Scar (SideShow) for anyone still on the bench

Viper15

This was originally a reply in Dans thread below but it became a little too long, therefor i started a new thread for anyone that is still on the bench about spending $300 (£225) on this bio, long story short... dont bother, hand your money over to Hez or Casey or any other talented true predator fan that will offer the product you deserve at this price.

A quick note first of all, just for comparisson shots, i used my P2 bio that i brought about 3-4 years ago from ebay, I have absolutely no idea who made this bio so if anyone here knows, or even made it then give me a shout as id love to know. hopefully i wont find out its a re-cast but if it is... its still better than sideshows efforts in everyway except materials (its pretty fragile) which may tell you something?

I am weak minded i know but after cancelling my order due to Dans review i replaced my order fo scar, perhaps i wanted it to be a bad dream or a mistake but mainly due only to the fact that as Dan said, it would be nice to have the whole set up on the wall. I figured i would simply put Scar straight up on the wall as far away from my PC desk as possible and try to ignore the piss poor cost cutting lenses that this otherwise nice looking bio comes with. Alas a large box arrived at my door this morning and and i got that childish excited feeling despite not having too high hopes of the piece over all. I have to say though, unfortunately this piece is even more of a HUGE dissapointment than i was expecting for reasons i will list below with a few pictures.

Right, down to business, Il start with the few Pro's about the piece. The sculpt its self is really nice. I know many people think of Scar as a poor mans P1 but im one of those that thinks more of this Bio as a nice tribute to P1, if you really look at them they are quite different in several ways and i really like the Curves on this bio, therefor despite being very slightly warped (wether the movie version was im not sure??) this is a great looking piece imo

Scarsideshow028.jpg

Secondly, the stand is beautifully crafted and works very well. It is ver sturdy and looks fantastic, it also features a nice hammer effect so that the whole piece fits nicely and flows very well. The magnet is a great feature also as anyone who has Wolf should already know. I was a little worrid about placing a heavy item high off the ground (wall mounted) with just a magnet to hold it up but i needn't have worried. This things almost pulls the bio out of your hand when you get close to connecting it its that strong.

Scarsideshow077.jpg.gif

Another pro point (im ignoring the Paper lens here as im trying get the good points up to a total of 3!) Is that the materials used on this piece seem to be of good quality, the bio its self has a nice thick/heavy feel to it and you get the impression that it would survive minor misshaps if needed just not being ran over as already proved :lol:

Now to the unfortunate bits. I think Dan adiquetly covered the paper lenses so i wont go into detail on them except to say he was spot on with his description, the printing pattern its self is very poor and to use paper parts on a $300 collectable, especially on a part as vital as the eye's is just unbelievable, its almost sickening infact!! It really do's boggle the mind and i hope whoever signed off to that decision isn't in a position of power for the future pred bio's from sideshow? So now that is said and done, my main problem with this piece is the paint, As you can see from my picture above a 5 year old in a primary school art class appears to have painted mine and unfortunately has forgotten to weather it at all!!! Now i realise Scar was a youngling with no experience so it could be argued that the bio's should be a clean silver and i would even agree..... IF it didn't have the scar imprint, by the time he scared his mask he had been in several fights and the mask should depict this, further more the prototype on sidehows site looks fantastic with its heavy wethering and the mask's we recieve should be the same. Mine genuinely is just one colour... flat silver!!!!

Compare it to my Fan mad P2 which is worlds better!
Scarsideshow041.jpg.gif

Still on the subject of paint, unfortunatly, the child that painted mine left several hairs/brissles under the paint work! and im not joking.....

Scarsideshow045.jpg

That hair is huge! if i pulled it off i would have a long unpainted line on my bio and there are atlest 6 other hairs that iv seen so far, bear in mind i opened the box only 30 mins ago! Who is in charge of quality control over at sideshow???

So ignoring the obvious visor, the paint is the main dissapointment for me, but there are a couple of other things. Firstly, mine sits at a slight angle on the stand, its not hugely noticable but it is enough to annoy me, also, the bottom LED casing on mine is slightly warped and gives the impression that the led is out of place which is also annoying, wheter this is the case on all of the bio's or just mine im not sure??

