Skyrim Daedric Armor - Foam Build (COMPLETE! Pic Heavy)

Re: Boris Mzhen's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Skyrim Daedric Armor

I can't believe that is made completely out of EVA foam. Is there any way to make it stronger so it could take a beating at a LARP?

I can't believe that is made completely out of EVA foam. Is there any way to make it stronger so it could take a beating at a LARP?

I'm sure it can be reinforced with additional layers of foam. The weak points are at the seams where the hot glue is holding it together. This is not the best armor for LARP though since mobility is pretty restricted in it.

I'm sure it can be reinforced with additional layers of foam. The weak points are at the seams where the hot glue is holding it together. This is not the best armor for LARP though since mobility is pretty restricted in it.

Thanks man. You did an absolutely awesome job.

Note to self, don't over-stuff the duct tape dummy, or this happens over time:

daedric_armor_displayed_dummy2.jpgduct_tape_dummy_burst.jpg

Had to make a new one :( Used 1/3 as much stuffing this time and stronger duct tape. Finally have everything on the dummy:

daedric_armor_displayed_dummy.jpg

Hey there Boris. Your work is really inspiring, I want to make a suit of my own now. How did you go about adapting the Pepakura files for use with EVA foam?

Hey there Boris. Your work is really inspiring, I want to make a suit of my own now. How did you go about adapting the Pepakura files for use with EVA foam?

I took the pepakura files, turned off tabs and reduced the fold threshold slightly (160%) then I joined as many edges as I could that looked almost flush to try to reduce the amount of pieces. It was not as simplified as many foam-ready files you see out there, I still had to work with a ton of pieces.

This is awesome! I cant believe you came in second place and not first! I have used plastics before and have just started using foam, and I feel limited by the thickness of it. It looks like you used different thicknesses of foam in different parts of the build, is that true? If so what types of foam did you use and were you able to source it from stores or the internet? I see the foam matts and maybe craft foam? Congrats!!

This is awesome! I cant believe you came in second place and not first! I have used plastics before and have just started using foam, and I feel limited by the thickness of it. It looks like you used different thicknesses of foam in different parts of the build, is that true? If so what types of foam did you use and were you able to source it from stores or the internet? I see the foam matts and maybe craft foam? Congrats!!

You're correct, I used 3 different thicknesses of foam (1/2", 1/4", and 3mm craft foam). I also sanded it down or built it up with multiple layers if I needed different thicknesses. The craft foam I got at art supply stores, and the thicker foam I ordered online in bulk, although you could find it in stores as well.

I am amazed at the work you did here and the final result. I just got back to playing Skyrim last week and have been thinking about doing a project of my own this year. I have never worked with EVA before, but you make it look so awesome. I don't know if I will take on anything like this, but I will definitely come back and review this thread over and over about what "can" be accomplished.

Bravo!

I am amazed at the work you did here and the final result. I just got back to playing Skyrim last week and have been thinking about doing a project of my own this year. I have never worked with EVA before, but you make it look so awesome. I don't know if I will take on anything like this, but I will definitely come back and review this thread over and over about what "can" be accomplished.

Bravo!

Thank you! Let me know if you decide to start the project and have any questions!

Hey, just wondering if it would be possible for you to post your files. It would help majorly, since i have no experience in converting them to foam. I am really interested in starting this project, but am not sure if i would, if i had to do all that extra work.
Thanks.
And wonderful job by the way. It looks amazing

Last edited:
My little brother asked me to make him a full set of daedric armor for otakon. He's 8. I have never made armor before nor have I ever worked with foam. All I've done in the past was make my costumes with fabric (since those characters don't wear armor). Do you have any tips or helpful hints that will help me accomplish this quest of mine?

My little brother asked me to make him a full set of daedric armor for otakon. He's 8. I have never made armor before nor have I ever worked with foam. All I've done in the past was make my costumes with fabric (since those characters don't wear armor). Do you have any tips or helpful hints that will help me accomplish this quest of mine?

This was my first time making armor as well, so its definitely possible for a first time project. I recommend researching as much as you can on foam building, this forum is a great resource. Try to make something simple first to get comfortable working with foam and pepakura templates. Check out JFCustom's thread for some info and lots of foam files to try:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/jfcustoms-foam-files-148889/

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back