Suggestion Simple Junk Yard requests

Moviefreak

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is it wrong to hope people could do a few things when selling in the junkyard?

1. No matter how many different items you are posting for sale in a given day, they don't need their own thread. Make a sales thread that holds all the items. Then you won't take up half a page by yourself.

2. When the item or items sell... Mark it sold and title it "please delete". Just writing "sold" in the last post doesn't work. People still see the title and think it is still available. If you don't mark it as sold the Mods don't know to delete it.

3. Don't bump three or four times a day, unless it is to answer questions or what not. But no need to morning bump.... Lunch bump... Dinner bump... Night bump.... Bump for those across the pond...etc..

1. No matter how many different items you are posting for sale in a given day, they don't need their own thread. Make a sales thread that holds all the items. Then you won't take up half a page by yourself.

2. When the item or items sell... Mark it sold and title it "please delete". Just writing "sold" in the last post doesn't work. People still see the title and think it is still available. If you don't mark it as sold the Mods don't know to delete it.

3. Don't bump three or four times a day, unless it is to answer questions or what not. But no need to morning bump.... Lunch bump... Dinner bump... Night bump.... Bump for those across the pond...etc..

1) Nothing to be done with this one as changes that we are working on will probably make this one moot.

2) Actually, the only thing that is mandatory is changing the thread title prefix to "SOLD/DONE" after they have finished with the thread. Any other changes are optional.

3) It is a rule that members are only allowed to bump their threads once a day (answering other posts is not considered bumping).

1) Nothing to be done with this one as changes that we are working on will probably make this one moot.

2) Actually, the only thing that is mandatory is changing the thread title prefix to "SOLD/DONE" after they have finished with the thread. Any other changes are optional.

3) It is a rule that members are only allowed to bump their threads once a day (answering other posts is not considered bumping).

Thanks for the info...
I just see these mandatory rules being ignored. I do searches when looking for items to buy and see threads that interest me... Only to find out the item sold months back and they just never changed the prefix. It is so frustrating :lol

Thanks for the info...
I just see these mandatory rules being ignored. I do searches when looking for items to buy and see threads that interest me... Only to find out the item sold months back and they just never changed the prefix. It is so frustrating :lol
Please do a "Report Post" when you see one so that we can contact the member and inform/remind them that they need to change the title prefix.

Should make everyone sign a contract before they can get into the JY that they read the rules and understand they'll be in deep crap if they mess up more than once. I feel bad bumping my stuff 2 days before it's been a full week since the last time lol.

Some of them don't even have "Sold" written anywhere in the thread, and are months old. And then when you enquire about the item, they go "oh sorry, I forgot to update the thread but it has long been sold".

Some of them don't even have "Sold" written anywhere in the thread, and are months old. And then when you enquire about the item, they go "oh sorry, I forgot to update the thread but it has long been sold".

To quote myself (just 3 posts up). :D

Please do a "Report Post" when you see one so that we can contact the member and inform/remind them that they need to change the title prefix.

1) In general I agree that the average member does not need 9 threads for 9 items in a given day. Have a yard sale in the same thread!

However, it is necessary for larger prop-runs to have their own dedicated thread from which the builder may field questions and manage clients. Again, I agree, there shouldn't be a laundry list of separate threads for someones spring cleaning in a 24 hour period, But a busy full-time propmaker may have multiple runs that need to be covered with separate audiences requiring multiple titles, etc. Perhaps a guideline along the lines of, "If you have less than 3 of the same item to be offered it needs to go on the same thread as the other single items one may be offering in the course of a day."

2) Agreed. Mark it sold!

3) Agreed, serial bumpage is just poor forum etiquette. Hell, you can answer a question and bump the thread. If nobody is asking questions kick it one every day or two.

-Rylo

Couldn't agree more with your answers. I find people think "one item for sale per thread". I recently saw someone post six items for sale all in a row. Their threads took up half of the first page. When I suggested they make one thread since they were not "runs", they responded by saying: " I made each their own thread because they are different items". So some people are just either ballsy or clueless :lol

1) In general I agree that the average member does not need 9 threads for 9 items in a given day. Have a yard sale in the same thread!

However, it is necessary for larger prop-runs to have their own dedicated thread from which the builder may field questions and manage clients. Again, I agree, there shouldn't be a laundry list of separate threads for someones spring cleaning in a 24 hour period, But a busy full-time propmaker may have multiple runs that need to be covered with separate audiences requiring multiple titles, etc. Perhaps a guideline along the lines of, "If you have less than 3 of the same item to be offered it needs to go on the same thread as the other single items one may be offering in the course of a day."

2) Agreed. Mark it sold!

3) Agreed, serial bumpage is just poor forum etiquette. Hell, you can answer a question and bump the thread. If nobody is asking questions kick it one every day or two.

