SE-16 Blaster variant

superjedi

Sr Member
Hi all,
Some of you blaster fans may remember a build from years ago from (I believe) the Dewback Wing site where a member built up a really cool looling custom blaster that he called the SE-16D.
Here's a pic and a link to his build:

BLASTER_1.jpg

Rebel Hardware Competition - BlasTech SE-16D Heavy Blaster Pistol

It's been a long time, and I can't remember who built this up. Is it a member here???

Recently, Obi-wan Coyote had a parts kit for sale in the Junkyard to make a variation of this blaster. I had always thought this SE-16 really captured that "Star Wars universe" feel and never had any luck finding anything resembling the base parts. I snagged the parts kit and I've been working on it over the last week.

Obi-wan Coyote's parts kit looked like this when it arrived to me.

SE-16Eparts2.jpg

It's based on the same carbine design as the original build from 2002, complete with a real M38A2 scope! There was a bag of greeblies, too. Some really interesting looking stuff that I tried to incorporate into my build.

Here are some shots of the completed blaster, along with descriptions of the build.

IMG_0381.jpg

Overall right side: I began by applying some gun bluing solution to Lynn's custom-machined scope mount piece. This darkened it up nicely and brought the metal tone closer to that of the rest of the blaster.
I also added a small copper strap with 2 button head hex screws above the trigger area, and 2 weird looking brass pieces to the front of the magazine box. I have no idea what these are from, but they were just too cool looking not to use! They remind me of the piston halves on Han's DL-44, too.
There was a slight gap where the barrel was welded onto the lower receiver, and I covered this area (on both sides of the barrel) using brass tube which I darkened with Blacken-it, a metal weathering solution.
All greeblies were simply glued in place with a couple of dots of super glue.

IMG_0389.jpg

Front face of magazine: I glued on a couple more greeblies just to give some visual interest. The golden piece at the bottom is a little piece of what looks like anodized aluminum. It has some tiny vanes at the bottom. Maybe this was a heat sink from something? Closer to the top, I added an engine piece from a 1/12 Tamiya race car. It fit nicely into the existing slot.

Barrel: The very nicely blued barrel and real-steel compensator are excellent. However, the slots in the sides of the compensator made it easy to see there was nothing inside. I used a small length of aluminum rod from my spares box and wrapped it with tape to fig snugly inside the blued portion of the barrel. I then used the small brass pipe fitting that Lynn supplied and blackened it as well. It fit perfectly over my aluminum rod, and now there's a visible inner barrel with muzzle. :)

Here's a closer shot of the magazine area.

IMG_0388.jpg

The left side of the blaster looks like this.

IMG_0393.jpg

Left side: I blackened a transistor from the greeblie bag and added it close to the bottom of the magazine box. Just a little call out to another SW blaster. I also blackened and attached a very strange looking machined brass piece. It looks kind of like a miniature brass version of those aluminum pieces on Vader's chest box. I positioned it as if it's some kind of laser sight.
Above the trigger there was a larger hole, which must have been for a selector switch or safety lever on the original carbine. I covered it with another part from that Tamiya race car and topped it with a small button head screw.

Here's a close-up of the left side.

IMG_0395.jpg

I didn't want to alter the finish of any of the original gun parts. They had such a nice, used appearance.
Nothing looks more like an old gun than an old gun! :thumbsup

This was a fun build and it'll be a nice addition to my blaster collection. Thanks to Obi-wan Coyote for making this available!

I've always been curious what this receiver came from. If anyone knows, please post.

Oh wow, that is beautiful! I am loving all of the real parts blaster builds at the moment. I've not come across this design before, I love how you've re-created it. It really works as a whole design. Gorgeous!

You really made the kit shine. :cool

I´m no big fan of the scope inserted in the barrel, but overall it´s great looking, i especially love the usage of the greeblies. :)

You really made the kit shine. :cool

I´m no big fan of the scope inserted in the barrel, but overall it´s great looking, i especially love the usage of the greeblies. :)

My thoughts exactly Licht.

Would like to see the scope raised up enough for the tip to be over the barrel.

Other than that VERY cool. Very SW! :)

Awesome! I was the one who built the one for the Dewback contest. I'm really honored and flattered that it has inspired at least two other builds.

..and they're better. My scope is resin and does not have a machined metal mount--a rivet shaft, epoxy and a model kit part keep it in place. I'm kicking myself now for getting rid of my MR E-11 scope--I should've used it to replace the resin one.

The Vader rod broke off a while back, and I decided it looks better without it.

Obi-Wan Coyote IDed the base gun--I forget what it was. I found it in a box marked "carbine parts" at a gun show.

Thanks, guys. This was a fun build.

Awesome! I was the one who built the one for the Dewback contest. I'm really honored and flattered that it has inspired at least two other builds.

Treadwell!! Excellent, glad you chimed in. . . it was so long ago that I couldn't remember who did the original.

I remember thinking it was the coolest custom blaster I had ever seen. :)

Wow I remember that, loved it then and love it now, and nice wok on the new "improved" one!

So what's the base gun?

Last edited:
I was poking around my gun photo folders and found this photo. I knew I'd seen that grip before.

pix633389468.jpg

That isn't a carbine. That's some kind of squad/artillery rifle.

Since Dann apparently didn't want to be too specific... :lol

I dug up an old thread on A.S.A.P. about the contest, and it was discovered to be a 7.92mm Browning Automatic Rifle Model 30--Polish manufacture. There is a Belgian version that has an extra thingie sticking out under the magazine well.

I got the flash hider at a different place and time. Weird seeing that they might actually be related!

Here you go...

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

This is funny, we're researching a custom build and not an actual film prop. :lol

I love it, though, you really made a cool design, man.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back