Suggestion Simple Junk Yard requests

Alan and I both said we will take an item in the thread at 1:50. His post appeared first, however, I PMd at 1:46. So technically my contact was first, but I bowed out because Alan deserved the piece. I believe this is just another situation that popped up that was good because it got us discussing the issue and what would work best for the community. :)

So maybe PM contact would be the best way to go for the reasons you guys listed.

Regardless, it's the sellers call in the end. If he worked with you guys, that's his decision which is perfectly fine.

Now, I of course try to make sure the first guy who chimes in gets a given item, but there have been numerous occasions where everything from logistics, customs and failure to come to terms has made that impossible.

Point being. There is no way to draw a line in the sand and say a seller has to do anything except ship what he sells.

I mean, C'mon. No seller wants to **** anyone off, anyway. They won't be around long if they did. On the other hand, if a seller is muscled into doing business with someone because of a mandate and the deal goes south, who's going to stand responsible for it? The RPF, You??

It's simple. Enforce the rules we have and be educated consumers. :thumbsup

-Rylo

Alan and I both said we will take an item in the thread at 1:50. His post appeared first, however, I PMd at 1:46. So technically my contact was first, but I bowed out because Alan deserved the piece. I believe this is just another situation that popped up that was good because it got us discussing the issue and what would work best for the community. :)

So maybe PM contact would be the best way to go for the reasons you guys listed.

I still wish we could have rule that anything other than a run should be combined into on saled thread. I can see if you have a sales thread that is a month old and want to create a new one for a new item... But when you create all 7 threads in one day all in a row???? That is just insane. They are not runs and do not need to stay separate. Just a few moments ago, two separate sellers bumped their threads at the same time. One seller bumped NINE and one bumped SIX. That took up most of page one. They could have each made one thread with all the items there and bumping wouldn't push more than one person off the first page. It is getting old really fast. I know it is not a rule, and the mods have already stated that it is more about using common sense when selling and bumping... But it seems there is not much sense being used and people think their actions don't affect anyone else :confused

I still wish we could have rule that anything other than a run should be combined into on saled thread. I can see if you have a sales thread that is a month old and want to create a new one for a new item... But when you create all 7 threads in one day all in a row???? That is just insane. They are not runs and do not need to stay separate. Just a few moments ago, two separate sellers bumped their threads at the same time. One seller bumped NINE and one bumped SIX. That took up most of page one. They could have each made one thread with all the items there and bumping wouldn't push more than one person off the first page. It is getting old really fast. I know it is not a rule, and the mods have already stated that it is more about using common sense when selling and bumping... But it seems there is not much sense being used and people think their actions don't affect anyone else :confused

It should either be a rule or they should somehow be penalized for doing it. It seems to be getting more and more common.

Point being. There is no way to draw a line in the sand and say a seller has to do anything except ship what he sells.

Good point in regard to who gets "dibs" on an item. You are simply not going to see us make a rule for this. What WOULD be nice is if we could make a "buy it" button" but that isn't going to happen anytime soon, so no point in talking about it.

I hate to break it to you guys, but in the not too distant future, this is going to be not only encouraged, but will likely be enforced. We have been waiting a long time to get this piece into place, and when we do, it is likely going to force members to put one item per sale (unless it is a run of the same item). I understand the concern about one person's listings taking up the entire front page, but we have some ideas on that as well... but just know that there is a reason we aren't taking a stand on this in regard to stopping people from listing single items.

I hate to break it to you guys, but in the not too distant future, this is going to be not only encouraged, but will likely be enforced. We have been waiting a long time to get this piece into place, and when we do, it is likely going to force members to put one item per sale (unless it is a run of the same item). I understand the concern about one person's listings taking up the entire front page, but we have some ideas on that as well... but just know that there is a reason we aren't taking a stand on this in regard to stopping people from listing single items.

Ok thanks. I had no idea you have something in the works :)
Thanks

I have mentioned it previously in another thread, but I think it got lost in the shuffle. One of the things we want to do going forward is to create more of a template for the Junkyard in which the seller will be forced to fill out certain info... somewhat like eBay. A lot of people make a lot of money by selling through the RPF and the Junkyard generates most of the issues we see on the site. With that in mind, we feel it important to place more responsibility upon the seller to be very clear in what they are offering as a lot of sales issues come from miscommunication. In order to do this, it almost forces us to require one item per sales thread.

You wouldn't see that if sellers had to pay a monthly fee for listing more than a couple items per month...

A service charge of sorts.

What is sad is the fact that he has been bumping those threads for a year or more with no takers. I suspect he is one of the people who inspired Funky Jedi's "come to terms, nobody wants your crap" thread. Of course I paraphrased that as I really don't recall what he titled it :lol

just wanted to post this here, as its probably a new record ;)
And this is the only required proof as to why a one-item-per-thread rule is a terrible, terrible idea. If a rule is made, it should be the absolute polar opposite: general gar(b)age sales go in one thread, or you're fired. Period.

Not to toot my own horn, but...ever read one of my sale threads? There's probably too much information in them, but I defy anyone to claim that I've ever been anything but honest and descriptive. Always lots of pictures, thorough descriptions, and very clear rules about payment and shipping.

When I'm composing a sale thread, I try to do it from the perspective of the potential buyer. I try to make everything as clear and straightforward as possible, and I re-read everything multiple times to make sure everything makes sense. Check the pictures. Post prices.

PRICES! For the love of all that is sacred post your ****ing prices. Don't make me guess.

It took me about 3 hours to completely assemble my latest thread and ensure it was ready for public consumption. People NOT taking similar care with their threads simply need to be smacked down.

I have proposed the idea of a 'premium' section where sellers pay a maintenance fee of sorts to post.

This would just about guarantee the elimination of crap; at least in that particular area. Most are not going going to be willing to pay to list action figures and misc. junk.

A premium area would move a little slower, but allow a user (at a glance) to see some of the higher quality items the membership has to offer without having to wade through the habitual bumpers, etc..

Of course it would be 100% optional, but I love the idea of being able to list among sellers of like mind. The junkyard has become a bit busy with 'all things' of late. I'd love for it to be prop related only and if we can't have that, why not a premium section for the die-hards among us?

-Rylo

Hopefully the JY will get some new rules/guidelines when the switch is made to the new platform.

I'm still hoping that some kind of feedback/rating system is employed, as I've been "short changed" on a deal or two, and while I don't consider it a banning (or even reportable) offense, it would be nice if members could see that "person X did ten deals, three of them were rated less than satisfactory".

'Interesting' thread going on here.

How about a rule that says anyone selling 3D files, direct or through shapeways etc, must also provide pics of a physical sample of the object.

'Here's the render, and here's what it looks like printed'. Investing in one print should be no problem for the seller.

It will show that a file is indeed printable, and what a buyer would actually get. No nasty surprises all round.

'Interesting' thread going on here.

How about a rule that says anyone selling 3D files, direct or through shapeways etc, must also provide pics of a physical sample of the object.

'Here's the render, and here's what it looks like printed'. Investing in one print should be no problem for the seller.

It will show that a file is indeed printable, and what a buyer would actually get. No nasty surprises all round.

You'd think folks would do that to begin with, i know i'd rather know that a file i made worked considering i'm probably using it for something of my own too.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back