SCORE!! Found item!!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Prop-Maker, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

Check it out. It's seen on the episode "Litmus" when Col. Tigh calls security right before Doral blows himself up. It's officially known as the "TA-954/TT Digital non-secure voice terminal". I'll include a of it picture below. In the episode, it's got a sticker that says "Station 17" on the top and has another sticker which says something... I just have no idea what, but I'll make something up. Here's a link to the auction I just won. Pictures of the episode and my phone below.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The yellow arrows indicate where the two stickers are placed. Now I gotta figure out how to mount it on my wall. Any suggestions?

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great score. :thumbsup

Those Galactica prop guys are sure making it easy for us prop collectors, ain't they... :unsure

ANyway, yeah just as "Litmus" begins you get a much better shot of the phone. "STATION 15" this time, and the bottom label is a location: "06 SEC 01 HALL" presumably Deck 6 section 1.

Also note the vertical bit there next to the round sticker, plus the fact that every key has a sticker on it.

[​IMG]

- k

3. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice job, Jerry. :thumbsup

4. phase pistol

Now you need to find that lit console next to the phone. :D

[​IMG]

- k

5. Prop-Maker

Thanks, Phase, they sure are. I, also, appreciate the clearer screen grab of the sticker. Gives me a better idea of what I wanna put down. I'm gonna hang it in my room, so I'll need to figure out where the crew rack stations are. And how to mount it vertically.

Might start working on that. I appreciate the kind words regarding the e-score, Funky. I'm also in the process of getting a phone like the one used in the CIC. The TA-1/PT, made by the Star Dynamic Corp. Don't know if I'll keep it, though. Probably will. I'd like to have something to plug it into, even if it don't work.

Pictures of the TA-1/PT ("CIC-phone" as I call it).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. phase pistol

If you're gonna talk on THAT phone, you gotta cultivate that pinched gravelly Olmos whisper.

"From this moment...

...we are at war."

:D

- k

7. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very Cool..

Nice Catch...

8. Prop-Maker

One step ahead of ya. :D Not to brag or anything (trying to be modest, here), but I have a pretty good talent for impressions. I can do a pretty good Tigh-impression, too (he's one of my favorite characters... yeah... I said it :D). For some reason, not that many people like him. I think he's great. But Olmos, man... that guy frakkin' REIGNS.

9. Prop-Maker

Anyone have any ideas on how to make that light-up panel next to the phone Tigh's using?

10. phase pistol

I'm guessing a lightbox, colored transparency, and some clear plastic square buttons ought to do it.

Here's an 8x18" box that might do the trick.

[​IMG]

http://www.adorama.com/GPLB818.html

- k

11. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

<!--QuoteBegin-Prop-Maker+Feb 17 2006, 11:52 PM

[img--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prop-Maker @ Feb 17 2006, 11:52 PM

[img)</div>

We used those in the army.
    Do me a favor & put the electrical connection on the end of the curled cable on your forhead & squeeze the button on the side of the handset a few times.
    :angel

12. Prop-Maker

Nah, I'll be alright. :D Very familiar with that one. Thanks, for the help, Phase. Whenever I get that project started, I'll let you know. I'm guessing I could find 'em at Michael's or Hobby Lobby, correct?

13. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

:lol
    Thought I'd try .
    We used to sneak up on people & zap them on the back of the arm.
    Or get people on their foreheads when they were sleeping.,

14. Prop-Maker

Haha, don't worry. I'll do it to some folks, for sure. I'm gonna work on trying to find a way to mount it on a table, like in Galactica's CIC or secure it on a wall, somewhere. I've found some some-what blurry pictures of the CIC mount.

Pics of the TA-1/PT dock on Galactica's CIC.
    [​IMG]

15. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

What has been bothering me is trying to figure out if it has been re-painted. I can figure out if the brige phone have been painted black or grey, or not at all for that matter, it driving me nuts.

