So, I get a few of My MR Retailer Ex. Helmets

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Rylo, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll post pics later but has anyone else got the retailer exclusive trooper helmets in yet?

I'm sea sick from looking at the ripples and the wonky paint.....oy.
    No paperwork...no plaques. Clear coat is rough in some spots... slick in others.

Anyone else? problems?

2. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Oh man, not again. This is the Special Ops, right?

Great. :unsure

3. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

This does not sounds good.....

Mine is not yet on the way but the Shocktrooper is arriving soon.

4. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

That's very sad. :(

5. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

hmmmmmm, hopefully its just a couple of bad apples in the bunch

6. Rylo

It's difficult to photograph what I'm talking about but the 4 helmets I've seen all look the same.

The paint jobs are just spotty... there are areas with crooked lines and hazy clear coat. The trim work is also off...looks hacked in some areas and the liners have glue residue here and there.

Oh' well...

I'll post more pics later. Here's a shot showing how wavy/wonky this sculpt or at least this pull looks.

7. WilliamsSkeletor

WilliamsSkeletor Well-Known Member

8. Rylo

Thanks for the link. I didn't see those...

Yes, these have the exact issues. There are areas that seem to have been repainted on these, too.

It is difficult to photograph these things. It's just B- and C grade work. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling these to anyone. They would just get returned anyway.

9. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

well, most people wanted a weathered version anyways, and thats what they'll get

10. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

easily noticed in the first pic you posted :unsure

seems to be happening to a portion of all thier helmets

11. Rylo

They need to start consulting prop makers again and they wouldn't have these issues. "These are not 399.00 pieces in my opinion."

12. skygunbro

skygunbro Well-Known Member

The krinkled paint that was mentioned is a problem called krazing or orange peel it usually occurs when paint is sprayed over a non compatible material or paint.....this has happened to me when spraying enamel paint over an acrylic primer...this also can happen if a residue was on that area such as a release agent etc...
    The yellowed sections are probably caused by a bad batch or old paint...Im not sure what they use on these but alot of base coat clear coat paints have a shelf life and start to seperate even if mixed well before applying this will show up in the dry paint as yellowed or off white areas. And when I say old thats not to say its been sitting around for years alot of cheaper automotive paints start to go bad once they meet the air and must be used within about a week and then discarded...
    The dull or dead spots in the clear coat is cause most likely by over spray and not putting on the final wetting coat where the whole helmet has to be wet with clear coat so it all blends and dries uniformly......
    My take is if they delayed shipping because of "quality control issues" ;) and now these are coming out looking like this then I would have hated to see them before. For the money people shouldnt have to weather them or repaint them.
    The helmet itself is very nice and over all imo well done...but they got to get some better quality paints and people who know how to work with it properly....

13. Rylo

It's not just the paint...the pulls are wonky and the finish work is bad.

14. skygunbro

Outsourcing at its finest.....
    Bad pulls can mean a couple things the molds are degrading or always had those flaws incorperated in them to begin with ,or the fiberglass isn't being mixed properly....if to much catalyst is used the fiberglass cures to quick gets real hot and shrinks and warps even out of a perfectly straight mold causing the wonky cast issues.....Sorry about your troubles I hope you can swap it out for a better one.

15. Rylo

Thanks but I know why it happens...

My point is, it shouldn't be happening. I've seen better product come out of garages.

16. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

How can that be, they are "screen accurate."

17. skygunbro

:lol :lol :lol

Well I wasnt sure if you knew chestrockwell...and I agree with you. The info I posted was for those who dont work with fiberglass etc. I highly doubt the molds have those flaws in them im sure it's fiberglass issue...the only way to know for sure is to see if other helamt owners have the same waves etc. in the same places..that will be the only way to know for sure.

18. theotherbruce

theotherbruce New Member

the problem i had with my star corps wasn't even the paint, there was ridiculous bubbling underneath the plastic of the visor that i couldn't even hope to smooth out...so back it went...

19. WilliamsSkeletor

WilliamsSkeletor Well-Known Member

Rocketsauce,
    Did you return it to have it exchanged? I want to take care of this as soon as possible, so I need to decide if I want it exchanged, or credit back, or what... The helmet's already boxed up and ready to go back home to MR.

-Roger

20. tk421mv7

tk421mv7 Well-Known Member

I have a Spec. Ops on order from SWS.com and you guys are seriously scaring the cr@p out of me...

I have a Star Corps and it seems okay to me, but either I got lucky or maybe I just shouldn't look too closely.

21. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Ditto.