-Rylo

I think you hit the nail on the head with a more simple suggestion than I'd out forth.

If it's not part of a dedicated run, put it on the same thread; simple as that.:thumbsup

I tend to shy away from junkyard 'rules' because it can be a slippery slope, but I do agree things need dialed in. Hell, I still want a premium section where sellers can choose to pay a monthly fee to post in an area of like minded sellers. A guy selling a video game or an action figure isn't going to pay to post in a premium area so the good stuff will tend to rise to the top in such a spot! Junk can stay in the junkyard, but rock solid merch can go in another, if one so chooses.It would indeed be optional. :thumbsup

Couldn't agree more with your answers. I find people think "one item for sale per thread". I recently saw someone post six items for sale all in a row. Their threads took up half of the first page. When I suggested they make one thread since they were not "runs", they responded by saying: " I made each their own thread because they are different items". So some people are just either ballsy or clueless :lol

What has led to trouble in the past is if someone bumped all of their multiple threads on one day at the same time, dominating the front page with their threads. I can´t comprehend why people would not understand that this is extremely rude and unfair towards all of the other members who want to see their items on the front page, too.

As long as someone does not bump their multiple threads at the same time, multiple threads shouldn´t (and never were) an issue.

Just like with all other areas here, a little common sense and mutual respect go a long way.

What has led to trouble in the past is if someone bumped all of their multiple threads on one day at the same time, dominating the front page with their threads. I can´t comprehend why people would not understand that this is extremely rude and unfair towards all of the other members who want to see their items on the front page, too.

As long as someone does not bump their multiple threads at the same time, multiple threads shouldn´t (and never were) an issue.

Just like with all other areas here, a little common sense and mutual respect go a long way.

It's not so much they don't comprehend it but more they just don't care.

Hmmmm. Interesting thing just happened between me and Rich in the JY. Simple and non-issue for us to sort out between 2 gentlemen (well, maybe him more than me :lol).

How about a rule that says - Want something ? Post in the thread, not via PM. That way it would be clear as day who 'got to it first'. (?)

Hmmmm. Interesting thing just happened between me and Rich in the JY. Simple and non-issue for us to sort out between 2 gentlemen (well, maybe him more than me :lol).

How about a rule that says - Want something ? Post in the thread, not via PM. That way it would be clear as day who 'got to it first'. (?)

I agree. first to post "I will take it" in the thread gets it!! Alan did it correctly, as I went straight to a PM. Post in the thread first then pm :)

Just so everyone knows, all new member posts made in the Junkyard are automatically placed in the moderation queue to await approval. As a result, if a new member is first to post in the thread, their post will not show up until it has been approved. Once the post has been approved it will show up in it's original "spot" in the thread. That's why it's best to make a post and send a pm if you are a new member, but it's a good idea for all members as it help eliminate possible confusion.

Actually, no...

Again. A couple of you are very quick to want to mandate seller rules without much experience in the area. By that, I mean managing large, appreciable runs.

There is no such thing as "calling dibs" and a seller ALWAYS has the right to refuse service for whatever reason. This could be as simple as a piece not being legal to ship overseas or the fact that the seller doesn't care for the buyer. There are so many instances under which a seller may not choose to work with a would-by buyer there's just no way to list them all...let's not forget, some people do not want others seeing their buying habits so they go straight to PM.

I'm not letting someone tie up my inventory just because they yelled, "dibs." It's not a sale until the cash is in hand.

Regardless. Nobody is under any obligation to have to business with anyone, here. I get numerous PMs and people post all the time on my threads saying they'll take something to never be heard from again...What then? We would have to have another set of rules for people who flake and then another set of rules for a time frame under which the seller has to wait before they can repost...oh wait. We've got that. It's called Ebay.

This is a bit of that slippery slope I was talking about...let's not get nuts mandating things. Besides, the RPF could never take any official stance on who a seller would have to do business with. To do so would make them complicit in the transaction and and for obvious legal reasons you'll never see that happen here.

There often seems to be a bit of a tendency to legislate our sellers into numerous restrictions while forgetting the buyers can create just as big a mess. What we have works and I don't see anything wrong with just staying on top of the new people to make sure they do as the rules stipulate.. Don't forget, this system has been in place a decade before most of you got here and works just fine. There is no protection from the occasional loon on either side of the fence.

Being an educated consumer and seller is key!

I agree. first to post "I will take it" in the thread gets it!! Alan did it correctly, as I went straight to a PM. Post in the thread first then pm :)

Last edited:
Rylo's absolutely right. As far as how to contact them and who gets what the seller makes the rules. I try to make it clear in my FS threads how I want to be contacted (PMs always my preference).

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back