Show off: My new Star Wars office/man cave/prop display - Picture heavy

I love the R2. Please tell us more about it and the weathering.

Well, R2... this little trashcan was my "entry drug". The droid you see is actually astromech #2, the first R2 I built was static only and although he looked the part, there were several things I didn't like as much, so droid #2 was born.

The dome and skins are aluminium and came from the R2 builders club, as did some of the details. Most is scratchbuilt by me in wood though. The legs and feet, the main frame and some of the details not ordered through the club (d'oh ;)).

The weathering is done with acrylics, lots of time and a bit of talent.
Not much I can tell you, it's basically putting on LOADS of thinned down acrylic paint and then take it back off.
That's really all I do, but for some odd reason, others who have tried to copy it (even after me demonstrating it) just don't get the same finish. I guess it's a bit like guitar playing... it's all in the fingers ;)

Nicely done mate :cheers It's as very tastefully done set-up that you should be proud of. I've seen many collections over my years of collecting and I'd rather see a collection like yours than ones that have 10 of each figure etc. Looking forward to some more pics in the future. Cheers, Andy.

Absolutely beautiful display!

Is your current R2 static? We have one on the go.. but we're trying to make him RC.

Nope, R2 is fully remote controlled and has done quite a few events for Lucasfilm and/or their partners here in Germany and other European countries :)

Okay, so it has been a year now that I put up this display, about time to re-arrange things and give it all a new spin! Not much has happened in terms of new pieces, just a few odd bits here and there, but I still love my nerd wall :)

Thought I'd share the new setup with you:

532036_2997711677502_634574207_n.jpg

The droid corner and the first "Light Side" cabinet

548960_2997712037511_1689085830_n.jpg

followed by good old Yoda and another "good guys" cabinet to the right

553252_2997711837506_718997657_n.jpg

Lord Vader and his stuff (plus a CFO ROTJ lid for good measure ;))

59770_2997711597500_1281568958_n.jpg

And last but not least, the Stormtrooper cabinet, now guarded by my lifesize TK (he swapped places with Salacious, who is now sitting next to the door)

535047_2997712077512_1347316610_n.jpg

And one of the whole wall, now with proper lighting, no cheap LED lights anymore :)

Hope my fellow Star Wars nuts out there like it just as much as I do. And if you don't, well... I do :D

And I don't think 8 different Stormtrooper helmets is excessive.

In the words of the great Dennis Hopper, "It's eccentric."

Really awesome display. Where did you get the CZ-3 droid head at? I've always thought that was one of the more interesting droid designs in the OT.

I got the CZ-3 head from our very own Zorg. Great cast of a great sculpt, finishing it was fun, as prep work was minimal :)
And while it is one of the more obscure pieces in my collection, it is also one of my favourites :)

CLASSIC setup...clean, organized, thought-out and simply awesome !

Makes me want a ST armor for display ... how much do you charge!? ;)

Markus

And I don't think 8 different Stormtrooper helmets is excessive.

In the words of the great Dennis Hopper, "It's eccentric."

There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for every single one of them.
Up on the shelf you have an ESB helmet, followed by ANH hero and stunt lid rounded off by a Sandtrooper. See, all different versions. The one on the manny is my trooping lid. The green one is made like the originals and intentionally left unpainted to show off what they looked like "naked", while the one beneath that is my attempt at replicating the infamous "Set for Stun" helmet. And then there is the ROTJ variant in the Vader cabinet. All different. Nothing excessive about it... Move along... Move along ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back