Science Fiction Tear Jerkers that you know of?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Mauiman, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mauiman

Mauiman Well-Known Member

Hello All!

I am wondering which episodes of what series and even a movie was a Tear Jerker even Tear reducers were in.

My starting is Stargate SG-1: Season 1 Episode 7 - Cold Lazarus
    Jack O'neil gets to see an energy production of his dead son Charlie and ultimately has to be brought back to the gate as the projection was dying.

I am in tears right now as I am typing this post and I am about to start sobbing from it.

All the best!
    -Alex

2. apolifka

apolifka Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My girlfriend is pretty sappy with movies and we watched ROTJ a few weeks ago. She hadn't seen it since childhood and choked up at the Vader reveal scene when he dies in Luke's arms.

More recently, seeing (can't remember episode number) from season 4 of the Dr Who reboot when Donna asks Rose (not knowing who she is) to tell her mum that she put the family's car keys in the trash can as she flys away with The Doctor and then seeing Rose disappear D:

3. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

4. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a pretty obvious one, to me.

A WHOLE BUNCH of new Dr. Who episodes have gotten me choked up thanks to good writing, good acting, and clever employment of moving music.

5. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the first one that realy comes to mind for me , is E.T. , i was totaly ok and undercontrol until i looked over at my mom , she was crying because the kid behind us was crying and that was all it took for me. oh, and the back stage scenes to american idol and the x-factor, i dont watch them any more.....it's just TO DAM EMOTIONAL FOR ME! :lol:lol
    im such a baby :cry

6. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SPOILERS!!!

Not really a "cry" person but the Inner Light episode of TNG is very touching.

Rose leaving the Doctor (albeit not by her own choice) was incredibly sad and well done. Should have been her last appearance, very powerful.

Doctor Who "Turn Left" is a fantastic episode with many tearful moments. Same with almost all the deaths in Silence in the Library.

Not really sci-fi but the death of Atreyu’s horse and the Rock man bemoaning his "big strong hands" in The Neverending Story are both tear jerkers.

7. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

"Sleeping in Light" from "Babylon 5" I can't get past the scene of Delenn watching the sunrise without tears.

8. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

The end of Bicentenial Man where Andrew and Portia die. Also, in the middle, when Little Miss passes away in the hospital.

9. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We cried like little girls at the end of 'Where the Red Fern Grows'. The part where the father takes his plasma rifle out back to put down the families pet Kraken.........:cry

10. apolifka

apolifka Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bwahaha

11. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

+1 for this.

12. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Several episodes of RDM's Battlestar get me. Adama's reaction to Starbuck dying is a biggie. EJO really brought it on that show, imo... the scene where he is sitting on the floor weeping uncontrollably with Lee holding him and trying to console him... :cry

13. Madeye

Madeye Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dr Who's Van Gough episode ending.

14. familyman

familyman Sr Member

I actauly got chocked up a bit at the end of ROTS when Obi wan says to Anakin "You were my Brother!"

ET always does it for me.

Rose Tyler and the Doctor when they are on either side of the wall/void the music is amazing aswell. And later in that episode when the doctor is about to say he loves Rose and then you see him standing alone in the Tardis.

The girl who waited episode of Doctor Who where Amy grows old.

Armageddon

15. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yup, gets me every time. A lot of DR Who episodes get me choked up, just great writing and acting.

Another was Crichton dying in Farscape (well, the copy, maybe?)

and when Bud was saying goodbye in "The Abyss" after doing that crazy decent to the bottom, knowing he went on a suicide mission to save them. Even in a movie, that kind of selfless act of bravery gets me.

16. chris_s

chris_s Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

+1 to the Spock/Kirk scene

Star Trek TNG:
    - when Picard is given the flute. I think the episode is Inner Light.
    - Generations when he's talking about his brother and nephew being burned

17. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Enemy Mine
    Starman

18. asemblyrequired

asemblyrequired Well-Known Member

Episode 1-3 because they where so bad .

-James

19. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

T2. The Terminator tells John I must go away and get's lowered into the molten steel.

20. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

My wife used to laugh at me because she had nevre seen me cry at a movie, but when the Enterprise blew up in Star Trek three I made a audible YELP!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  21. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I have such a problem regarding that self destruct. It only blew up like a third of the saucer section of the ship. If it wasn't in a gravity well at the time, it'd have just floated in space. The planet's atmosphere did more to destroy it than the ship's own self destruct mechanism. That's not a very good system if the intent is to make sure the ship can't be salvaged.

22. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

You beat me good - wanna say that too.

[​IMG]

23. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

But it looked SO COOL... :cool

24. hankey01

hankey01 Sr Member

I cannot watch an episode of Futurama (Jurassic Bark) where Fry's dog Seymour (in the past) waits for Fry to return for years until he finally dies. I am not ashamed to admit I shed a few tears. The final frame where he closes his eyes.... :(

Considering my dog had been suffering with a large cancerous mass in her lungs for 2 years..I won't be watching it any time soon either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muyj_spgCls&feature=fvwrel

From Wikpedia:

"When Fry takes Bender to a museum exhibit, he is shocked to find a fossilized dog on display, which he recognizes as his pet from the 20th century, Seymour. For three days he protests in front of the museum by dancing to "The Hustle" by Van McCoy, demanding they give him Seymour's body, which proves successful. Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth then examines Seymour's body, and concludes that, due to his unusually rapid fossilization, a DNA sample can be made to produce a clone, and it would even be possible to recreate Seymour's personality and memory.

