Show-off: Highlander I Ramirez Katana

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by vadermania, Jul 18, 2006.

1. vadermania

vadermania Well-Known Member

Hi,

please have a look at the pic below. The Highlander I Ramirez Katana was always some kind of a (magic :)) dream project, I had tons of pics and measurements of original props but it took some time to find a talented sculptor who was able to translate the pics into a real 3D object. We tried to capture all the imperfections of the original prop.

Your comments, please.

Tom

[​IMG]

2. clayslinger

clayslinger Well-Known Member

VERY well done.
    Hat's off to the sculptor.
    Congratulations on creating a dead on replica of a favorite prop. One of my favs too.

ENJOY.

Chuck...

<div class='quotetop'>(vadermania @ Jul 18 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]1283040[/snapback]</div>

3. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

I always loved that one. Very very good work and amazing dedication.

4. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Woah Tom, that looks amazing. Superb sculpt.

Thomas

5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

VERY nice. :)

6. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent... I saw an original screen-used Ramirez Katanna at Planet Hollywood Las Vegas,
    I even have videotape of the details and it looks like you got it exact. :thumbsup :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(vadermania @ Jul 18 2006, 06:37 AM) [snapback]1283040[/snapback]</div>

7. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Looks like a casting off the original :thumbsup

8. Hangar18Studios

Hangar18Studios Well-Known Member

Now that looks pretty cool. I've always been disappointed at the replica's that have found their way out there over the years. And you even have the tsuba very thick like the movie version. Just one question, is even the fine detail accurate or was the dragon head sculpted on one of the commercially available swords?
    Excellent.
    Scott

9. vadermania

Hey,

thanks everybody for the kind comments. I will pass those on to the sculptor, he will be really motivated for future projects.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hangar18Studios @ Jul 19 2006, 12:30 AM) [snapback]1283480[/snapback]</div>
    The lion head was actually sculpted on a cast of the Marto Duncan katana. I figured out that the grip/tsuka of the Marto Connor katana was a bit too thick. I have a screen-used Highlander 2 and Highlander 4 in my collection, both swords were also used as reference for the proper sizing and positioning of the lion head.

Now I'm looking into reproducing the tsuba and habaki either in brass or bronze for a "high-end" version of the sword, which will then be outfitted with a forged/folded blade.

Tom

10. Hangar18Studios

That sounds great. Let me know if you need assistance with the tsuba casting, I have a foundry local to me in upstate N.Y. that does bronze work. I can forward their information to you if you can't find any leads local to yourself.
    Scott

11. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

That is some amazingly detailed and accurate work - hats off - :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

12. vadermania

Thanks, my friend. Hats off to YOUR work from my end...can't wait to see your new projects..

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>(JRX @ Jul 19 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]1283702[/snapback]</div>
    I was even crazy enough to call a local photographer in Las Vegas to go over to PH and take some high-res detailed pictures of that prop for me. That must have been one of their strangest jobs in the past, because I called from Germany...

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Jul 18 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]1283310[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Scott, I actually took my tsuba to a local foundry here in Berlin, they would charge me approx. $150 for a tsuba in bronze. Would be really interesting to know if and how the prices vary compared to the US.

I asked another foundry to reproduce the tsuba in aluminum (the original was made either of aluminum or an aluminum alloy and then spray-painted), but they couldn't manage it due to technical reasons.

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>(Hangar18Studios @ Jul 19 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]1283700[/snapback]</div>

13. stephen210

stephen210 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Outstanding work..
    Steve

14. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

Great job.

15. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Beautiful work.

16. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Really awesome job on that katana. :eek , nice addition to your collection :)

17. Minder Thr33

Minder Thr33 Sr Member

I saw it in the junk yard and was going to inquire about it, but I'm not a fan of wallhangers, even if they are this pretty.

But since you said you're going to produce higher-end versions, keep us up to date.

18. Hangar18Studios

Judging by my past experiences, $150.00 sounds fairly accurate. The prices don't really go down much until you order in quantity. :(

19. aliensarchive

aliensarchive Well-Known Member

Can you show what you were using as reference?

Your dragon is missing its tongue.

[​IMG]

20. Minder Thr33

Minder Thr33 Sr Member

I can see the tongue. But it's not as stuck out as that pick. Maybe another millimetre or so?

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    That's the Marto version, which is also a wall hanger. The Marto is also the Highlander 3/4 version and I'm more interested in the first (although the aging in part two intrigues me).

I paid about $700 for Sal's Musashi (Duncan's sword) a for a fully functional Ramirez katana. And yes, I got a great deal.

21. vadermania

The tongue is there, but maybe a tiny bit too small. I'll check that on my reference pics, which are still at my sculptor's workshop. The reference pics are from the hero prop that has been auctioned off by Christie's in their Dec. 2003 sale. I took them during the preauction viewing. Additional references are from the PH Las Vegas Stunt prop and various other sources. I figured out that there are variantions in the props, such as the positioning of the peg etc.

BTW, do you know where that Christie's sword went?

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>(aliensarchive @ Jul 20 2006, 01:39 AM) [snapback]1284199[/snapback]</div>

22. stephen210

stephen210 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

23. aliensarchive

aliensarchive Well-Known Member

All of the H1 swords sold to date have been broken which probably explains why your replica is missing the tongue.

It would be nice to see pictures of the Christie's one, the catalog picture was pretty small. There was another one sold recently with the scabbard, there seems to be quite a few out there but little reference.

24. vadermania

I checked my pics, the tong on my sword has been replicated according to the Christie's references. The other one that has been sold recently was Sean Connery's hero sword including the red scabbard. Unfortunately I do not have high-res reference pics of this one.

Dan, PM me for details. Too much to write down here.

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>(aliensarchive @ Jul 20 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]1284470[/snapback]</div>

25. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

great sword! I want it so badly! ;)

wasnt there a pic of the original aluminum fighting katana from the final fight in the film? I know someone linked to it on ebay long ago. any one got it? pm me.

Also, i remember there was a pic of the hero katana either in storage or at an auction house and it was the one used as the inspiration for this piece. any ideas on that one too? thanks in advance