SE-16 Blaster variant

IT'S ALIVE!

IMG_20190529_205059291.jpg

The parts all fit well first time out, with only a couple of minor tweaks needed. Minor enough to do by hand. I'm getting the hammer and bolt reprinted in aluminum and those should be here in early July.

Here's the Photoshop mock-up I've been working off of:

Blaster_Concepts_Snub2.jpg

I'm real happy with how it's coming together. My only frustration so far is that the paint is already starting to chip off the edges of the aluminum scope. I followed Field Marshall's tutorial and used Rust-Oleum paints, but it doesn't seem to be sticking terribly well. I've never had great luck painting aluminum, really. Anyone got tips on how to paint one of these so they don't start chipping right away?

Did you give it a soapy water bath, then clean it with alcohol?

Did you rough up the surface a bit before paint?

Did you use primer?

Did you give it a soapy water bath, then clean it with alcohol?

Yes.

Did you rough up the surface a bit before paint?

No.

Did you use primer?

Technically no. I used the bronze paint Field Marshal did, that says it sticks directly to metal and aluminum.

I just bought a can of self-etching metal primer off Amazon that the reviews claim is used in auto body shops. I'm gonna strip the scope, clean it with acetone and alcohol, sand it, clean it again, and handle with with gloves so I don't get hand oils on it. If that doesn't do it...

Definitely rough up the surface first, that may be all you need to do. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with self etching primer it's usually a mess!

Last edited:
Looking great!!

Love where you've put the "piston halves"!

I've been working on mine, as well. I'll post some pics in a bit!

Here's some quick and dirty of where mine's at, for the moment. Barrel is attached with a zip tie, which is temporary of course!!

Still fiddling with greeblie ideas, nothing is set in stone. Not sure about the front sight. I may remove it. And I still plan to add some wires somewhere!

Thank you Anubis guard for the models!! I changed them a bit to fit what I'm going for. Couldn't have done this without you!
0608192118.jpg
0608192118a.jpg
0608192119.jpg
0608192120.jpg
0608192120a.jpg
0608192122.jpg

Here's some quick and dirty of where mine's at, for the moment. Barrel is attached with a zip tie, which is temporary of course!!

Still fiddling with greeblie ideas, nothing is set in stone. Not sure about the front sight. I may remove it. And I still plan to add some wires somewhere!

Thank you Anubis guard for the models!! I changed them a bit to fit what I'm going for. Couldn't have done this without you!
View attachment 1027512View attachment 1027513View attachment 1027514View attachment 1027515View attachment 1027516View attachment 1027517

Wow, that looks awesome. Funny thing – you put the butane torch halves in the other spot I was thinking of placing them.

Yeah, I had to cut a little off the heat sink to fit them, and they're a little wonky, so I'll have to adjust them, but they DO look right at home on the side like that!

But I never would've thought to put them on the scope, that's really neat lookin', too!

You noticed!!! I was wondering if anyone would notice that!

I've had that little part for years and years, and it's been set aside for this blaster for years, too!

Below it is the lens from a CD ROM drive, the lens will go back in there, it came out for painting.

The Cutt's has been CUTT!!!

And unfortunately the barrel noses down by a couple of millimeters. I thought at first I screwed up the cut, but no, the angle continues all the way to the scope. Which ticks me off because everything at the join is stock, so I can't figure out where the angle is coming from – they must have more play than it seemed, but all the parts sit flush so... It's all epoxied in place at this point anyway so there's not much I can do.

Can you not add a shim under the scope, just before it reaches the compensator?

Like, between your printed part and the underside of the scope...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back