Sherlock Holmes Collection

I'm sure there's a Persian slipper in there somewhere, but I can't find it. (which is my sly way of hoping you'll post more pictures!)

IMG_4375.JPGHere is part of a display at the local Junior college.

Wolf

I'm sure there's a Persian slipper in there somewhere, but I can't find it. (which is my sly way of hoping you'll post more pictures!)

Sure thing, happy to. :) Here's the opposing angle, and a detail on the slipper.

Attachments

• sittingroom1.jpg
    sittingroom1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 263
  • slipper.jpg
    slipper.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 311
Wonderful deck5! It looks so similar to the Granada set, I can almost see Mr. Brett & Mr. Hardewicke sitting there by the fireplace talking about the latest case! Thanks for the link for the Reichenbach btw!

Thanks! This is the portrait of Gordon -- already up on the top of the left-hand bookcase.

Attachments

• gordon.jpg
    gordon.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 198
Ah, I hadn't noticed it because I expected it would be one of the ones hung on the wall. That's the implication I get from THE RESIDENT PATIENT:

"Then I will tell you. After throwing down your paper, which was the action which drew my attention to you, you sat for half a minute with a vacant expression. Then your eyes fixed themselves upon your newly-framed picture of General Gordon, and I saw by the alteration in your face that a train of thought had been started. But it did not lead very far. Your eyes turned across to the unframed portrait of Henry Ward Beecher which stands upon the top of your books. You then glanced up at the wall, and of course your meaning was obvious. You were thinking that if the portrait were framed it would just cover that bare space and correspond with Gordon's picture over there."

Since Holmes says that the Beecher portrait framed and mounted on the wall would "correspond" with the Gordon portrait, I'd infer that the Gordon portrait was already on the wall. But I do like your portrait choice. Much more esthetically pleasing than the typical engravings chosen.

Yes, I'm not a particular fan of the popular full-uniform portrait of Gordon either. I have the unframed portrait of Beecher, as well.

It looks amazing. I am doing a similar thing, although not to this extent, it looks as if Mr. Brett will enter the room any minute & light his pipe by the fireplace! One thing I always wondered, who was the man whose portait hung near the door to Holmes' rooms in the Granada series, he had a mustache & looked to have a funny type of hat on, always wondered who it was. There was also a portrait of a man who Holmes clutched once in "The Noble Bachelor", when he was having the nightmares. That man had a Rasputin-like mustache/beard I believe.

It looks amazing. I am doing a similar thing, although not to this extent, it looks as if Mr. Brett will enter the room any minute & light his pipe by the fireplace! One thing I always wondered, who was the man whose portait hung near the door to Holmes' rooms in the Granada series, he had a mustache & looked to have a funny type of hat on, always wondered who it was.

This one, you mean, by the door to the sitting room? That's General Gordon also.

The dream sequence in Granada's "The Devil's Foot" had the picture you're thinking of, not "The Eligible Bachelor" (the name Granada gave to their adaptation of Doyle's "The Noble Bachelor"). It's a painting of Nebuchadnezzar by William Blake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebuchadnezzar_(Blake)

Attachments

• sherlock-center-bottom-LARGE[1].jpg
    sherlock-center-bottom-LARGE[1].jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Deck5, just out if curiosity, what are some of those books that you have? I'm a bit of a bibliophile and have a bit of a collection but I want to start getting some older ones and yours interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deck5, just out if curiosity, what are some of those books that you have? I'm a bit of a bibliophile and have a bit of a collection but I want to start getting some older ones and yours interesting.

On the left-hand side of the fire is a full set of the International Cyclopedia, 1885. 13 volumes. Elsewhere, a pretty broad range: Horace, Hafiz, W. Clark Russell; Poe, Gaboriau, R.L. Stevenson; Murger; Boswell; Burns, and compendiums of poetry; Shakespeare; books on forensics, medicine, psychology, chemistry; bee-keeping; chess; deer-stalking; a few of Doyle's non-Holmes works; a few Baedekers, and a Bradshaw's; Dickens; Sims; various others. I've been adding to it gradually for years.

Last edited:
Are they all 19th century? It's an impressive collection of books and props.

Thanks! They are, with a few minor exceptions (one of the bee-keeping books is from 1917, for instance, and Johnson's Dictionary is a modern reprint).

Wow!! I have only been able to find (and afford) one book printed in the late 1800's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!! I have only been able to find (and afford) one book printed in the late 1800's.

The costliest item I have was the American encyclopedia, and most of that was shipping.

I'm fortunate, we have a weekly antique market here that often has books and other artifacts, and a rare book sale that comes around a couple of times a year.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back