Scarsideshow026.jpg

There are a few other small things but Dan mentioned most of them (too subtle hammer effect, horrible brush strokes etc) so this will do for my little review, i think iv added a few other dissapointing facts. So if you are on the bench and still considering buying this piece, well ultimately it is up to you but i really can't recommend it. From a company like sideshow this could have (should have!) been superb but due mainly to over the top cost cutting and poor paint work, it is a massive dissapointment. As i said at the start, Support the fan base and give your hard earned money to Someone who will put a little pride into their work and send you a fantastic display piece that this unfortunately isn't

Sideshow, Please get your act togeather for Celtic, chopper and any other Bio's you have planned? Please, Please, PLEASE!

just to lift the mood slightly, i happen to think a P2 would look great on your stand ;)

Scarsideshow080.jpg.gif

Best regards All, Matt

Scarsideshow045.jpg

...are you ******** me? Seriously? Hair? There are hairs in the paint??

Holy mother of g#d. What the hell is going on over at Sideshow?

You're not seriously planning on keeping that thing, are you? Xrist, I would be demanding a refund so fast...

Unacceptable.

Seriously mate, Sideshow need to be sending you a refund or replacement on that thing. Hairs in the paint? They've got to be kidding.

Scarsideshow045.jpg

...are you ******** me? Seriously? Hair? There are hairs in the paint??

Holy mother of g#d. What the hell is going on over at Sideshow?

You're not seriously planning on keeping that thing, are you? Xrist, I would be demanding a refund so fast...

Unacceptable.

I wish i was joking but unfortunately not! Iv found quite a few hairs, lumps of paint and brush strokes, infact the blemishes are the only things that really stand out on this bio! it is an absolute disgrace of a piece imo, real shame as even Dans review gave a little glimpse of hope haha. I am sending this back first thing monday and putting the money towards copying your P2 display as you know Hez, expect a call in the next month or two, once iv found an undermask etc il be needing a decent bio!

Matt

Also, the lack of detailing... They just swished a stroke of paint over the marking, instead of following the welded edges... Wow, I'm really close to canceling my order on the Celtic now...

I know, the whole paint app is just terrible im affraid. As for Celtic, well iv kept my pre order in the hope they do a decent job of him but lets face it, the paint apps are pretty much the same on scar and celtic, if they messed this simple bio up im sure celtic will be just as bad. Not to mention its anyones guess what they are going to do with his visor, surely they wont be as cheap with him after the uproar of scar but we'l have to wait and see i suppose.....

buddy that is just about the saddest thing ive ever seen... i cant believe they would let that **** out of there factory (or wherever it comes out of, someones ass perhaps) that fuckin hair looks like it's 3 inches long! what the hell happened?!?!?! luckily that P2 bio you have is awesome! ive got the celtic on preorder, i missed the wolf (*********!!) cause that one they apparently did a great job with from what i can tell of the reviews. but i never really liked the scar too much (the bio that is) it always just looked like a mis-proportionate P1 bio (the bottom half being too big, or the top half too small, whichever.) but ya definately get up with the real pros that we have right here on this forum, thats what i think i need to do, there are some kick ass artists on here bro! send that ****** back, and maybe even attach a bomb threat so they know your serious, i feel your pain man , and all of you that have been had by sideshows apparently new set of artists that just dont give a ****! wethering can be applied, slightly misshaped laser housings can be ignored, but A FUCKIN 3-4 INCH HAIR RUNNIN DOWN IT'S FORHEAD? HOLY **** MAN! we should all strongly suggest to them to fire the qc guys and girls that are letting this kind of stuff happen, whoever they are is ruining sideshow, imo. sorry man.

Swift knife, i would be very interested to see if you review is submitted, but i highly doubt it, i think most people that brought this piece are pretty annoyed, im sure plenty of people have submitted reviews and yet there is still only one review and its a very positive one. After reading the small print on the sideshow site however, it says that any overly negative reviews will be deleated, now if you think about it, that means you cant post an honest review for such a piss poor piece like this that has no real positive points to mention? therefor they have a review system that will only display positive reviews.... another joke!

