Serenity: the Stickers

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Mike J., May 21, 2006.

1. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know there is at least one PDF of the labels from the Firefly crate out there on the net. There's also a font with some of the symbols...

But did we ever get anything like that from the movie?

They had to rebuild the entire ship set, and there are some interesting new warning labels in there...

-Mike

2. Walter

Walter Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ May 21 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]1248361[/snapback]</div>

Mike,

Joss kept the ship sets in storage, they were merely enhanced for the movie incarnation of the show.

God I miss that show now...

-Bryan

3. Mike J.

Really? I heard they were destroyed despite his protests.

Anyway, I'm planning a sort of 'active project' for the new decals.

I'll post caps, and graphically-inclined fellows will pick a decal and draw it up. Progress reports & brainstorming in this thread.

That's the idea, anyway.

Who's game?

-Mike

4. Quinn Merrick

Quinn Merrick Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(bbabich @ May 22 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]1248733[/snapback]</div>
    Um, no he didn't. Fox owned the set and they disassembled it when the show was cancelled. They had to rebuild the entire set at Universal. The few props that Fox didn't destroy they would only lease to Universal for an outrageous fee. In the end they all the props in Serenity are brand new, nothing from the original show appears in the film. It was cheaper to have them rebuild exactly than to only borrow them from Fox.

Fox = @#$%.

5. Walter

Walter Sr Member

I will have to check the DVD again, I believe that is where I heard it...

Anyway...

Mike, the project sounds interesting. So are we looking for caps of specific stickers or just any good caps?

-Bryan

6. Mike J.

I went through the DVD yesterday and grabbed every decent sticker shot I could — but if you've got something unusual (behind the scenes, perhaps?) or nice quality, please share :)

I think I've done most of the gruntwork, though.

-Mike

7. Mike J.

The stickers:

[attachmentid=8193] This thing pops up all over the place, in various sizes, too. Anybody know what this says?

[attachmentid=8194] Also shows up frequently. Looks like a skull & crossbones, some big Arabic word, and some small Japanese / Chinese underneath.

[attachmentid=8195] The big text in the red part looks to be the same as the 'Tibetan' marking on the new mule. No idea what the rest of it is, though.

[attachmentid=8196] This is on the outside of the chamber they lock River in. There are similar markings on other doors. I'd swear this looks like Japanese.

[attachmentid=8197] I like this little guy, but all the tiny text is troublesome. Shows up in multiple spots.

[attachmentid=8198] This is on the bottom of one of Mr. Universe's big screens. Looks like the Alliance medical logo in the 'diamond'.

[attachmentid=8199] The primary one here is the yellow stripe on the bottom. Looks like it's got #1 in the center. Is the triangular one on the right one of the standard Klingon labels that's been floating around?

[attachmentid=8200] Looks like more Arabic, with an explosion on the bottom. This is inside the cargo bay doorway, seen when Simon is talking to Kaylee just before leaving the ship on Beaumonde.

-Mike

One more thing — here's some Chinese filler text for you enterprising types (who want to get started):

http://www.wwenglish.com/en/zt/ch/2576.htm

-Mike

8. Mike J.

Alright, ya lazy bums, I've finished #1.

9. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Just shoot me some artwork and I will start cutting vinyl.

10. Mike J.

You'd like that, wouldn't you? :D

I've done #1, 2 and 8 so far.

-Mike

11. Mike J.

Finished #3.

-Mike

12. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Mike, you are on fire. Didnt get to play with them last night... now I am at the day job messing with spreadsheets :(

13. Mike J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feeling better? ;)

-Mike

14. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Working on #4.

15. Mike J.

Cool. :D

-Mike

16. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Of course I would pick the easiest.

What should I do when finished? Post it here? Send to you?

17. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mike, I came up with something ever so slightly different for #3.

[​IMG]

I think the lightening bolt should be one with an arrow on the bottom and you need a black outline around the whole thing. :)

Nice work so far.

18. Mike J.

19. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Wasn't sure what to put behind it since leaving it white would have interfered with the white letters. I can change it to anything you need.

[​IMG]

20. Mike J.

Looks good. I was leery of drawing that Japanese...

Tweaked this:

[attachmentid=8215]

And did this:

[attachmentid=8216]

-Mike

21. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those are looking great. Not sure about stickers but I'd definately like to get large, printable images of them all. Thank for taking those on.

22. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Looking good SSB.

23. Hellclaw 01

Hellclaw 01 Well-Known Member

WOWw.

These are cool so far guys.

One question, how are you guys doing all of the Chinese text? Hand drawn, or are their Chinese font packs available?

24. Mike J.

I have some Chinese fonts; your operating system should give you the option of enabling asian text support.

I don't read it or speak it, though, and the only input method I have is going through the character map, so I'm limited to what I can cut & paste.

Had to draw that first decal's text — tried a few guesses in Google's translator & struck out.

I'm glad you guys like em.

