Smooth-on XTC-3D question

Murdoch

Sr Member
800480_zpsea7af1e2.jpg

Hey guys i have a helmet that's 3d printed and i want to use the above product smooth-on xtc-3d. Now the helmet that i have, i want to modify using modelling clay the below pic.
2014-08-19121448_zps0dccc3f0.jpg

Now can i do this and then make a mold with the two products on? Thanx guys in advance...GM

No reason you couldn't, I'd think.... Especially with the sulfur-free clay. I'm not sure how the XTC might affect the clay, but if you just use it first then wash up your print well before modding, I can't see why that wouldn't work. :rolleyes Any idea what you're going to mold with?

Clay and PLA have no issues with body double, that I can say for sure. I havent tried with XTC-3D but given that it doesnt say "dont use with platinum cure silicones" and is from smooth on, Id say you are safe.

No reason you couldn't, I'd think.... Especially with the sulfur-free clay. I'm not sure how the XTC might affect the clay, but if you just use it first then wash up your print well before modding, I can't see why that wouldn't work. :rolleyes Any idea what you're going to mold with?
I plan to coat the entire helmet and clean it up nice, once that is done i wanted to use the clay to modify certain areas. Not sure what i will use to mold, but i want to cast it in the onyx from smooth-on. I may go Friday to pick it all up...GM

Nice man. Yea the XTC-3D product is basically epoxy. I believe it should be fine.

Let me know how you like working with that Clay... debating on which clay i want to work with for an upcoming project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx LM for the video. Saw some areas where i can enhance the technique. The video i thought too many parts at once. Impatience is a killer, but needed if you want top results. The clay i had researched and found this to be the best fit for me. You can remelt it and use over and over again. Going to pick up everything in the morning, then make a go with it on the weekend. Again thanx for the video buddy...GM

I used the XTC 3D for a Bleach/Ichigo Hollow form mask and it turned out very awesome. However, I used a bit too much of it and it smoothed away some details. It works very awesome, but if you put it on too thick, it will smooth away details that you might not want gone.

Other than that, it's really awesome, and really hardens up the print as well. It made a huge difference in the feel of the mask in your hand/on your face as well.

I couldn't recommend it enough.

Picked it up today. Will start in the morning. Will update results. The supplier confirms that the clay will work with the XTC-3d. Thanx again guys...GM

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back