Solo: A Star Wars Story

****ing hell, guys. It’s a MOVIE! Who cares who Lando screws!? It’s a moot point - as the galaxy is populated with beings, I’m assuming the inhabitants of such a place copulate from time-to-time. Whether they’re doing it with male/female/droid/alien/etc... good for them - but we don’t see it, so who cares!

Why is this even a concern?

Star Wars fans are, from what I have seen lately, becoming a group of petulant idiots.

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That attitude doesn't show a lot of respect for movies as an art form, frankly. I respect film, and I respect Star Wars. I believe movies matter. So if a movie has an agenda, I take notice. Sometimes I'll agree, sometimes I won't, but I notice. And I care. Because I genuinely love cinema.

- - - Updated - - -

How would that even work?

Ha! If you're ever in NH, I'm buying you a beer for this comeback.

So In all their time together you think han only learned to understand the language and not speak it?

That's incredibly selfish of him.

I've always assumed that they could understand each other's language, but were physically incapable of pronouncing the words. Same with Greedo, he and Han understood each other. While speaking to Chewie in the dungeon Han seemed to have trouble with the words, like he couldn't say pole or post so he said big stick instead. In that situation Han needed to get Chewie's attention and get on his good side very quickly, speaking his language accomplished that.

I think Han speaking Wookie to Chewbacca just establishes the need to eventually Han translate everything for Chewbacca as Harrison Ford did in earlier movies. Movies do this all the time for foreign speaking roles. First both characters speak in their native tongue and it is subtitled. Eventually both characters move over to English so that we don't have to keep reading the subtitles. Since Harrison Ford always served as Chewbacca's subtitles by using repeat back of what Chewie said we get Han speaking Chewie's language until he starts translating.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Han speaking Wookie to Chewbacca just establishes the need to eventually Han translate everything for Chewbacca as Harrison Ford did in earlier movies.  Movies do this all the time for foreign speaking roles.  First both characters speak in their native tongue and it is subtitled.  Eventually both characters move over to English so that we don't have to keep reading the subtitles.  Since Harrison Ford always served as Chewbacca's subtitles by using repeat back of what Chewie said we get Han speaking Chewie's language until he starts translating.

Although it sounded silly (what else could it sound), I actually liked the idea that Han gave speaking a go. "Speak to a man in a language he understands and you speak to his mind. Speak to a man in his language and you speak to his heart." It worked for that scene and that scene only.

The naming of "Solo", as I said in my earlier review, was plain stupid. When the Imperial asked him his surname, I was kind a hoping for "Suul" and for the officer to pull an Ellis Island and imperialize it to Solo. That would have been a bit better. But just having Han say "Solo" with pride would have been good enough.

I liked the use of the Imperial March, in what seemed to be a different key, in the advertising... it tied in the whole Nazi-propoganda feel the Empire was always designed to have.

Although it sounded silly (what else could it sound), I actually liked the idea that Han gave speaking a go. "Speak to a man in a language he understands and you speak to his mind. Speak to a man in his language and you speak to his heart." It worked for that scene and that scene only.

The naming of "Solo", as I said in my earlier review, was plain stupid. When the Imperial asked him his surname, I was kind a hoping for "Suul" and for the officer to pull an Ellis Island and imperialize it to Solo. That would have been a bit better. But just having Han say "Solo" with pride would have been good enough.

I liked the use of the Imperial March, in what seemed to be a different key, in the advertising... it tied in the whole Nazi-propoganda feel the Empire was always designed to have.

Like your thoughts on "Solo". No need for a "creative" way to rationalize the name.

I have always had a personal problem when the fictional film worlds mesh with the real world. Makes me feel weird, and takes me out of the movie. We all KNOW the Imperial March was written for US, viewing from outside the fourth wall, and - until this - was really, in a way, part of our world, not the fictional world. Hope that makes sense.

Like any film music...

Perfect example - I just watched the climax of the 1999 Thomas Crowne Affair; the final set piece in the museum where Crown / Brosnan "replaces" the Monet. The piece works wonderfully, set to Nina Simone's Sinnerman. But we know in film "reality" that the song would not actually have been playing during the "real" (reel) events. But the producers add it for US; in the REAL world. Watching from beyond the fourth wall. To make the scene work better.

Same for the imperial March.

When Vader is watching the Star Destroyers join formation from the bridge of his Super Star Destroyer, he was NOT jamming to the heavy beats of John Williams masterpiece. The music was for US, not him. In our world... But would not have existed in the fictional world.

Make sense...?

Last edited:
Saw the film and thought it was great!

Its a shame that the boycott has targeted a film that actually delivered what fans wanted.
Looks like there may not be a sequel to that setup at the end of the film.
They should have just waited for EPIX for their boycott.

:/

Saw the film and thought it was great!

Its a shame that the boycott has targeted a film that actually delivered what fans wanted.
Looks like there may not be a sequel to that setup at the end of the film.
They should have just waited for EPIX for their boycott.

:/

Just my opinion but...

Don't attribute the box office to a boycott, when it can be explained by apathy to the film itself.

Disney Milking Star Wars.jpg

It's probably a bit of both (I don't give the boycott a lot of weight, but I'm sure its,a small factor. Apathy was a good call).

Bet they go with "fatigue" and "frequency" though.
Just my opinion but...

Don't attribute the box office to a boycott, when it can be explained by apathy to the film itself.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

The lack of enthusiasm from its fans probably did a lot of damage. Let's be honest the trailers and story are not exactly enticing. I laugh at the number of people who supposedly enjoyed it, and keep describing it as "a pleasant surprise," which makes it sound like finding change under the couch cushion.

I was eager to see it, willing to give it a chance and completely unaware of any boycott and I just didn't care about 90% of what we were shown on screen.

I had the tiniest shred of hope that it wouldn't be a by the numbers punch list of Han's exploits but it was exactly that for me.

If they wanted Lando to be aroused by droids then a Lara Croft kind of droid would have been cool, in the style of French sci-fi comics from the 70s, but using a Commodore robot is just ridiculous.

Just my opinion but...

Normally I would agree but i was keeping an eye on the fan “want to see” meter on on RottenTomatoes for the last week and a half.

They
Managed to get it down 36% on opening day...its back up to 60^ now.

Kathleen Kennedy and the current directors made every effort possible to insult the fans and destroy the previous lore and characters we grew up with. And then to insult the fans who disagree with their product?

No matter what the Tomatometer reads...this film is boring, and would get less than half of what it has already made if it did not have the name "Star Wars" attached to the title.

What I can't fathom is that a lot of people on Reddit are LOVING all the callbacks and forward references. Eventually we'll be able to patch together all the dialogue from one movie and write the script for the next one.

Can't wait for Solo 2 to show us where the training probe came from, Han building the smuggling compartments, dumping Jabba's shipment, maybe throw in a couple trash compactor jokes for good measure.

I had to take a wiz in the middle of the movie, and came back during the battle where Lando's droid got destroyed. Was the weird monkey-looking wookiee with Chewbacca a wookiee-looking monkey, or just a regular old wookiee with a severe case of face mange?

Normally I would agree but i was keeping an eye on the fan “want to see” meter on on RottenTomatoes for the last week and a half.

They
Managed to get it down 36% on opening day...its back up to 60^ now.

The "audience score" is at 61%. I didn't see the "want to see" score listed.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back