So, I get a few of My MR Retailer Ex. Helmets

Originally posted by Qui-Gonzalez+Jan 26 2006, 09:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Qui-Gonzalez @ Jan 26 2006, 09:25 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-TK765
@Jan 26 2006, 07:25 AM
The Vader e-mail doesn't really address the Clone helmets.
[snapback]1168573[/snapback]​
It also doesn't address the point about the felt bags being shipped inside the domes. I can see it if the people said the dome had the bag on when they recieved it, but didn't these folks say the bag was stuffed inside the dome?
[snapback]1168632[/snapback]​
[/b]

....the bag was shipped inside the dome because of the "scratchy thread" issue that was found during MR's transportation tests. After which they shipped the helmet with the bag inside the dome.

To me this sounds like a last minute "band aid" fix....why not pack a piece of cloth or fleece when packing the dome inside the styrofoam to prevent the scratching? Especially, if they knew this beforehand?

Either way, hopefully they get this solved....I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to crack open all of the cartons.....

I agree, not even a band aid fix...........they actually took a step back letting the raw styrofoam touch the painted surface. Why include the bag at all???

Oh well. :(

Originally posted by KevVader+Jan 26 2006, 10:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Jan 26 2006, 10:41 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Qui-Gonzalez@Jan 26 2006, 09:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TK765

It also doesn't address the point about the felt bags being shipped inside the domes. I can see it if the people said the dome had the bag on when they recieved it, but didn't these folks say the bag was stuffed inside the dome?

....the bag was shipped inside the dome because of the "scratchy thread" issue that was found during MR's transportation tests. After which they shipped the helmet with the bag inside the dome.

To me this sounds like a last minute "band aid" fix....why not pack a piece of cloth or fleece when packing the dome inside the styrofoam to prevent the scratching? Especially, if they knew this beforehand?

Either way, hopefully they get this solved....I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to crack open all of the cartons.....
[snapback]1168645[/snapback]​
[/b]
Oh, I read the part about the bag and the threads, but that is not what scratched those helmets since the bags were shipped inside the domes. That was my point. It doesn't address the putty work and the giant ding and poor repaint on the pictured Vader helmet. It doesn't address the the yellowing mismatched paint on other's Clone helmets either.

Originally posted by Qui-Gonzalez+Jan 26 2006, 10:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Qui-Gonzalez @ Jan 26 2006, 10:08 AM)</div>
Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 26 2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Qui-Gonzalez@Jan 26 2006, 09:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TK765

[snapback]1168645[/snapback]​
Oh, I read the part about the bag and the threads, but that is not what scratched those helmets since the bags were shipped inside the domes. That was my point. It doesn't address the putty work and the giant ding and poor repaint on the pictured Vader helmet. It doesn't address the the yellowing mismatched paint on other's Clone helmets either.
[snapback]1168657[/snapback]​
[/b]

....the styrofoam caused the abrasions on the top of the dome....which they apparently found out about later....

Either way, I agree that they don't address the other , and more important IMO, issues regarding the Vader...i.e. chipping, sloppy repair/repaint.
If the scratches can be buffed out, I can at least live with that. But chips, cracks and other stuff....then I will be sending mine back.

This is crazy tho....Hell, for the $ I paid, I shouldn't have to worry about any of this...let alone expecting to have to ship it back.

And yes, they should address the Clone issues ASAP.......

Originally posted by Rodann+Jan 25 2006, 05:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rodann @ Jan 25 2006, 05:21 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Jan 25 2006, 11:31 AM
Cuz I'm telling ya, all of the great stuff that MR has produced in the past will be quickly forgotten if these helmet issues are not corrected....especially for the money that these helmets cost and the length of time that people have had to wait to get them....
[snapback]1167749[/snapback]​

Imagine if Ford pre-sold hundreds of cars, only to have "quality issues". :rolleyes Apples and oranges, I know, but you get the point.

Not sure if I should cancel or not............Maybe I should wait til it gets here......
[snapback]1168265[/snapback]​
[/b]

Why not Dodge did on their Durangos and Dakotas with the ball joints :angry

Still most of us Dodge owners did get the stuff fixed that they recalled....

I hope my helmet comes in good shape but I will definitely be on the phone to their customer service to get it replaced if it's bad. $400.00 bucks is $400.00 bucks. I don't think anyone buys anything from a manufacturer with the intent that it will come flawed or other than described no matter the price.

