Solo: A Star Wars Story

i've seen the rough cut. turns out Han was a woman before a freak hyperspace accident turned her into a man.
that"s why 80's lando hair is looking at him so strangely in that calander artwork.
I'll NEVER watch a star wars again! (whats up with boba's gait? that's not how he walked in the ot. reminds me of John Wayne sashaying about.....).

Last edited:
You have to look at the facts here.

Disney is not in the business of taking risks or making good or challenging movies when it comes to Star Wars now that they own it, the bottom line is that they want to make as much money as possible.
They are quite clever. They make a Young Han Solo movie, and know the gullible fans will eat it up whether it is good or not. They can estimate that the movie will make a good tidy profit, even if word of mouth is bad, as opening weekends will be huge for anything star wars related. You can put your mortgage on it.

The casting that we know of is completely wrong according to many, with the lead actor, the casting of a short guy who looks more like Ray Liotta than Harrison Ford, and that we now find out has needed acting lessons while on set.
If that is isn't enough to worry people, then nothing will. Its even more surprising given that Alden Ehrenreich was considered some sort of young acting God and one of Hollywoods rising stars and all people kissing his backside like he was Al Pacino or something. We could be proven wrong and he may turn out to be a Brando, but its looking unlikely.

Also, the snobbish nature of some suggesting that that the impressionist guy wouldn't be able to play the lead character is a bit laughable, given that we aren't exactly dealing with high art or quality films here in this current iteration of Star Wars. We are dealing with cheesy and fun popcorn movies that require no thinking or effort on the audiences part. The type of audiences for these need to be spoonfed everything, so snubbing a potential option of actor because they are an impressionist is a bit sad really. There are many actors working today who also do impressions, and besides everyone has to start somewhere. I'm pretty sure Mark Hamill wasn't a known actor before Star Wars, as was several others.

With Ehrenreich, It looks like a case of casting couch events going on here. I wouldn't be surprised given how seedy Hollywood really is.

Hopefully Ron Howard has salvaged something watchable out of this, the majority of his work is quite good.

You have to look at the facts here.

Disney is not in the business of taking risks or making good or challenging movies when it comes to Star Wars now that they own it, the bottom line is that they want to make as much money as possible.
They are quite clever. They make a Young Han Solo movie, and know the gullible fans will eat it up whether it is good or not. They can estimate that the movie will make a good tidy profit, even if word of mouth is bad, as opening weekends will be huge for anything star wars related. You can put your mortgage on it.

The casting that we know of is completely wrong according to many, with the lead actor, the casting of a short guy who looks more like Ray Liotta than Harrison Ford, and that we now find out has needed acting lessons while on set.
If that is isn't enough to worry people, then nothing will. Its even more surprising given that Alden Ehrenreich was considered some sort of young acting God and one of Hollywoods rising stars and all people kissing his backside like he was Al Pacino or something. We could be proven wrong and he may turn out to be a Brando, but its looking unlikely.

Also, the snobbish nature of some suggesting that that the impressionist guy wouldn't be able to play the lead character is a bit laughable, given that we aren't exactly dealing with high art or quality films here in this current iteration of Star Wars. We are dealing with cheesy and fun popcorn movies that require no thinking or effort on the audiences part. The type of audiences for these need to be spoonfed everything, so snubbing a potential option of actor because they are an impressionist is a bit sad really. There are many actors working today who also do impressions, and besides everyone has to start somewhere. I'm pretty sure Mark Hamill wasn't a known actor before Star Wars, as was several others.

With Ehrenreich, It looks like a case of casting couch events going on here. I wouldn't be surprised given how seedy Hollywood really is.

Hopefully Ron Howard has salvaged something watchable out of this, the majority of his work is quite good.

This is hilarious. Some of the best satire I've seen posted on this site. Thoroughly enjoyable.

airair

All great points. The "one per year" schedule they're working on has really caused them to make some mistakes with the franchise. Nothing that will kill it, to be sure. But, they are really rushing these things out. TFA only got the time it had because JJ has enough clout to get the schedule pushed back and consequently seems to be the best of the new SW movies so far.

With Solo the acting coach is the probably the most glaring problem. Special skills coaches like gun/knife training or a dialect coach...sure. But an actual acting coach to teach the main actor how to act? I would have just replaced him, especially if they are gonna just re-shoot 80% of the movie.

I also look for GoT actors as a sign that casting has gone wrong. They shove them into movies merely due to their GoT popularity. Emilia Clarke was very bland in Terminator: Genesys. They should have gotten an experienced big-screen actor someone like Emma Stone or Mary Winstead for Solo.

It's just too bad that SW does have a large group of militant fans that don't like to hear criticism. If more people could admit what is going wrong with these productions, maybe LF would have incentive to increase their effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like this guy > image.png as General Dodonna.........not even close!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 66
@airair
It's just too bad that SW does have a large group of militant fans that don't like to hear criticism. If more people could admit what is going wrong with these productions, maybe LF would have incentive to increase their effort.

Well, what I learned from TLJ was that not the fans are the real problem. It's an awful movie, with probably the worst script in SW history (prequels included) and some totally wrong placed political messages that make no sense and yet critics love it. I've read a few non-spoiler critics before watching it and thougth these guys just watched the movie of the decade. I had very low expectations and was still pretty underwhelmed and humilated by this crap.

There's no campaign for solo, no teasers, no trailers nothing. The only thing I realise is that disney promoted this piece of **** called TLJ for two years straight. So you could suggest not even Disney believes in Solo.

Last edited:
Well, what I learned from TLJ was that not the fans are the real problem. It's an awful movie, with probably the worst script in SW history (prequels included) and some totally wrong placed political messages that make no sense and yet critics love it. I've read a few non-spoiler critics before watching it and thoguth this guys just watched the movie of the decade. I had very low expectations and was still pretty underwhelmed and humilated by this crap.

There's no campaign for solo, no teasers, no trailers nothing. The only thing I realise is that disney promoted this piece of **** called TLJ for two years straight. So you could suggest not even Disney believes in Solo.

That could also be a victim of the schedule and shooting. They had to essentially remake the movie. That means less time for promoting and touring.

That could also be a victim of the schedule and shooting. They had to essentially remake the movie. That means less time for promoting and touring.

Probably true. But if somethings not working out in schedule they should reschedule it. It's not like they need to release it this year. They earned a huge ****load of money with TFA, RO and "The Last Director who should ever get another job in any universe". I know that's a problem in the film industry entirely. But I remember times where studios really tried to make good movies.

If I read news about Disney and Star Wars I kinda think that the source of all their problems is coming from Kennedy and people on her or similar levels. It has to be easy to work for them as long as you have female lead and put some poorly placed social issues in it, you can actually do what you want.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back