So, no RPF love for the new pilot, Poe Dameron?

No, actually, it's not. Looks at the high res pics of the trim on a sleeve. It's not the elastic, it's a woven product. The elastic is incorrect.

This was posted here on the RPF by someone who took the pic. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=ZVp3TUNMM0JxRV9mcW14dDVrU2tXNkNVRkRNeTBB

Fifty years of sewing experience talking here - the sleeve trim looks like they wardrobe team used self fabric (the same fabric as the flight suit is made from) and cartridge pleated it. Interesting little divot on the ends.

Lynn

Found this pic on Starwars.com not sure if it's been posted previously.

EP7_IA_118197_R.jpg

Fifty years of sewing experience talking here - the sleeve trim looks like they wardrobe team used self fabric (the same fabric as the flight suit is made from) and cartridge pleated it. Interesting little divot on the ends.
Lynn

It does look like they may have done a cartridge pleat, maybe padded out a little with strip of cotton quilt batting or similar, but not sure about the little indent on the ends of each 'pleat'.

This thread has been really helpful so far in planning for my generic pilot, so thank you all for your hard work and dedication.
For any fellow aussies hanging around here I plan on 3D printing the helmet and if all goes well I may start printing it for people locally who dont want to pay the usual crazy overseas shipping. I'll also most likely be printing the chest box and glie-44 and almost definitely be printing leg flare sets.
I'd like to ask if anyone's had any luck with making the holster for the glie-44, and also the vest. I feel that that vest will most definitely be a bit of a pain. Does anyone have a sort of pattern made up/guide of some sort and if you have made it what fabrics did you use? From the images I've looked at it seems to have a similar kind of appearance to a lot of life jackets used on boats (I have one sitting next to me at the moment comparing it to the image I have up of the vest) but the padded bits continue to confuse me, as does the clasp below the chest box.

Hey ShanJ, I'm in Oz and would be really interested.
I also have a massive 3D printer, so if you ever need anything large printed, let me know and I can probably print anything in one piece.

It does look like they may have done a cartridge pleat, maybe padded out a little with strip of cotton quilt batting or similar, but not sure about the little indent on the ends of each 'pleat'.

I think that little indent is an extra pleat, but instead of running the thread through the middle of the pleat, they are running it through the fabric very close to the fold. I don't think batting would be necessary as the fabric itself has body and cartridge pleating will add texture.

Lynn

Ah, I think you are right.
The fabric colour does look a little different in all of the shots and in the movie though. If it is Cordoba, then it is probably just the way the light hits it, but the pleats definitely do look lighter for whatever reason, and the pleated parts look softer/more pilly than the main costume.

Hello All! I'm currently working on the flak vest. I've got the lower part of the vest down. What I'm having issues with is the large collar piece. I'm not much of a seamstress, and I was wondering if anyone had a pattern or even a general shape for the cloth that needs to be cut out to make that piece. Thanks!

uploadfromtaptalk1453052208874.jpg
Here is a pic of my vest so far I still need to get some white Jersey material for the front of the vest. Which is what the chest box attaches to. I can take pics from other angles if it will help anyone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello All! I'm currently working on the flak vest. I've got the lower part of the vest down. What I'm having issues with is the large collar piece. I'm not much of a seamstress, and I was wondering if anyone had a pattern or even a general shape for the cloth that needs to be cut out to make that piece. Thanks!
uploadfromtaptalk1453072805680.jpeg this was given to me by a good friend of mine and it is what I used.

This thread has been so helpful in building my plan of attack on this costume. You guys are awesome.

I grabbed some shots of the blaster, helmet, and quadnoculars from Launch Bay in Florida. I'll have pics from the displays in California soon.

DSC00023.JPG DSC00026.JPG
DSC00028.JPG
DSC00033.JPG DSC00032.JPG

View attachment 578573
Here is a pic of my vest so far I still need to get some white Jersey material for the front of the vest. Which is what the chest box attaches to. I can take pics from other angles if it will help anyone.

Thank you!!!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 578694 this was given to me by a good friend of mine and it is what I used.

Thank you very much! The diagram is super helpful!

View attachment 573086

I've spent the week perusing this thread for future Resistance Pilot plans -- Thank you all for your hard work and great eyes!

I noticed some banter about the pilot gloves -- does anyone have the model information for the single-thumb plate gloves? Jessika Pava appears to have one plate, where Poe and Snap appear to have two plates on the thumb.

Thanks!

It looks a lot like these: http://www.arnold-ppe.com/M300.asp

does anyone have any leads/tips for making his restraint cuffs? I'm thinking of doing mine like bracelets and just putting my wrists together for pictures

We have officially started on Poe's regular shirt and pants from the beginning of the film. The shirt will be 100% Italian linen and the pants a 100% cotton twill.

We're currently estimating the pants to be $175 and the shirt to be $125. Shipping is included in the cost and they are fully made-to-measure.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back