I'd rather wait a little longer and MR get these right

Cheers

Jez

22. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

After reading all this, I'm glad I decided on not getting in on the MR helmets. Sounds like they could benefit from working out a few more of the kinks.

23. soltic

soltic Active Member

That's it, I just posted on the plain white bucket thread that I'm fence sitting on taking my plain white, but this isn't funny.

I'm w/ Mr. Jez on this one, & I'm cancelling my order.

This needs some serious sorting out.

I can also say I wouldn't want to be in MR's shoes right now, I don't think they want a product like this out there, hence the obvious lack of any MR blog re white or Spec Ops buckets being first opened by any RPF'ers or anyone else for that matter....

-Rod

24. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So all these delays so that the customer will get the best product possible were just a bunch of lies? :rolleyes

25. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

Come on fellas... these helmets were in all likelihood made in the Philippines or elsewhere by hourly waged employees. This incessant nit-picking is really silly in the grand scheme of things, regardless of what you paid for it.

I bet if these same helmets were made and hand-painted in the US by hourly employees making minimum wage that they'd look even worse. Unless you wanted to pay upwards of $1000 per helmet to have them meticulously painted by a master, I think everyone should be happy with what they got unless there is a clear, and blatantly obvious problem. So far, aside from the yellow mixed in the white paint, the issues pointed out are a natural occurrence given the circumstances they're made in.

26. Rylo

You're rather wreckless with other people's cash and in this case, that of my client's... Your post is simply foolish.

If MR wants to offer a B and C grade product for one price and a Premium product for another; so be it. Hell, they already do with Elite versions but at least you can make an educated, informed purchase when given the option.

According to you, people deserve half rate product for 400.00 and something painted to perfection for 1000.00?

Amazing. I think you'll find yourself alone on this one.
    I doubt you'd accept any of these pieces if they were sold to you.

Have you held one?
    Have you seen one with your own two eyes?
    Have you purchased one?

Look, (pulls out resume) I've managed to engineer, manage and/or construct countless runs of props over the last decade. Some private, some studio and some for license holders...I remain a full time, professional prop maker. I think I know paint runs, clearcoat over-spray, wonky pulls and questionable construction when I see it.

If you think the product is okay for the cash; great, buy it. But, don't show up and foolishly lecture concerned collectors, builders and retailers on an item they are attempting to discuss in a an otherwise, civil manner.

After having made your ignorance audiable, I estimate a pile-on that will shame you to silence rather soon.

27. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

So customers shouldn't expect quality control unless they cough up $1000? Until then then they should be happy with whatever they get? :confused

No doubt about it.

Lonnie

28. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Well, this info wasn't noted in their advertising literature, so I would assume that the product should be delivered as pictured....perfect.

A "natural occurrence"? :rolleyes ....no, it's called shoddy workmanship...and that should be solved by quality control....before the product even gets to the consumer.

29. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

I got the SWshop.com exclusive, and thought ti was pretty good. Someone commented that there were a few things wrongs with it, compared to the digital versions. I got my Red and plain white helms last night.... I can see that mt SWshop.com helm was overworked. First, the sqint in the visor, the SWshop helm is very wide... but the other 2 are smaller , then there is the lip around the visor.. my whithe and red helms have a noticeable lip around the edge of the visor... not my SWshop helm.. it looks as if it was sanded off. Those were just a few of the diferences. I had the feeling that SWshop got the first batch of helms.... the "practice" ones, just so they could get the helmets out first. Grrrrrrrrrrr

30. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

Wow....just wow.....

Jim

31. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

The MR helms are mass-produced, yes? I would expect exact perfection from pieces individually made by an artisan, but some less than perfect pieces should be expected when something is mass-produced. Not to say it's not unfortunate, it's a real bummer. It's a fact that it will happen though. Quality control is usually done at the end of a production line, in a warehouse, for a few seconds, mostly to make sure it's not broken, or missing something before it's packed. Under these conditions things like a tiny paint run, or a miniscule chip, will go unnoticed. Is MR making good on anyone's returns?

32. Star Wars Helmets

Can you post any pics?

Cheers

jez

33. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

You quoted EXACTLY what I was about to type.

I've seen a lot of dumb things said on this forum in the past, but the above is just up there. What the poster is failing to see is that there IS a blatantly obvious problem. It isn't "yellow mixed with white paint" as he seems to think. It is yellowing paint, mismatched paint, shoddy repairs, abrasions on smooth surfaces and overall * poor QA.

Crappy workmanship is NOT a natural occurence.

34. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

Yes, I own one - got it last month and am very happy with it. Zero complaints.

[​IMG]

35. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

I think that there is a big difference between nit-picking design/accuracy issues and clear and obvious defects. Expecting an all white helmet to be all white is NOT nit-picking.