buddy that is just about the saddest thing ive ever seen... i cant believe they would let that **** out of there factory (or wherever it comes out of, someones ass perhaps) that fuckin hair looks like it's 3 inches long! what the hell happened?!?!?! luckily that P2 bio you have is awesome! ive got the celtic on preorder, i missed the wolf (*********!!) cause that one they apparently did a great job with from what i can tell of the reviews. but i never really liked the scar too much (the bio that is) it always just looked like a mis-proportionate P1 bio (the bottom half being too big, or the top half too small, whichever.) but ya definately get up with the real pros that we have right here on this forum, thats what i think i need to do, there are some kick ass artists on here bro! send that ****** back, and maybe even attach a bomb threat so they know your serious, i feel your pain man , and all of you that have been had by sideshows apparently new set of artists that just dont give a ****! wethering can be applied, slightly misshaped laser housings can be ignored, but A FUCKIN 3-4 INCH HAIR RUNNIN DOWN IT'S FORHEAD? HOLY **** MAN! we should all strongly suggest to them to fire the qc guys and girls that are letting this kind of stuff happen, whoever they are is ruining sideshow, imo. sorry man.

Well that hair goes alot further down, all the way through the scar detail and out the bottom! i have since found quite a few more also... i can think of two reasons for these quality control problems. 1: they are simply going by the ignorance is bliss method and not really checking the quality at all in an attemp to save yet more costs having to repare/replace pieces? or 2: there is a blind member of staff over at sideshow who has been given one of the most innapropriate jobs in history, but even s/he would be able to feel all the blemishes on my bio's paint work :lol: i really am lost for words. Also your bomb threat idea may be a little ott but id love to actually be able to have a chat with someone over there, but it seems they have gone back to the ignorance is bliss mode when it comes to emails regarding the scar bio, iv recieved no reply's! But yes, i would recommend anyone after a bio to search out the talented artists on here, there's a few id like myself and may get soon thanks to saving £225 on this piece and no doubt il be saving another £210 in 3 months time when Celtic is released, we shal see....

Yeah, thats deffinately a human hair, the rest are brush brissles. Atleast Forbidden planet are taking this thing away tomorrow and refunding me, iv also emailed sideshows reccomendations section about this bio's bad points and what we would like to see from future bio's (namely proper mesh and decent paint application) in a very polite manner but i doubt very much i will recieve any responce.

Speaking of Hairs on Paint jobs I got my Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 3 and it came with the Lint still stuck on it. I wrote to Hot toys about my IMMK3 and so far no response.
My dealer said apparently out of the 100 he sold 20 of them had repeated hands/ same side foot attached and losing colors on parts - and mine had a freaking hair lint stuck
on it fresh. This was due to HT rushing on orders

Pics:
lintscratch.jpg

That sucks.

What's the point in spending a great deal of money on something that is half-assedly put together, painted by a blind person, and "Quality Checked" by someone who obviously doesn't care about their job? Can someone please explain it to me? You all know it's going to be cheap, and **** quality... yet you fork over the cash for it anyway.

Sideshow is notorious; especially for the "bait and switch" method. Not to mention it's quite unsettling that you can't post a negative review on their own message board. What the **** is that about? "Oh ****, we've been had!!" To me, that says enough. We aren't all fans who will throw outrageous sums of money for crap. That's right, crap. CRAP. If anyone here spends the kind of money they ask for their stuff, they better recieve goddamn movie quality pieces. None of this assembly-line, half-ass ********. But on the other hand.. serves you right. Giving money for anything and everything that says "Predator" on it. So long as it says "Predator" on the box, and there's some kind of assurance it's from the movie molds.. then it's alright huh? I bet they make a mint off of you guys. " Well, it looks OK, and it says PREDATOR and I'll buy anything that says PREDATOR on it."

Erm.. not sure if thats all aimed at me but il try and answer some of your points. First of all, i am not spending a great deal money on this, i gave it a chance and it let me down more than i imagined it possibly could, it has now been returned. Also, i agree $300 is incredibly expensive for this piece... but only because it is so ****! if sideshow had made it right then i would happily pay the money for a replica bio taken straight from the movie molds and painted properly as it should be. I also thgink the materials etc should be the same as the movie uesed props, as you say, that is what were paying for after all.

As for your second paragraph, i agree with the first part and have made several comments myself on here and Fakens youtube vid about sideshows messed up review system... it is quite simply a con and there is no denying that.

