Sideshow Hellboy Samaritan - Take 2 (merged)

Got mine early last week and I love it. The only thing that bothers me is the cylinder. Seems like there's a lot of excess play around the srcew. There's a bit (1/16" maybe) of up and down travel around the screw. I tried to tighten the screw, but it just strips the head. Then I thought that I could take out the screw and use an o-ring as a washer, but I can't get the screw out either.

Anyone else have a similar issue or maybe an idea on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Fred

Gigatron, that is the problem with mine except that it is much more than a 16th play. My cylinder can actually touch the frame.

I have no idea how to fix and am hoping for a replacement.

Mine has 1mm of slop, not enough to cause probs.

However, i've just used a lump hammer and impact screwdriver on one of mine. Removed the screw with little head damage. Its an M6 screw that has had glue put on it during assembly - what makes it hard to remove.

The steel used in the screw is very soft, I bent it slightly using the impact driver but bent it straight quite easily. The thread runs halfway up the screw's shaft so that the cylinder's front half runs on the threaded area possible wearing the cylinder's hole making slop worse.

Looks like the the thread is tapped direct into the metal of the gun - no steel insert according my 'magnet test'.

SAS

Last edited:
I can understand them building these things they way they did, but it really ticks me off. :lol

Mine arrived today, thanks to the Forbidden Planet voucher. First impressions: Huge and heavy. The weathering looks much better than I had expected. Shame the trigger isn't hooked up to the hammer. Overall, I'm very glad I bought it.

I contacted sideshow about the scratches on the cylinder, and they said that all of them rub up on parts of the gun when it's spun, so they couldnt offer an exchange for it... however, they are sending me a new tracer bullet without me needing to send the faulty one back to them first.

I'm disappointed about hearing that all the Samaritan's may potentially get scratches on the cylinder, but the CS person I was dealing with was definitely very helpful, understanding, and responsive to the number of questions I had.

I heard back from Sideshow today and here is what they said......

Thank you for taking the time to contact Sideshow Collectibles. I’m so sorry to hear that your collectible arrived damaged.

I have looked into our available inventory and have booked you a replacement order for the Samaritan Prop Gun only. Please note this does not include your base, wall mount, or bullets. At this time we ask that you destroy your prop gun only as it is not necessary to return this part. Please read the precautions listed below before destroying your part. After you have destroyed your part, please be sure to provide .jpg formatted photos in a return email to us. Upon receipt of the requested photos, your replacement piece will be shipped out to you at no additional charge. We ask that you provide photos within the next five business days or by 12/12/08.

** Please use care and precaution when destroying this piece. We ask that you use a rather blunt instrument to scratch the finish of your piece. We would advise placing the piece in a cloth bag, pillow case, or heavy duty trash bag to contain any flying debris as well as any small pieces that result from destroying your piece. DO NOT set fire to your collectible or drop it from a high altitude as this may cause bodily harm to yourself, bystanders, private or public property. We also ask that you protect yourself from flying pieces or shards by wearing eye protection, if possible, as well as proper footwear.

Sideshow Collectibles will not be responsible for any injuries caused by destroying your item. So please make sure you destroy the item in a safe fashion.

Have any of you ever had a reply like this?
Just wanted to make sure some others have had, before I take a hammer to it and then get the real e-mail from Sideshow roll in a day later.:cry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
yea I have had to destroy one of the items I got from them to get a replacement. It is definately weird to destroy one of the items but also very theraputic in a way.:lol
Jim

Yeah that happens with other items. There were videos of people destroying their sideshow items, because replacements are being sent.

Anyone real good with Photoshop!

OK.
So, I have this confirmed as a genuine Sideshow request.

Seems unnatural to smash something I have paid so much for and waited so long for.

That said, I have some interested in how the grip is attached, so I will try to dissect before smashing tomorrow to answer some questions for people.

Does anyone else have any requests about how a piece is fitted or attached, or what is inside before I begin?

I will try to dismantle as best I can with the tools I have and take pics in the name of science :lol

I just had an idea of something I can do that I would never do with my one................I CAN SNAP IT SHUT LIKE HB IN THE FILM TIL IT BREAKS:love

Also, on a serious note I will rub the finish off to see what it is like underneath the paint for anyone who wishes to re-finish theirs.

Maybe you can just disassemble it into component pieces and then use a scotchbrite pad to remove the paint. It'll be all in pieces and looked damged.

Then you can reassemble it and give it a better paintjob. Then you can sell it for money on ebay.

-Fred

And maybe Sideshow aren't really that gullible and would be rather peeved at the attempt at fraud. Or maybe they even read the RPF? :lol

Only thing I would do is confirm with them that they actually have a replacement on-hand before destroying it.

Maybe you can just disassemble it into component pieces and then use a scotchbrite pad to remove the paint. It'll be all in pieces and looked damged.

Then you can reassemble it and give it a better paintjob. Then you can sell it for money on ebay.

-Fred

No, I plan on totally dismantling and then smashing. I don't want to risk not getting another one.

First test done. I have loaded it like HB until it broke and have recorded it for youtube. Surprisingly, the part I thought would break didn't. Another part did.

I shall now go on to dissect :)

From watching the vid, (and then looking at my own pieces) has anyone else noticed that the new Sam is missing the 'stop wedge' on the frame that should prevent it from opening too far. The corresponding wedge on the barrel is still there but it has nothing to hit unlike on the resin version.

SAS

I just looked and can see where it stops the barrel on the resin one, and yes there is a lip on the metal one like you say, but it doesn't hit the frame part to stop it opening .

Maybe it is intentional so that it fully opens like in the film?

For those of you who are destroying your metal Samaritans as ordered to by Sideshow in order to receive a replacement:
I really could use a cylinder for a project, so if you're gonna destroy your Samaritan, save the cylinder and Id gladly buy it from you.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back