16. Prop-Maker

Will these pictures help? Looks like Olive Drab to me.
    [​IMG]

17. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

See It should help but I see black. That's lets go on a rading/fact finding mission and storm the set, and come back with some flightsuits and helmets.

I just noticed one other point, the centre knob on the bad has a black ring (rubber??) and has a different reflective property. If you look at you awsome sreen-caps the base is one uniform color and texture and is different from the above pictures.

18. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

Sweet, I just picked up the bridge phone, well another one. My first one never arrived and I am getting a refund for it. :D

Who els is shooting for the bulkhead phone on ebay? I am going for one of them, just want to know if it another RPF'er. :angel

19. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

I am :)

20. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

Just picked up mine. :D

But now for the bad news. I just spoke with the seller to see how many he had and he just threw away around 200 of them.... :cry

Get one while you can.

21. DemonFire

DemonFire Sr Member

I've also debated on getting one of those. Now that I see this thread I'm gonna just have to find an auction or a seller. if anyone can help with that LMK, would not like to spend a fortune on one.

Adam

22. Prop-Maker

HE JUST THREW THEM AWAY?.?.?.?.?. What kind of moronic-a** idea was that? The Hell was he THINKING?.

23. DemonFire

DemonFire Sr Member

few more have popped up on ebay. I get first dibs since it's my find :p

24. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

Think I know what he wasy thinking.

"How am I going to sell all this ex-military crap. F*** it, I put a few on ebay to see is any retards want to buy this crap and chuck the rest."

25. Prop-Maker

Well, I got my T-954/TT today. It kicks a**. Not as heavy as I thought it would be. Only problem is, the phone doesn't stay put withouth this strap that comes with it. :unsure Since there's no strap holding the reciever to the base on the show, I gotta try to figure how to hold it in place without super gluing it. I still wanna "use" it, you know. :D Maybe I can add some clay to the base, to keep the reciever in place when not in use.

- Strike my last -
    I figured it out. Turns out, there's a bar that the receiver fits into, holding it in place without the strap. YAY.

I didn't win the TA-1/PT. Gonna go for another at some point.

26. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

What are you going to do for the stickers\decals that need to go on it?

27. Prop-Maker

That's the thing... I just don't know. I might be able to get away with the "SECTION 17" sticker by just painting it. The other one... I'm not sure. I can probably do something through microsoft paint, print it up and use double-sided tape to secure it. It's hard to say, really.

Here's what I'm thinking about:
    [​IMG]
    I have to resize the "10", but I'm pretty sure this should work just fine. I printed out the "05 SEC HALL 07" and it fits in the space pretty well. I printed out the whole shi-bang and the "STATION" part fits well, too. I just have to resize the large number. The signs are all just examples. Since I'm gonna hang it in my room, I want this to fit into the proper deck and section, etc. where crew racks are actually located on board "The Bucket". Anyone know what deck, etc. they are? Should I check wikipedia?

28. Obi-wan Coyote

Obi-wan Coyote New Member

Hello. What's that, There's Cylons near Station 17. Got my phone today. Going to test it and see if it works. Pulled the stap off. Now is anyone making the decals for it?
    Talk to you all later, Obi wan Coyote

Ok, I have to say this... Hey Cylons, Can you hear me now? :lol

29. phase pistol

30. Prop-Maker

Cool. Good work, Phase. Now if I could only find what number section and hall where most of the crews "racks" are located and I'll be a happy camper.

31. damon5973

damon5973 Well-Known Member

cool. I am waiting for mine to arrive...would love a set of the stickers?? when you guys get them going....

got mine for 18.99 shipped.

32. phase pistol

33. phase pistol

Actually on further reflection, I see the font is probably a hand-tweaked combination of fonts... the Galactica signage font looks a lot like a font called "Corporate-Normal", but it would have to be condensed and modified manually.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately Corporate does not work on the wall phone stickers so well (Prototype is still better in this case)

[​IMG]

So whatever it is, is probably a handmade font, but the letters look a lot like Corporate (condensed), and the numerals look a little like Prototype.