The second part seems a little harsh to me. I dont spend my hard earned money on anything and everything they pump out? However the lure of a perfect replica bio dragged me in, i love predator bio's and the thought of owning a set cast from the genuine molds is worth $300 a piece for me at leaset. Sideshow got it right for the most part with wolf and i missed out on him (have been on the waitlist for ages!) i wasn't about to miss out on this one and i had convinced myself that i could bear the paper lenses, even though they are a slap in the face of everyone that buys this item imo. unfortunately the whole item was terrible, this is sideshows fault, not the fans for placing trust in SS? As i said before, mine has gone back, i do agree with you that people paying money for this rubbish does almost beg sideshow to cheap out on future products and iv made that comment myself in Dans review, never the less, its a free world, if people are happy paying a lot of money for crap like this then who are we to argue?

Oh and Uratz, can you get it replaced? surely the more people complain and return things the more care these company's are likely to take in future...

regards, Matt

iv also emailed sideshows reccomendations section about this bio's bad points and what we would like to see from future bio's (namely proper mesh and decent paint application)

well i did recieve a responce from a pleasent lady over at sideshow today regarding scar and snippets about celtic....
i missed the first paragraph out as it was standard stuff...

"I was told today that the material used is not paper. It is Styrene, a
thin plastic material. The Scar Predator Prop Replica was never
presented or pictured with mesh as a material. I am sorry for any
misunderstanding or assumption due to the material being used in the
production of the Wolf Predator Prop Replica. The Celtic Predator Prop
Replica will not have mesh included in the materials for production

Please let me know if I can assist you further!"

As for celtic, i know mesh wasnt used but that reply leads me to believe they will be using the same stuff?

As for celtic, i know mesh wasnt used but that reply leads me to believe they will be using the same stuff?

No, it's already been established that the Celtic will not have any lenses at all. They've simply left the resin in the eye sockets and painted it silver.

I can't help but smirk at all the Scar helmets collecting dust on ebay right now. It seems that after all the negative reviews, retailers are having a hard time moving these things. It would be nice to think that Sideshow might take the hint and beef up the quality of the Celtic helmet before release...but I'm not holding my breath.

Things are probably already too far along in the production process for them to do anything about the celtic. The chopper might end up being OK. I'm hoping to pick up a scar cheaply at some point. As a base to start from it should be able to produce a great looking bio.

Bounty Haunter, we can certainly hope but....

Things are probably already too far along in the production process for them to do anything about the celtic. The chopper might end up being OK. I'm hoping to pick up a scar cheaply at some point. As a base to start from it should be able to produce a great looking bio.

I suppose if you are handy with an airbrush it could be saved... i am not in the least however Also, i paid for a film accurate bio so expect one but again if you can find one cheap then go for it. Just be aware, i found a hairline crack running along the back of mine just before i sent it back, i think i was so focused on the bad paint work and ugly pap... styrene lenses that i completely missed the crack and Dan's had bad casting also, if you do find one cheap just check it over well to make sure this isn't the reason.

And i agree about celtic, like i said in the other thread, im sure they have been built now and are most likely already in the same paint factory scar visited... oh dear.

I know feeling python as i just received my scar bio over the last week and my paint job is good on my scar bio but im so so disappointed with the eyes it feels almost like thick paper just weathered i love my wolf bio from sideshow that bio has amazing detail and metal mesh eyes but i have to say i feel they really went down the drain on the scar i wont be picking up any more bios from sideshow they do great work with most of there products and i love all my premium format figures and 12 star wars and snakes eyes figures as well as my hell boy samaritan but the scar bio just seems they dropped the ball

Deffinately, they let us all down big time on this one, iv kept my pre-order for celtic but i am eagerly awaiting some in hand reviews before i decide wether to cancel or not? I doubt il buy any more from sideshow, seems wolf was a brilliant one off unfortunately. I am also looking forward to HCG's efforts being a huge P2 fan and all have that on pre order directly from them, roll on 4th quarter......

I really kind of agree with Robillicus, although I think the way he said it was a little too direct. Companys like Sideshow continue to make products AND make a profit because people buy what they sell despite the pisspoor quality of their products. The terrible pre-painted figures, the paper lenses. And things like that are the reason why the "boycott" was developed. I refuse to buy anything from Sideshow until I see that the products they churn out are CONTINUALLY of stellar quality and production. $300 for a collectible with paper lenses really says it all as far as I'm concerned. They're not getting a cent from me. And they'd really get the picture if everyone who is fed up with their complete lack of quality and shoddy manufacturing would stop ordering these products.

But, that's just how I feel. I could be wrong.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back