Sealab Reissue

Update as of July 2, 2015.
The Sealab III numbers are currently are
147 bagged kits and 57 boxed kits for a total of $11622.96
Our goal is to reach $28,000 to get the Tooling cost covered.

Man I thought this reissue would be a slam dunk. Come on people, buy one as a gift for your kid for Christmas, LOL. Buy one just because. Buy one so I can get one, ;)

PS. And No I won't buy an original for 600 dollars, LOL.

Update as of July 16, 2015.
152 bagged kits and 67 boxed kits for a total of $12622.96

Last edited by a moderator:
Only a couple of the kits sold last week...
Update as of July 22, 2015.
156 bagged kits and 67 boxed kits for a total of $12822.77

Apart from this site Jason, which is just a small corner of the internet, I have seen nothing advertising this kit. So if the majority of orders placed have come from RPF members then raising what they have is not bad going. Somebody needs to get Social Media involved via Facebook or whatever. I did a Facebook search for "Aurora Sealab" on FB and got no results at all. I'll post about it on the models for sale sites/pages I visit but it needs more marketing from the company selling it.

Word!
As I said, they don't appear to be expending a whole lot of effort to get it out "in the wild". I assume they are subsidizing this to some degree? Perhaps they could aim a release at
another market segment (as in 'Timmy's Undersea Laboratory' or some such), since the 'real world' aspect of it is kinda weak (since it didn't actually go into service after the accidents...) It has a 'neat' factor but hardly anyone knows they are trying to do it...
R/ Robert

Sigh. Why is this failing....

Well except for we crazy people who build Studio Scale there really not too many people that want to build this kit. I know I could care less about building it as is. No offense to those who like the Sealab. Your an even smaller minority of a minority, LOL. I think Healvis is right there's just no advertisement for it out there. If anybody ever went to my Facebook I would plug it there, but its a ghost town ;) Hopefully the word of mouth from here and Ssm, will get r done. Maybe Adam Savage could plug it on Mythbusters, :) Yea like that could happen, LOL. Cheers,

Joe

Joe, your assuming that there is no interest but that may just be projection. It is akin to one of my kids saying "I don't like it!" about food they have never tasted. If the modeling 'public' (that being beyond the RPF community) has no clue of this offering, then saying there is no interest in the kit is illogical. The fact that nearly half of the funds are promised from *just* RPF members says a lot, especially as even a few of us wish to build it as is... I wonder what the interest might be in Japan, for example, with the cultural bias for 'ocean based subjects'? Has anyone contacted Hobby Link Japan about this initiative? They may be willing to act as an intermediary... Also, is anything being done at the IPMS/USA National Convention going on right now? If there was ever a demographic this kit would 'tickle', it would be there.

Of course, the company may have already made an effort to get the word out and I just missed the full page ad in FineScale Modeler (or any modeling magazine...) Not everyone inhabits the web...

Regards, Robert

Joe, your assuming that there is no interest but that may just be projection. It is akin to one of my kids saying "I don't like it!" about food they have never tasted. If the modeling 'public' (that being beyond the RPF community) has no clue of this offering, then saying there is no interest in the kit is illogical. The fact that nearly half of the funds are promised from *just* RPF members says a lot, especially as even a few of us wish to build it as is... I wonder what the interest might be in Japan, for example, with the cultural bias for 'ocean based subjects'? Has anyone contacted Hobby Link Japan about this initiative? They may be willing to act as an intermediary... Also, is anything being done at the IPMS/USA National Convention going on right now? If there was ever a demographic this kit would 'tickle', it would be there.

Of course, the company may have already made an effort to get the word out and I just missed the full page ad in FineScale Modeler (or any modeling magazine...) Not everyone inhabits the web...

Regards, Robert

Yea you're probably right, I do tend to project, at least that's what my therapist says, ;) Just kidding I don't have a therapist , yet. Its true I don't care for the model as is. And I really do believe that "most" modelers don't care that much for it either. See there's that projection again, LOL. I haven't seen a lot of builds of the kit. Of course that could be due to its raity. What I do see is a plethora of SS projects that use parts from it. That's the only reason I personally want it. But I don't discount others who may want to build it. To each his or her own. But like your kids say " I don't like it ! ". ;) Cheers

Joe

PS. We desperately need a " tongue in cheek " emoticon on here. As this post was written in that state of mind. Maybe the abbreviation TIC. After a post or something. Oh well, I'm a Luddite in some ways, even though I started using computers before Al Gore invented the internet, ;)

Last edited:
Yea you're probably right, I do tend to project, at least that's what my therapist says, ;) Just kidding I don't have a therapist , yet. Its true I don't care for the model as is. And I really do believe that "most" modelers don't care that much for it either. See there's that projection again, LOL. I haven't seen a lot of builds of the kit. Of course that could be due to its raity. What I do see is a plethora of SS projects that use parts from it. That's the only reason I personally want it. But I don't discount others who may want to build it. To each his or her own. But like your kids say " I don't like it ! ". ;) Cheers

Joe

PS. We desperately need a " tongue in cheek " emoticon on here. As this post was written in that state of mind. Maybe the abbreviation TIC. After a post or something. Oh well, I'm a Luddite in some ways, even though I started using computers before Al Gore invented the internet, ;)

Joe, I'm right there with you - it is oh so "human" to, as I put it, 'project' our own admittedly limited viewpoint onto the world. How can we not? It is the only viewpoint we personally occupy by virtue of our individual, separated consciousness. I suspect this is the true root of all strife and conflict - we just cannot perfectly communicate a shared viewpoint because it is physically impossible and though some get pretty good at being empathetic, it is not a universal skill (attribute?) by any means. Hence, all the "discord in our discourse". Thankfully, there is a least a measure of civility in many forums (virtual & otherwise) that helps keep things from falling completely apart and offers a modicum of hope.
Sorry, didn't mean to be so serious! Regards, Robert

Naw man, no worries. There are too many real issues in the world, to get worked up about models. It's just a hobby to me. If we don't get a Sealab kit it won't be the end of the world. It will suck, but won't be the end, ;) Plenty of people have kits out there, and I can probably get castings if need be. So no harm no foul. I do appreciate modeling in all its facets. So I look forward to seeing your build of the Sealab. Cheers,

Joe

Update as of July 30, 2015.
156 bagged kits and 70 boxed kits for a total of $13048.74

As of Aug .11 they have only gotten 3 more orders..
Update as of August 11, 2015.
156 bagged kits and 73 boxed kits for a total of $13272.71

I have asked several hobby shops if they would stock the kit if available and have gotten a positive response from all them.
As it is a repo of a vintage kit, and a military subject most said they thought it would sell , but the problem is none of them had any idea this was even happening
The other problem is they won't preorder a kit that may not be builtin most cases, or they go through a distributor like Stevens for model purchases and want to wait till it is available,

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back