Love it or Hate it: Here's Some Top Gun Trivia

Hahahah nice guess....:thumbsup

OK, there's a million restaurants "across the street" from Kansas City Barbeque if you count Seaport Village... you don't mean the Hilton? But I can absolutely guarantee 15 people will eat at JediG60Racer's restaurant every night if they have a liquor license (except the Friday of the Eisner's... we do that gyro place that night forever) if he says he's an RPFer so we can keep the money in the family.

Thats the guess I was refering to. ;)

If you're talking Comic-Con, bunch of peeps have dinner there on Wed. Join the party! :thumbsup

Wednesday night is Preview Night for us, and nothing but work for me. Honestly, the week of Comic-con is the one week of the year I do nothing but business. Come join the party up in San Francisco the other 51 weeks of the year! :)

I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but in jargon "bogey" is only while the target(s) remain unidentified. Once they're confirmed hostile, they become "bandit".

Anecdotal stuff tangentially related...

My favorite comment about this movie, from a Tomcat driver: "The two biggest errors in this movie are that we don't sweat in a dogfight, and it doesn't take us a week to get laid."

About this aircraft, and its predecessor: "The F-4 Phantom II was proof that with enough power, even a brick can fly. The F-14 Tomcat is proof that with even more power, we can make it do tricks."

--Jonah

:rolleyes

Hey YT, thanks for posting that. Apparently, unlike others, I don't hang out at the IMDB all day, so I had never read that nor is it likely that I would have run across it.

However, after seeing the thread title for a on this board for day or two I looked in because I do like TopGun. I liked it in the eighties when it came out and even today it remains a guilty pleasure. When my nephew developed a love for jets and fighter aircraft it was the first movie I thought of. When I found out he hadn't seen it I made sure to make it part of his Christmas present.

Needless to say, he loved it.

Of course, I am still working on my Nerd black belt. Once I have attained it I will be required to complain about the band-width you are wasting by posting this thread and let you know I already knew all that because I read it on the IMDB. Then I'll run out and post COOL! or AWESOME WORK, DUDE! on every new-build thread I can find.

But in the meantime, in between times, thanks for posting that.

The piano scene and the final bar/jukebox scene were shot in a San Diego restaurant called Kansas City BBQ, at the corner of Kettner Blvd and W. Harbor Drive. The restaurant housed many props and memorabilia from the film, including the jukebox and Maverick's flight helmet sits behind the bar in a locked display case. However, on June 26, 2008 Kansas City BBQ suffered a grease fire that destroyed the establishment, including all of the Top Gun memorabilia on display.

Maverick's helmet is in Screenused's private collection:
http://www.screenused.com/index.cfm?sectionID=items&subsectionID=index.cfm

Great thread, I love this film however gay it is!

Joe

Wednesday night is Preview Night for us, and nothing but work for me. Honestly, the week of Comic-con is the one week of the year I do nothing but business. Come join the party up in San Francisco the other 51 weeks of the year! :)

Hey now, don't tempt me... I go to school in San Jose...

<<The piano scene and the final bar/jukebox scene were shot in a San Diego restaurant called Kansas City BBQ, at the corner of Kettner Blvd and W. Harbor Drive. The restaurant housed many props and memorabilia from the film, including the jukebox and Maverick's flight helmet sits behind the bar in a locked display case. However, on June 26, 2008 Kansas City BBQ suffered a grease fire that destroyed the establishment, including all of the Top Gun memorabilia on display.>>

Um, really? ^ Again, that's not correct. They did have a grease fire, and the place did suffer damage, but the piano and most of the Top Gun stuff survived intact. And the place was not destroyed - they took the opportunity to renovate and made it much nicer.

Thanks go out to the fans of Greek Islands Cafe, btw! Yes, as MicDavis said, that's the place where I've been senior chef for 12 years, and working for a total of 15. We host the Preview Night Dinner and offer a 15% discount to Con attendees who mention that they know me, for the duration of the Con. This past year I did actually work some shifts during the Con, but most years I take that week off to go play. This year -- we'll see. I may be moving on from the Greek to a new field. But even if that happens, the Preview Night Dinner and discount shall still happen -- the owners are like family at this point.

:rolleyes
Hey YT, thanks for posting that. Apparently, unlike others, I don't hang out at the IMDB all day, so I had never read that nor is it likely that I would have run across it.

No problem, I ran across it and thought it was cool. I am glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. To the detractors, you are so right, what on Earth was I thinking posting movie trivia on a board dedicated to movie props?? :rolleyes

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back