Scar (SideShow) for anyone still on the bench

Couldn't agree more but then the dio's for example are superb, the P1 especially and im sooooo tempted to get a T-800 premium format. Unfortunately it seems sideshow are a little hit and miss and its a crying shame that it is my personal favourite line that has been screwed with!! probably why the celtic is set at 750 pieces only, i await to see a review of a production piece, perhaps sidehshow will have woken up but........

The sculpting on the dioramas is really pretty good, and to be honest, the sculpting on a lot of the pieces is VERY good, but the paint, almost across the board on the actual pieces themselves that customers receive is pretty ho-hum. And definitely not the kind of paint someone should be getting for a $300 movie-licensed collectible. The paintjob I saw on the huge P1 maquette was one of the most inexcusable things I've ever seen. I mean, how much was that thing? like, $2,000? And the paintjob was so atrociously below quality in comparison to the amazing prototype that I just was totally floored... I literally could not believe it. For that kind of money, anything costing 4 figures SHOULD BE of a quality higher than a shoddy $150 prepaint. And even then, it's like they've got no pride in their work. The paintjobs on even the P1 and P2 dios isn't good enough to convince me into taking the plunge and forking over the dough.

Believe me, no one agrees with you more than me but the dio's really are very well painted, the P2 isn't quite as good as the P1 but its very good non the less (even with the dread rings being very poor on mine), also, the sculpts are superb, the bio's are perfect, so much so that they are a damn site more symetrical than sideshows full size efforts, i really do like them..... And the scar bio was one of the most pathetic collectables iv ever owned, it was just terrible paint wise and paper visor wise.... as i keep saying i really hope ss wake up and improve things, or atleast i hope they already have in the case of the celtic bio, its a much more desirable piece than scar so if they have messed this one up i think they will be up s*it creek without that paddle.......

Hmmm, well i got my replacement scar today and was suprised and unsuprised in a way.

First of all the bad, The paint job is as expected awful! It is even worse than my first scar on page 1, this one also has hairs (is this just me being unlucky?!) and actually has 6 large unpainted marks, they look like chips and scratches and yet that QC sticker is sitting there proudly None of this bothers me in the least however, i brought this with the intention of repainting the whole mask and replacing the damned awful lenses (which are very dark on my new one) I think il get this thing looking good one day soon

Now, for the good news. It is widely known that these sideshow/ADI bio's are noticably warped, my first one was really bad on the rear top, I assumed it was due to ADI being on a tight schedule when producing this bio, Apparently not. This one is much... Much more semetrical which suprised me a great deal, it actually looks really good sculpt wise. My point is, if you buy one of these in future, take any Asymetry as a faulty product on sideshows part.... Not ADI's as i did. I now look forward to recieving my celtic next week so i can fix that up also :lol:

All the best....

Now, for the good news. It is widely known that these sideshow/ADI bio's are noticably warped, my first one was really bad on the rear top, I assumed it was due to ADI being on a tight schedule when producing this bio, Apparently not. This one is much... Much more semetrical which suprised me a great deal, it actually looks really good sculpt wise. My point is, if you buy one of these in future, take any Asymetry as a faulty product on sideshows part.... Not ADI's as i did. I now look forward to recieving my celtic next week so i can fix that up also

All the best....
That's interesting actually, I would not have thought that there would be significant warping. I hereby apologise to all those who had to listen to me rant about people making up complaints for the celtic! Maybe I just got a good one (still not perfectly symmetrical though).

Hopefully you can get yours looking good mate...a good casting is half the battle.

That's interesting actually, I would not have thought that there would be significant warping. I hereby apologise to all those who had to listen to me rant about people making up complaints for the celtic! Maybe I just got a good one (still not perfectly symmetrical though).

Hopefully you can get yours looking good mate...a good casting is half the battle.

I thought you'd like that bit Paul. I was suprised myself. The mouth area is a little off but that is indeed true of the ADI mask according to the man himself at ADI, and it isn't all that noticable to be fair. The top rear however is pretty much fine on my new scar, wheras before it was terrible to look at, only hidden by the even worse looking lenses lol. Im suprised also at the variations on the sideshow masks as you'd imagine they would all be pretty much equal. That said im not suprised as SS seem a littl inconsistent at the minute. Atleast i know now that if i recieve a bent celtic i may be able to exchange it for a better one.... Or not seeing as FP are only getting 10 in for the whole country and already have more pre-orders than that. (im one of the lucky 10) Im not paying £250 for one from Play either!

Oh and the scars lenses it would seem are a relatively easy fix, they arent one solid piece at all!! So no need to cut into the back of the bio. They are a black background with two sererate dark sunglass lenses stuck on top and a silver mesh pattern painted directly onto the lenses to kill off some of the reflection, so it would be easy just to paint the paper lens black but i may rip it iout completely, havn't decided yet as im not sure what is undernieth it?.... Hopefully if all goe's well il have something that reflects a more screen accurate bio soon, either way, im sure it will look better than sideshows effort, or lack of

I was preparing to buy the set of these busts but luckily i found this forum. I've decided to go custom route for my entire Bio collection. Once the refund lands in my account for a piece of badly painted ***** that Sideshow call the Ironman bust i'm ready to go.

I was preparing to buy the set of these busts but luckily i found this forum. I've decided to go custom route for my entire Bio collection. Once the refund lands in my account for a piece of badly painted ***** that Sideshow call the Ironman bust i'm ready to go.

You could put that refund towards sideshows new battle damaged Iron man 1.1, or now even the Mk 2 (silver) they aren't the dodgy returns with a few scrapes painted on or stripped paint in the mk 2's case... honest!!

My new scar, ***** paint as expected but at least it's symetrical for the most part, il get this one looking really good soon i think Going to paint it a much lighter silver, heavily weatherd with a couple of different shades, paint the paper black (or preferably rip it out depending whats undernieth?) and add two sunglass lenses with the correct mesh pattern painted on. This is how the screen used mask was done. Looking forward to stripping the paint off of this and getting started :lol:

look at all the chips and scratches.... sideshows awsome QC at it's finest!
DSCF8413.jpg

DSCF8442.jpg

DSCF8508.jpg

wrong colour compared to a screen used bio.
DSCF8479.jpg

Will start a new thread once my upgrade has been done.... and then it's on to the celtic which should be with me in 2 days.

I'd send that back, The words Quality Control and Made in China obviously don't go together.

Normally i would, but i brought it with the intention of completely repainting it anyway, Still not on! This is the second scar iv had and both have been as bad as each other.

Post some pics when you've painted it. Sadly painting isn't an option for me otherwise i'd have kept the Ironman and redone it but I just couldn't get my head around paying out a lot of cash and then having to pay to get it finished.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back