- k

34. Prop-Maker

This might help with the numbering, etc.
    [​IMG]

35. mr.predicta

mr.predicta Well-Known Member

WOW. all this is very cool guys keep it up.

36. phase pistol

Well you could go totally nuts, and set just the letters in Corporate (with a little manual condense on it), and set the numbers in Prototype (with a little manual stretch horizontally to "extend" it) and fake it that way.

Any more work on this tho and you'll have to pay me my professional graphic design rates. :lol

[​IMG]

- k

37. phase pistol

BTW concerning decks, that's an interesting question. I haven't seen any mention of how many habitable decks Galactica has. Battlestarwiki has this intriguing size compartison chart

[​IMG]

...comparing to a Nimitz-class carrier.

According to the wiki, Galactica's dimensions are

Hull:

* Length: 4,640ft or 1.414 km
    * Beam: 1,820ft or 555 m (flight pod to flight pod - extended)
    * Draft: 580ft or 177 m (source: SciFi.com)

Flight Pods:

* Length (approx): 2,019ft or 615 m
    * Beam (approx): 360ft or 110 m
    * Draft (approx): 211ft or 64 m [2]

http://www.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Galactica_type_battlestar

also, "Galactica's crew complement prior to her scheduled decommissioning was approximately 2,800"

Here is the description of Galactica's main sections

Main Hull

This comprises the bulk of a battlestar, and can, itself, be divided into three sections:

The "alligator head" contains the primary living space for the crew, recreational facilities, mess halls, shipboard operations centres (such as the CIC and Situation Room)[1]; water storage tanks (Water).

The midships area contains the pod retraction mechanisms, crossways linking the hanger pods for the transfer of equipment and personnel, as well as all the necessary hoists for such transfers (Mini-Series). Main munitions stores and distribution mechanisms to "local" munitions stores for main and secondary batteries; fabrication facilities; etc [1].

The stern section contains sublight engines, FTL drive coils, etc. Note that 4 of the sublight engines are mounted externally in engine pods, with 2 more mounted between the pods, in the stern of the battlestar's main hull.

BTW totally off topic, but some interesting research indicates that the TOS Galactica was 4,150 feet long (or about 500 feet shorter than Ron Moore's battlestar)

http://www.tecr.com/galactica/capships/battlestar.htm

And here's a sketchy cutaway of the TOS battlestar (non canon)

[​IMG]

http://ravensbranch.allen.com/galacticasize.html

38. Obi-wan Coyote

NICE WORK. So Phase Pistol have you figure what station and sec. you are going to use?
    Obi wan Coyote

39. phase pistol

Actually it's Prop-Maker who has the phone. :D

- k

40. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Send me the copy and a color in Adobe Ill. or Corel and I can cut some out of adhesive vinyl.

41. phase pistol

42. Obi-wan Coyote

Hello, I would like a copy too.
    Thanks, Obi wan Coyote :thumbsup

43. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

Also in for a copy too.

44. Prop-Maker

Those look great, Phase. About as close as it gets. I'm trying to see about working on something a little closer to the BSG font but I'm still compiling images.

45. Prop-Maker

Well, I finally got around to buying a temporary/makeshift mount for my phone. It's barely balanced on there and the only thing keeping it from falling over forward is a wing and a prayer. I can't really "play with it" so-to-speak, but it works fine for just displaying. So until I find or make something better and get those number keys painted, it'll just have to do.

TA-954/TT "mounted"
    [​IMG]

Now that I think about it and after looking at the picture... I've gotta get somethin' better, so I might just take it down. Lemme know what ya think.

46. Obi-wan Coyote

Hey, one thing you can do is take a router and cut a key hole slot in the back. That what i'm going to do.
    Obi wan Coyote :thumbsup