I know making a helmet isn't easy especially when it comes to getting consistent paint jobs and pulls but unfortunately if you are the 'official source' and you talk the the talk you better walk the walk.

I've only had to call MR customer service once and they were exceptional so I have no reason to believe that they won't be again. :thumbsup

G

Originally posted by grimlock2d+Jan 26 2006, 10:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grimlock2d @ Jan 26 2006, 10:36 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Rodann@Jan 25 2006, 05:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Jan 25 2006, 11:31 AM
Cuz I'm telling ya, all of the great stuff that MR has produced in the past will be quickly forgotten if these helmet issues are not corrected....especially for the money that these helmets cost and the length of time that people have had to wait to get them....

Imagine if Ford pre-sold hundreds of cars, only to have "quality issues". :rolleyes Apples and oranges, I know, but you get the point.

Not sure if I should cancel or not............Maybe I should wait til it gets here......
[snapback]1168265[/snapback]​

Why not Dodge did on their Durangos and Dakotas with the ball joints :angry

Still most of us Dodge owners did get the stuff fixed that they recalled....

[snapback]1168683[/snapback]​
[/b]

If it was only that easy...I'd just drive over to my MR Dealer service center and have them do the recall work on my Vader lid while I had a coffee and looked at the new models in the showroom....*wakes up*

Well I've got 2 outstanding Clone Helmets so I REALLY hope I'm not going to have a problem with mine but it sounds like thats unlikely. The first one I got (Star Corps) was good, not perfect but acceptable despite a little problem with the clear-coat.

However, living in the UK means I WILL get stung for customs (likely to be ANOTHER $120) and If I have to ship one of mine all the way back to the US then I could well get charged customs AGAIN when MR sends the fault-free helmet back.

Cheers

Jez

Amen Jez... this is my same all story as well, Living is outside the USA is a shame (just for this kind of things... as I wouldnt change it for where I live ), but the customs are killer ...

My advise: always ask the seller to open the box and check it all before sending... We will have to wait even more, because it wont be perfect, :p, but at least we wont pay customs twice...

My OPS is on the way, let´s cross the fingers :$

I'm ASSuming that the replacement lids will carry a $0 dec value - the government can't double-dip on a single payment - MR will have to address the replacement as exactly that - $0 billing to the customer.

Kinda burnt out on the whole MR thing right now, I'll call t'mow or Mon to confirm the above...

-Rod

Originally posted by KevVader+Jan 25 2006, 12:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Jan 25 2006, 12:31 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Seth B
@Jan 25 2006, 11:21 AM
The MR helms are mass-produced, yes?  I would expect exact perfection from pieces individually made by an artisan, but some less than perfect pieces should be expected when something is mass-produced.  Not to say it's not unfortunate, it's a real bummer.  It's a fact that it will happen though.  Quality control is usually done at the end of a production line, in a warehouse, for a few seconds, mostly to make sure it's not broken, or missing something before it's packed.  Under these conditions things like a tiny paint run, or a miniscule chip, will go unnoticed.  Is MR making good on anyone's returns?
[snapback]1167728[/snapback]​

I totally disagree....Quality Control is performed before the item is shipped to a warehouse. If "little" things like a chip are getting missed...then MR should revisit their QC process and make it better to catch these errors.

Cuz I'm telling ya, all of the great stuff that MR has produced in the past will be quickly forgotten if these helmet issues are not corrected....especially for the money that these helmets cost and the length of time that people have had to wait to get them....I think MR should chime in pretty soon....
[/b]

What I mean by warehouse, is warehouse lighting and conditions. Are MR helms manufactured in a brightly-lit clean-room? I doubt it. Theres no way that some dude looking at a helmet for five seconds, under dim lighting, is going to see a chip the size of a grain of rice. I'm not saying it's okay, it's just a problem that is common for mass production. The real test will be if MR replaces the defective helmets, or tightens it's QC to meet the scrutiny of collectors.

Quote: MR/ The paint can take up to several weeks to fully cure depending on the environmental conditions. That is why they were placed in fleece bags that can “breath.”

...........................................................................................................

So, you're shipping product you know isn't dry and allowing it to dry in transit?

I've gotta ask the tough question, here. "Why not allow these to dry before shipping them and you would be able to wrap them in plastic and there would be no problem?"

There was already a delay...what's another week or so to guarantee a well packaged piece?

Also, Why are pieces shipping as new that appear to have been damaged and cleaned up? Spot repairs, etc.?

