, it was them. Not George. He had ideas and they brought them to life. He deserves credit for the idea. But, they deserve the credit for turning those ideas into technological reality.

I agree. But, I also think he gets WAY too much credit for the tech achievements. He doesn't know how to actually do ANY of it. He said, "I want to be able to do 'THIS' ". The guys at ILM looked at one another and said, "Ummm....okay?". THEY figured it all out. Even on TPM you see John Knoll nervously saying they don't know how they're gonna do this. To their credit, they found a way. But, it was them. Not George. He had ideas and they brought them to life. He deserves credit for the idea. But, they deserve the credit for turning those ideas into technological reality.

That's true but the same could be said of Steve Jobs or Elon Musk.

Yeah, but they're both REAL tech guys. Not just an idea men. They could roll up his shirt sleeves and go to work. George could never. He's a visionary. But, he could never realize any of those things on his own the way Jobs or Musk could.

OT but thats not true at all. Jobs absolutely was not a tech person. Great idea man and marketer, but he had very little actual tech knowledge and skill.

A young Lando Calrissian flick (even with a cameo by a young Han) doesn't sound nearly as bad as a young Han movie.

OT but thats not true at all. Jobs absolutely was not a tech person. Great idea man and marketer, but he had very little actual tech knowledge and skill.

My mistake. I've never owned an apple product or been a Jobs devotee. I never knew much about the guy. I just assumed he was an engineer.

People, please stop trying to make "SWIQ" a thing. I'm begging you.

Treadwell, you have no sense of humor.

The Wook

I disagree, SWIQ is one of the best memes to come from this forum in a very, very long time. I won't rest until it becomes the standard of measurement for all Star Wars films future success!:lol

I have a FANTASTIC sense of humor. Which is why I can tell between attempted humor and the actual thing. ;)

Four Billion rolls off the tongue far too easily, think of it in terms of being given four thousand of these.....

Million-Dollars.jpg

Depends if you mean the young George, with the genius SWIQ, who made us laugh at this:

View attachment 740412

Or the older George, with next to no SWIQ at all, who tried to make us laugh at this:

View attachment 740413

The Wook

Let's remember that George made the Star Wars movies for children, as he has stated numerous times. So, it's no stretch that he probably used his son to test his Jar Jar antics on. So, we should probably be blaming Jett Lucas for the lousy humor of the prequels. :lol

Let's remember that George made the Star Wars movies for children, as he has stated numerous times. So, it's no stretch that he probably used his son to test his Jar Jar antics on. So, we should probably be blaming Jett Lucas for the lousy humor of the prequels. :lol

Yes, I've heard that having children will turn a parent's brain to mush.

Fortunately, I've avoided that affliction--by not having any--and have retained my SWIQ.

The Wook

Yes, I've heard that having children will turn a parent's brain to mush.

Fortunately, I've avoided that affliction--by not having any--and have retained my SWIQ.

The Wook

I've got too say, that it is very surprising that you have retained your amazingly high SWIQ, while staying child free. Well done, good Sir.

After all, the effects of a LOW SWIQ are certainly well documented:

* loss of sense of humor.
* delusions of having a sense of humor.
* violent fits of explosive diarrhea.
* nausea and vomiting.
* abnormally low sex drive.

Effects of a HIGH SWIQ:

* high intelligence.
* fantastic, appealing sense of humor.
* Alpha male, good looks.
* Smells of vanilla and winning.
* gargantuan sex drive.
* extreme success in everything.

Up until today, I could only see one person as a young Han Solo. I think a lot of us here think Anthony Ingruber was the obvious choice and that Alden Ehrenreich's casting just doesn't work. I've rallied and flown the Ingruber flag since this movie was announced - although, like quite a few, I still don't think this movie should be made at all.

After seeing Baby Driver this evening, I could only think of a couple things...

First, Ansel Elgort would have been a great choice for Han. He looks like a younger Harrison Ford and even acts like Han in parts of the movie. He's able to tell a story a lot like Ford does: with a subtle look or glance and a nod. This is the first actor I could see in the role other than Ingruber and he's certainly got the chops.

Based on the casting we got and the heavily rumored shortlist that included Miles Teller and Dave Franco (along with Elgort), it seemed that this casting process was about something more than casting someone who could legitimately pull off playing Harrison Ford's Han Solo.

Second, Baby Driver could have easily been made into a young Han movie. Sure, a lot would have had to change, but I could really see it being the basics of how Han Solo became Han Solo. It's a great flick and even if the script had to go through a Disney cleansing process, I still think it could've worked in many ways to bring us young Han - since, LFL and Disney seem to think this movie needs to be made.

I've got too say, that it is very surprising that you have retained your amazingly high SWIQ, while staying child free. Well done, good Sir.

After all, the effects of a LOW SWIQ are certainly well documented:

* loss of sense of humor.
* delusions of having a sense of humor.
* violent fits of explosive diarrhea.
* nausea and vomiting.
* abnormally low sex drive.

Effects of a HIGH SWIQ:

* high intelligence.
* fantastic, appealing sense of humor.
* Alpha male, good looks.
* Smells of vanilla and winning.
* gargantuan sex drive.
* extreme success in everything.

Spoken, obviously, by a man of exceptional SWiQ.

The Wook

Up until today, I could only see one person as a young Han Solo. I think a lot of us here think Anthony Ingruber was the obvious choice and that Alden Ehrenreich's casting just doesn't work. I've rallied and flown the Ingruber flag since this movie was announced - although, like quite a few, I still don't think this movie should be made at all.

After seeing Baby Driver this evening, I could only think of a couple things...

First, Ansel Elgort would have been a great choice for Han. He looks like a younger Harrison Ford and even acts like Han in parts of the movie. He's able to tell a story a lot like Ford does: with a subtle look or glance and a nod. This is the first actor I could see in the role other than Ingruber and he's certainly got the chops.

Based on the casting we got and the heavily rumored shortlist that included Miles Teller and Dave Franco (along with Elgort), it seemed that this casting process was about something more than casting someone who could legitimately pull off playing Harrison Ford's Han Solo.

Second, Baby Driver could have easily been made into a young Han movie. Sure, a lot would have had to change, but I could really see it being the basics of how Han Solo became Han Solo. It's a great flick and even if the script had to go through a Disney cleansing process, I still think it could've worked in many ways to bring us young Han - since, LFL and Disney seem to think this movie needs to be made.

Good eye, JD. This was a high-SWIQ observation. Just watched the trailer. I can see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YZw_X5UzQ

I still prefer Anthony Ingruber. But I only saw the Baby Driver trailer. So maybe after watching the film itself, I'd rank AE above AI. I was gonna see Wonder Woman. Maybe I'll check this picture out instead.

The Wook

Funny that in some shots, the colors of his shirt and sweatshirt make it look like he's wearing Han's vest as well.

On the casting of Alden, yes as I said it reminds me of that weird strong armed casting scene in "Mulholland Drive".

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back