Silicone compatibility question

TMBountyHunter

So I've gotten myself into a bit of a situation. I was gonna recast a small part today but found my OOMOO 25 has gone bad on me again. I have a terrible habit of buying a pint, using half of it fairly quickly and then leaving the rest for a few months because I have nothing else to cast. By that time Part A is too thick for pouring. (I'm too cheap to get that gas blanket spray, thought it looks like that might be a worthwhile investment). Last time this happened I just chucked the silicone. This time I thought I might be able to use it as a brush-on application instead of pouring.

That worked. The only problem is I didn't really have enough for a full mold, at least I don't think I do. Currently my mold is only a mm thick in some places.

So the question is: If I go and get Rebound brush-on rubber, will it stick to the OOMOO? Or should I just get more OOMOO and let it sit for a while after mixing so that it's thick enough to brush?

So the question is: If I go and get Rebound brush-on rubber, will it stick to the OOMOO?

It won't stick, and WORSE it won't cure!!! Platinum cure silicones won't cure in the presence of many contaminants, and tin cure silicone is a contaminant that will cause cure inhibition...

Or should I just get more OOMOO and let it sit for a while after mixing so that it's thick enough to brush?
That might work...

Or you can support mold the silicone (plaster or resin/fiberglass) and make a glove mold supported by the ridge support mold...

Gah I completely forgot about the platinum/tin difference, thanks.

Guess I'll pick up more OOMOO tomorrow, I'll try the waiting and brushing first and if that doesn't work out too well I guess I'll go for the glove mold.

EDIT: GRRRRR Labor day tomorrow, stores closed :(

Last edited:
Ok so Labor Day was setback #1

Setback #2 is that the local supplier is out of stock of OOMOO 25 for another week so another question arises:

What's the best thing I can do to ensure the layers adhere to eachother a week from now? I've put a plastic bag over it for now to keep the dust from accumulating. Should I clean the "old" surface with something before applying the new one? Or do I just leave it and pray?

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to be sure I'll do as much as I can to not screw up the 2nd mold for this project

In my personal experience, OOMOO sticks to itself quite readily. I made a mold several months ago where I started with some that was on the brink of badness...I used that to brush in the details since it was a little thick, let it cure, and then went over the whole thing with a brand new batch. Aside from the slight color difference between the two batches, you'd never know it was two pours. I've also used chopped-up pieces of old OOMOO molds to use as filler in newer pours with no problems.

Exoray and I have talked about this same thing before in another thread, and I was quite surprised to find that not all silicones stick to themselves like that - but my experience with the stuff is pretty limited compared to a lot of folks here. If you're not learning new things, you're not doing it right! :)

As far as ensuring a good bond between the two, just rinse the existing mold off under water if it's dusty and make sure it's 100% dry before pouring more on it. Shouldn't have any trouble after that - as long as you are indeed staying with the same product.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back