Sealab Reissue

I emailed Pete at Atlantis Models just to say I'd be in for two. He replied twice. Once to assess basic interest, and again today to mention Atlantis was looking for an intact Sealab kit as a master. They are not having luck on EBay.

I suggested he join RPF and post his request here.

Pete's contact:
sales@atlantis-models.com

-Mike

Last edited:
Is every part of the sealab kit useful?

If people are wanting it for specific pieces, maybe it would make more financial sense to just make those specific bits.

I think we need the majority of the kitparts if you look at all the SW and BSG projects needing parts from this kit. So I think it might as well be just as reasonable to make the entire kit. This will also make it interesting for general modelbuilders, I guess

Is every part of the sealab kit useful?

If people are wanting it for specific pieces, maybe it would make more financial sense to just make those specific bits.

I think there are at least as much people -if not more- who'd like to see a repop of the Sealab to build it as... the Sealab than people who want it for their SS models.

Just wondering what folks think about this:

Since they don't have the original molds, and are recreating the kit from existing pieces, is that really any better than getting resin castings? Granted you have styrene, if that floats your boat. But it's still a copy.

If they do go ahead with this, how long would it take from start to finish? From the time they copy your existing model to making the dies then releasing to the market? Probably not for another couple of years?

I don't see why it should take a couple of years with today's technology in 3D scanning, 3D modeling and CNC equipment, it SHOULD be a lot faster. But then again, who knows.

They have my kit, things look cool, it's off to China to get analyzed/scanned/measured/melted down, whatever! From there, a quote can be generated for tooling costs, which will be the deciding factor in whether they can make this or not.

I hope this happens, it would be nice to see this kit get issued.
Jason, thank you for lending your kit in the efforts to help us all

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back