-Mike

25. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Those are looking great, what kind of items were they stuck on in the show? I remember some of the crates and such looked like found items.

26. Mike J.

Crates, the mule, and the walls :D

-Mike

27. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ May 23 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]1249188[/snapback]</div>
    I can't speak chinese so well, since I was raised up in germany and was taught with small amount of vocabulary. But I'll ask my dad - he'll be amused, but then we know what the warning sign means - what about that? :D

EDIT: as far as I can decipher, it's written in simple chinese and the third sticker it's only stating "Toxic" something with "high voltage" and the subrow "caution...bla bla bla" - I'll ask - God I have to refresh my chinese...

28. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now to decide what to stick it on. :lol No these are not for sale.

29. Mike J.

Yeah, I copy-pasted some suitable Chinese on there. Should make reasonable sense...

-Mike

30. dr_slurpee

<div class='quotetop'>(Great_Bizarro @ May 24 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]1249658[/snapback]</div>
    Tease. :p

31. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Chinese fonts<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ May 24 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]1249703[/snapback]</div>
    Tease. :p
    [/b][/quote]

Just messing with Sith. I think the bomb one would look cool on a black t-shirt with Bomb Squad spelled out in Chinese below it.

32. Mike J.

33. blubeetle3

blubeetle3 Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly.

34. SurferGeek

Thanks Mike. They look great. Appreciate you putting them together and offering them up for free.

35. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Here are a couple of screen caps of the stickers.

Docking Brake on Mule
    [​IMG]
    Cockpit Door
    [​IMG]

36. Mike J.

37. SurferGeek

Couple more screencaps of the signage...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

38. Mike J.

39. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

[​IMG]

This one came out nice but was a pain to do with 3 overlays.

40. kevinericon

kevinericon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Old post, but I've been itching to reply to this topic since I spoke Chinese. Guess now I have the chance.

[​IMG]

As you can see, Ball Come really didn't make ANY sense at all. Other stickers at least meant something, though they're not using Chinese right. You can see "drugs" is misused, I'm guessing they were trying to use "toxic".

I guess they used some sort of translation program (which wassn't very accurate) instead of hiring an actual consultant. They did a great job making Firefly series, all the Chinese language and signs were correct, but in the movie Serenity, almost all signs were wrong. I went to the Serenity premiere in Taiwan and there's laughters everytime a Chinese sign shows up. :D

It's still a great film though. :love

Kevin

41. Mike J.

Ahem ... well, I was using a translation program.

Problem is, a lot of the small text on the signs is too small to read on the DVD, and it looks like it's in Japanese anyway.

I had to pick stuff to fill it in.

-Mike

42. dr_slurpee

I think the "ball come/ball arrive" one makes sense. Is that not used in front of the lever that release the mule from where it was locked in? It has a arrow pointing in the direction where a possible "trailer ball" type thing would be coming from. If you guys know what I mean.

By the way, welcome aboard kevinericon, it's great to have another Firefly/Serenity fan around here, especially one that knows Chinese and could help us out in our prop building. ;)

43. jddurst

jddurst Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Jun 22 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]1265800[/snapback]</div>
    Especially if you are stopping for takeout... ;)

44. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Humm. I guess it's be cannon to the movie or be correct, I guess its cannon since they screwed it up. Great to have someone that can read Chinese. With the humor the propmakers had on the series (aka train job) they may have ment to be The meatballs have arrived/departed.

45. donsolo

donsolo Well-Known Member

I just wanted to stop in here for my first post and say those are all great... very nice work to you guys.

46. Obi_Don

Obi_Don Well-Known Member

Is anyone selling any of these on weatherproof material. I am especially interested in the Skulls, Storage Only, Passengers Prohibited, the triangular planet blowing up (I guess), and Lock-Down when in Anti-Gravity.

47. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

I can make the stickers (see prior posts) but don't want to step on Sith's toes since he did the artwork. The skulls come from a font called medicine.

48. Mike J.

Actually, GB, I give you my blessing to go and cut vinyl :)

Go forth, and multiply :angel :lol

In all seriousness, you all can consider these fair game for ... use.

They were a labor of ... appreciation. Pass them around, stick them on things, do whatever.

Rest assured, I will be selling something in the near future. Mu hu hu wa ha ha ha...

-Mike

49. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Ok, thanks. :D Anyone want some stickers let me know.

50. kevinericon

kevinericon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mike, you did a great job creating those graphics, especially you haven't use any form of Chinese input system. (Really impressed :eek ) And believe me, you did a BETTER job than the Serenity crew. :p All Chinese in the film is gibberish, and I was informed yesterday that all Japanese in it is also meaningless.

Here's the one I enjoyed the most, the rescue ship on Miranda, with a shot so close and so slow, well, I guess they really didn't expect to release the film in asia. :lol

[​IMG]

And dr_slurpee, thanks, I'm really glad I caught the registration window this time.

Kevin