MR replied as to the "problem" for the Vader helmets, but they havent responded to Clones yet? :unsure Does that unnerve anyone else? They had to have seen the threads.

Hi Imprisoned Fett,

There is not a big issue with the Clone helmets as opposed to the Vader helmets. There are not that many people that received a bad Clone helmet, only a few and we will go ahead and replace these helmets for the customers who got one that wasn't perfect.

With regards to the missing plaques in one of the helmets, the Special Ops, we are going to get everyone their plaques.

Originally posted by ImprisonedFett@Jan 27 2006, 02:29 PM
MR replied as to the "problem" for the Vader helmets, but they havent responded to Clones yet? :unsure  Does that unnerve anyone else?  They had to have seen the threads.
[snapback]1169520[/snapback]​

Originally posted by ImprisonedFett@Jan 27 2006, 02:29 PM
MR replied as to the "problem" for the Vader helmets, but they havent responded to Clones yet? :unsure  Does that unnerve anyone else?  They had to have seen the threads.
[snapback]1169520[/snapback]​

I think they are hoping it will go away.

I believe the production delays are the clue. They probably had a high flaw rate in the work and decided to just rework the flawed product and hope no one would notice. What % of the run was flawed is the question. Now its a crap shoot to see if you can get a replacement that isn't reworked.

Those of us that recieved helmets with yellowed flat areas can see these are spot repairs, unfortunately done with a paint that does not match.

I have issues with 2 of the 3 helmets I have and I didn't even look at one of them yet. So thats 66% flaw rate based on the 3 I have, it could be 100%.

The brush off comment by MR thats its a isolated issue is not realistic.

My Star Corps was certainly acceptable although I would not call it "perfect" since the clear coating was inconsistant in a couple of places.

I'm hearing from a mate in the US who's checked my Red helmet (just delivered), that its "not as good" as the Yellow he previously on-shipped to me. So now I'm wondering whether to accept it or not.

Given all the reports I really dont think its fair to say that there's a problem with "only a few" of the clones. However I'm pleased that MR has said they'll put them right.

Cheers

Jez

Guess I'll repeat my post since it was skipped over. I was just going to leave this alone and move on. But, MR customer care has joined this thread and really isn't answering the question. Forgive me if I missed it or I'm off base in some way but your comments are a little alarming for props of this value.

Quote: MR/ The paint can take up to several weeks to fully cure depending on the environmental conditions. That is why they were placed in fleece bags that can “breath.”

...........................................................................................................

So, you're shipping product you know isn't dry and allowing it to dry in transit?

I've gotta ask the tough question, here. "Why not allow these to dry before shipping them and you would be able to wrap them in plastic and there would be no problem?"

There was already a delay...what's another week or so to guarantee a well packaged piece?

Also, Why are pieces shipping as new that appear to have been damaged and cleaned up? Spot repairs, etc.?

To imply that people are being a little fussy because a given item isn't 'perfect' suggests you may not understand the collectors with whom you are working.

Like comics, baseball cards, etc. Grading is everything. One does expect perfection with certain collectibles. It's part of the market. Some companies do nothing but grade so it's not something to be flip about.

We do grade in this market and dings, scratches and touched-up blemish deminish the value of any prop. If a (insert name here) comic is perfect except for a little corner ding or a small scuff on the back, Well; it's not perfect...It's value changes. It's no different with props. If you sell an item at a collectors premium, the collector has every right to expect a prop of proper caliber.

MR has made fine pieces in the past and I'm certain there will be others. But, there are several recent threads pertaining to apparent QC issues. If the collectors take the rime to ask, post photos and even make suggestions here, I believe the answers from the manufacturer could be a little more up, that's all.

How will a numbered item be replaced?

It was my understanding that an item which is part of a limited edition "run" has special value due to the number available, which is fixed. There is also value associated with actual Numbered Edition that is received.

If one helmet gets sent back, and all helmets of the "edition" are exhausted, will another helmet be created to replace a defective one? If that happens the "edition" size grows by one, and then nullifies the original intent. If #12 of 750 gets replaced with #751 of #750, then...well...it starts to get messy.

Do these helmets, Vader and Clones fall under this, or does Numbered Limited Editions not mean what I thought it did?

I noticed that the White Clones are listed as "LE" now.

I am just looking for some clarity on what "Special Edition", "Limited Edition", etc means.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back