Scratch built Terminator T-800 Endoskeleton

I buy papier maché "powder" from my local hobby store. Then I just add water and mix it to a paste. You can make your own but I think it's hard to get it as smooth as the powder version I buy. Here's more info:
Papier Mache

After I apply the papier mache to make the cardboard ridgid, I add a layer of drywall compound. It's really easy to sand and gets really hard after you prime it. Then I just keep adding drywall compound and sand it until it's smooth.

I have, on occasion, made something out of cardboard and then fiber-glassed over it... but nothing this large and certainly nothing this impressive. Really amazing work.

Thanks, 13doctorwho!

Here's a new update, I did some tweaking of the basic shape of the neck. I Made it wider at the bottom to give it more of a "cone" shape. :p

140.jpg

141.jpg

He's really shaping up. If you ever upgrade the skull and want to get rid of the old one, I may be interested.

But man... keep up the good work. Gonna look into that papier maché thing. Didn't know it came as a powder too.

Thanks, TMG!
I will be changing the skull in the pics for my own skull eventually, but I have to mold and cast it first, and I'm not quite there yet! However don't think I'll be getting rid of the one in the pics though, I've grown quite attached to it, since it's my very first endoskull! ;)

I'm following this thread with great interest.

So wait - you make the form out of cardboard and cover it with paper mache? Don't you need it stronger?

Thanks

Thanks guys!

Stormy320, actually the papier mache somehow binds with the cardboard and cures to a rock hard shape. I could hardly break it if I tried! I think it has something to do with the fibres in the paper.

I will however eventually make molds of the parts and cast them in plastic reinforced with glassfibre.

Thank you so much for your support! I'm glad you like what I do! :)

Here's a new, small update.

Did some more sculpting on the neck,
142.jpg

And I finally got around to try on my own skull. I duct taped the jaw in place! :D Can't wait to mold and cast that sucker!
I think the size is about right!
143.jpg

144.jpg

145.jpg

What do you think?

I think you are doing a fantastic work!! XD

And the size of the skull it´s pretty good!! Well done!! And keep going!!!

Can´t wait to see more updates!!

yeah, that first skull looked too small for some reason... YOUR skull looks right on the mark. Everything is looking really awesome!:thumbsup

Thank you guys!

Here's a new very small update:
I did some sanding on the front faces of the neck, and I found out you can actually polish the new clay I'm using! Look at the shine of the two middle vertebraes compared to the top two! :D
146.jpg

I have also sculpted a piston rod connector which I will mold and cast. I'm going to need quite a few of these so I figured it would be cheaper to make them myself.
147.jpg

(Piston rod connector WIP)
148.jpg

Piston rod connector in place with the neck

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back