Fry begins to prepare for the dog and Bender becomes jealous, especially when Fry refers to Seymour as "my best friend". Just when the professor is ready to clone Seymour, Bender arrives. Angry that Fry will not spend time with him, he grabs the fossil and throws it in a pit of lava, believing that destroying it will restore his friendship with Fry.

Fry is furious at Bender and extremely upset at having lost Seymour. Bender realizes how Fry could love an inferior creature and apologizes for what he did. The professor explains that the fossil may not have instantly melted, as it was made of dolomite. With this in mind, Bender, claiming to be partly made from dolomite, dives into the lava and recovers the fossil.

The professor begins the cloning process and his computer informs him that Seymour died at the age of 15, meaning he lived for twelve years after Fry was frozen. Fry has a change of heart, and aborts the cloning process, believing that Seymour must have moved on with his life, found a new owner, and forgotten about him, saying "I had Seymour until he was three. That's when I knew him, and that's when I loved him. I'll never forget him. But he forgot me a long time ago." A flashback then shows that in the years that passed after Fry left, Seymour had faithfully obeyed Fry's last command, which was to wait in front of Panucci's Pizza until he returned. Seymour stays there as the years pass and he, the pizzeria, and Mr. Panucci begin to show their age. In the final shot, Seymour lies down and closes his eyes."

25. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

26. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

* that Seymour episode. :cry

27. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Problem is there are zombie horses that keep coming back, like in 3D even.
    [​IMG]

28. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Most of the good ones have been mentioned... but here's two more:
    In Dark Angel, end of season one when Zack says"...I have a heart for you." That freakin' kills me. Tissues necessary.
    In Armageddon when Harry is about to push the button. Mega tissues necessary.

29. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

I love that episode, soo touching and well written

30. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Time Travellers Wife, a few sad moments in that film. Also Tron Legacy, Kevin Flynn's and Tron's death (my two heroes :cry).

31. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Tron's not dead, he switched his forced reprgramming from Rinzler back to Tron!

32. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

+1 for Jurassic Bark. Oh man, that is rough.

33. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Without a doubt I'd say "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"

34. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

Gattaca--The ending gets me every time

35. Carson Dyle

Carson Dyle Sr Member

The robo-child abandonment scene in "A.I." is gut-wrenching. Maybe to a fault.

And I have to admit, I hadn't seen "E.T." in years, but I watched it recently with my kids, and the ending still kinda gets me.

36. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

37. Canobi

:facepalm yeah man, that gets me every time. Love that film :thumbsup

38. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The scene in Predator where Swarzenegger is covered in mud and you realize the Predator can't see him at all. I kept thinking this can't be happening. He may actually kill the Predator. Sure he laughed when he set off the self destruct but you could tell it was ironic laughter. That really got to me. I cried all the way through the credits.

Doc

P.S. I agree on Jurassic Bark BTW awa many Dr Who episodes (Family of Blood especially).

39. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

40. Carson Dyle

Carson Dyle Sr Member

Ooo, yeah, Silent Running. Good one. Bruce Dern's performance is a career best.

41. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Beat me to it!

42. Canobi

I watched that as a kid and started crying when the robot got sucked off the ship (they are really sweet for some reason), I still can't see that scene without welling up. I didn't care about the guy blowing himself up at the time, I was just so pleased the robots didn't go with the ship. Cried again at the end when you see them drifting off watering the plants.

Also, an obscure French animated Sci-Fi film by the name "Time Masters". It' a story of a kid that gets seperated from his family by a spatial anomaly and ends up getting rescued by his future self (I think?). Worth checking out, it's quite a good film but it has some very sad moments in it.

43. steveo

steveo Sr Member

I concur! I've only seen it one time cause it was too sad. Great awesome soundtrack too.

44. MrNixon

MrNixon New Member

Enemy mine for sure:
    "Zames get four five?" :*>(

45. deck5

deck5 Sr Member

46. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Same here. It was a great send off for Sheridan though!

47. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned this: The last few minutes of Battlestar Galactica. Seriously, from the moment we last see Galactica to Adama sitting on the hill alone had me crying hard.

48. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I don't know if they're tear jerkers but the one ones of Fry's family in the past where we see flashbacks always seem to get to me. It makes the character feel more real, especially the one with the lucky clover.

49. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I cry every time I watch Star Trek V....

...it could have been sooo good....

:lol

50. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

This japanese movie
    Time Traveller: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2010)

Had our whole family bawling towards the end...

hong kong movie
    CJ-7

had my daughter bawling -- kind of an asian ET

oh i was pretty devastated in serenity when
    wash was killed