Using your logic the Rocketeer helmets should still be shipping and no one should have let MR know that there were serious quality control issues.

I also think that it will probably turn out that all of the Vader helmets will have scuff marks on the top of the dome because of the "incorrect" way that the helmets were packed (not using the cloth bag for the dome even though it was used for the other parts). MR needs to be made aware of these issues so that they can be caught and hopefully fixed.

36. Rylo

Quote:

Yes, I own one - got it last month and am very happy with it. Zero complaints.

.....................................................................................................................

A blind squirrel finds an accorn from time to time. :rolleyes

As mentioned, the work is clearly running hot and cold. That's what we're discussing.

Did you miss that? I'm pleased you came out with what you consider, acceptable.

Others have not been so fortunate and the collector should not have to, "Chance it" and see what they'll get...

Rather the point of this post. QC

A discussion such as this may help to advise a company of problems they may not be aware of so we can all enjoy that which they offer.

37. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

I totally disagree....Quality Control is performed before the item is shipped to a warehouse. If "little" things like a chip are getting missed...then MR should revisit their QC process and make it better to catch these errors.

Cuz I'm telling ya, all of the great stuff that MR has produced in the past will be quickly forgotten if these helmet issues are not corrected....especially for the money that these helmets cost and the length of time that people have had to wait to get them....I think MR should chime in pretty soon....

38. Star Wars Helmets

Agreed, I'm sure MR would want to know there is an problem so it has the chance to put it right before this gets to become a serious issue.

As a matter of interest I checked Rebelscum (who have an "Ask Amy/MR" thread) and there's been no mention of any problems there. Strange as there seems to be so many problems here with different Clone helmets and now the Vader.

Cheers

Jez

39. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

From what I've seen, MR did a fabulous job on all these helmets...but these quality control issues are unacceptable. Huge scratches on the Vader dome, wonky paint jobs on the Clone helmets. I'm guessing when they find out about all this, their faces are sure going to be red. They'll take the helmets back I'm sure and hopefully they will stop any further damaged helmets from shipping and replace them with perfect pieces.

40. Rylo

Vader dome, scratches?? I missed this one...link?

41. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

42. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hate to say this but MR is starting to scare me. :eek

First these Helmets have been delayed because of problems and this is what ships? :confused

It seems like every helmet, Rockateer, Vader, and now these have had Major QC Problems.

I think I may reconsider my purchasing the ANH Stormtrooper Helmet.

The odds are way against MR on their Helmets and that is a shame. :(

43. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol Sounds like you are a prefered Customer Of Tom of Universal Armorer. :lol

I have been here for almost 4 years and this post and one on the SDS Thread have really been fun to read... :lol

44. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

this is unbelievable. :angry

hopefully they will have a scratch and dent sale.

someone should suggest that to them... :angel

i mean alot of these things arent things that can be fixed...

so sell em back to us for cheap to be weathered... :love

45. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

I've only gotten a few things from MR and haven't had to send anything back yet. Looks like I might be returning my helmet. I'm just wondering if they pay for return shipping?

46. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

If you call them and explain that you want to exchange a defective product they will send you a prepaid shipping label to stick on the package.

Bruce

47. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Amen. :unsure

Been waiting 9 months for a licensed $400 product.......and this is what starts to show up? The "semi accurate" Star Corps mohawk isn't looking so bad now. Mr should sell REAL well on their TK buckets.

And the Vader has scuffs, too? Wow. Real professional. They should have worked out the QC issues BEFORE selling these in the first place- I've said that all along. You don't take hundreds of orders for something you can't even DO. I took money to build a saber for a guy once, then realized I couldn't do it. I felt like an *. But I'm not a LICENSEE, nor have I taken HUNDREDS of orders. That's pathetic.

Imagine if Ford pre-sold hundreds of cars, only to have "quality issues". :rolleyes Apples and oranges, I know, but you get the point.

Not sure if I should cancel or not............Maybe I should wait til it gets here......

48. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

From my MR dealer, about the Special Ops:

Now they're forgetting plaques and paperwork?

Who's inspecting these things? Stevie Wonder?

49. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What's odd is that MR cust care usually adress these issues but now they're as quiet as a mouse. :confused

50. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Well I got my shock trooper helmet and low and behold there is a large blemished area on the top of the dome. :unsure Plus a couple other defects in small areas.

It looks like a rework job or something, the finish is rough on the aforementioned area, while the rest is pretty glossy.

I guess I will have to send this one back... Had #50 too, this is really getting out of hand. What is funny is the "Passed QC" sticker right when you open the box. :lol