Solo: A Star Wars Story

Yes, but they were the same height. Every Bond actor has been around 6'2". Except this latest one, who's a bulky, stumpy 5'9". If his too short stature for the character is not bad enough, the man looks Russian. He looks like he should be playing a Bond villain's henchman. I realize he is British--Welsh, to be precise, IIRC--but he sure doesn't look it.

The Wook

I'd wager that when Moore took over, NO ONE said 'well, at least they're the same height'. Who cares? hell, people likely had no clue how tall they were. If you say connery was 6'-2", i'll take your word for it, but i had no clue whatsoever.

The height is completely irrelevant. 90% of the audience won't notice, if not more. Now, they WILL notice he bares no resemblance whatsoever to the Han we've known for 30 years. That could be an issue. Then again, i don't recally may flicks where the guy taking over for someone actually really looked like the guy he was replacing. FFS, Kenner's second han figure from ANH looked nothing like the first! :)

People seem to be suggesting looks should have overwritten everything. Maybe the guy who looked like him sucked out loud in the audition? No one knows why one guy got it and the other didn't. I'm not a fan of the choice, but they could prove me wrong. I'm open to that possibility. It is getting pretty old to hear people @#$%ing about it without a shred of evidence as to how good or bad he actually is.

I'd wager that when Moore took over, NO ONE said 'well, at least they're the same height'. Who cares? hell, people likely had no clue how tall they were. If you say connery was 6'-2", i'll take your word for it, but i had no clue whatsoever.

The height is completely irrelevant. 90% of the audience won't notice, if not more. Now, they WILL notice he bares no resemblance whatsoever to the Han we've known for 30 years. That could be an issue. Then again, i don't recally may flicks where the guy taking over for someone actually really looked like the guy he was replacing. FFS, Kenner's second han figure from ANH looked nothing like the first! :)

People seem to be suggesting looks should have overwritten everything. Maybe the guy who looked like him sucked out loud in the audition? No one knows why one guy got it and the other didn't. I'm not a fan of the choice, but they could prove me wrong. I'm open to that possibility. It is getting pretty old to hear people @#$%ing about it without a shred of evidence as to how good or bad he actually is.

This is not an evidence or facts based crowd, it's just a mob mentality. I don't believe they even bothered to audition the look alike guy.

LF had to get an acting coach to teach Ehrenreich how to act. How much more evidence do you need?

with all this secrecy to this movie, all the negativity, i hope this movie blows all the others out of the air... i seriously doubt it will happen, but i would laugh my hardest coming out of the theater if it was really good, and thinking back at all the negativity wasted over it
As much as I don't like the casting and the idea of this movie - I agree with you. I hope it does surprise us, I hope it is a solid film... I don't think it can come close to what TLJ did for me, but... ya never know.

Looking through Ron Howard's list of directorial efforts - he's a solid moviemaker. Sure, they're not all Apollo 13 or Backdraft - but, I guess if there's someone in the extended LFL family to hand this off to - there's not many folks out there with the kinda history Howard has. This alone gives me a little more help.

Still a lot of wasted negative energy that changes nothing. :)
Hey, they redeemed Vader at the end of the Jedi... anything is possible.

Why does Bond come up every time an actor is cast into a pre-existing role? Bond is based on a book, so reinventing the character takes on a completely different meaning than when a character is essentially created by a particular actor (Harrison Ford as Han Solo and Indiana Jones, for example). In this case, it makes sense to try and cast an actor that at least has a decent resemblance to the original.

James Bond can be more accurately compared to recasting Sherlock Holmes. Although everyone has their favorite, a new version doesn't necessary have to relate at all to any previous incarnations.

...Kenner's second han figure from ANH looked nothing like the first!...
I remember two 12in Han figures, one looked like Ron Silver and the other looked like Gregory Harrison.

...People seem to be suggesting looks should have overwritten everything. Maybe the guy who looked like him sucked out loud in the audition? No one knows why one guy got it and the other didn't. I'm not a fan of the choice, but they could prove me wrong. I'm open to that possibility. It is getting pretty old to hear people @#$%ing about it without a shred of evidence as to how good or bad he actually is.
I've only seen one movie scene each from AE and AI, and they both seemed to do an equally competent job. AI looks the part, AE had a recommendation from Spielberg.

X-Men origin movies. The only slight resemblance between actors was Jean Grey in Apocalypse.
Fassbender couldn't even hide his Irish accent. :facepalm

AE is gonna suck. This movie will sink or float based on Donald Glover and some woman from GoT.

I've only seen one movie scene each from AE and AI, and they both seemed to do an equally competent job. AI looks the part, AE had a recommendation from Spielberg.

Boom! And there you have it! I would only add, that AI not only looks the part, but sounds the part.

AE is gonna suck. This movie will sink or float based on Donald Glover and some woman from GoT.

Oh Snap! Is Captain Phasma gonna be in this?! She is AWESOME!!!

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back