Sauron WIP

echo5633

After watching The Hobbit I decided on my next project. I would love to finish the whole set of armor but I'm lazy and lose interest pretty quick so we'll see how far I get.
Peped the helmet ( a pain by the way )

started making some templates for the gauntlets and a generic hand mold for vacuum forming. I added an Ivy pattern to a piece of plastic and a piece of the finger armor I plan on adding the same pattern to the rest of the armor as I make it.

I have never done pep but this is a helmet I've wanted forever. Keep up the work. I have a generic template for a gauntlet. Pm me your email and I'll shoot it over to you.

that is so bad ass man where did you find the file?

PM me your email and I send it to you. but be warned this file has some issues. once you finish peping it its in 4 or 5 pieces that don't line up and are a pain to assemble. you can see on the 3d screen of pep viewer that the pieces overlap and go through one another so your gonna have to do some significant modifications to put it together. I cut off a lot of unnecessary parts and had to make just as many for it to be symmetrical and one solid piece with no overlaps. This might not make a lot of sense but build it and you'll understand.

built up and smoothed out the knuckle covers for the gauntlets. I still have to fix a few things and fine tune the shape but I should have them done tomorrow and maybe I'll be able to try a few vacuum pulls if I can finish a few more pieces.

Looks absolutely amazing dude. Only slightly peeved at how much you have done in a day compared to me in about 5 weeks. You planning on making the full suit or just bits and pieces? Personally I think it would look totally baller if we were both next to each other in completed suits. I might be asking you about some stuff later on :cool

Looks really good, really curious about the vine detail and how that will work. I've been trying to make the severed finger prop for awhile now.

I've decided to do away with plastic and go for the real deal in steel. I have very little experience in metal working but I feel like I'm a fast learner so I'm gonna check it out. I'm going to attempt the process explained in the gauntlet files I got from Amish trooper ( thank you very much by the way ) I spent today reworking my gauntlet templates to compensate for the four creases in the metal and just refining the shape in general. I haven't taken any new pictures because they're still just pieces of paper and thats not exciting enough for a new photo shoot. but I also free handed an Ivy pattern on a scrap piece of steel with acrylic paint to see how well it held up as a resist for etching and this is what I ended up with

I'm gonna try a couple more resist's to see what I like better and leave it in the acid longer to get a deeper etch but all in all I think I'm heading in the right direction

I had a little free time today so knocked a few things off my check list and added a few more. I found what i believe to be the best way for me to etch the pattern onto the steel. this is a practice piece I did today took about 2 minutes to etch the small pattern and lines and it was so easy i couldn't believe it.

I built my own bending brake today out of randomness i had laying around in my garage so i could make the flutes in the armor I'm not sure its gonna cut it but this is what I'm working with so far

I'm gonna play around with it alittle more and try to get a sharper peak. Im gonna try scoring the bottom just a little to see if that helps.
I also started playing around with shaping the metal and it was even easier than I thought it was gonna be.

once I get the fluting figured out its on! I'm excited to finally start building something.

Last edited:
Its been fun learning how to work with the metal ( and frustrating )
I hammered this out today. I used my vise, a chisel, a 2x4, and a ball pein hammer.

I want to build every piece to about this standard before I really dig in and rework and do the final shaping. So far I'm ...ok... with how it looks but I'm hoping I can really pull it together at the end. Its my first time working with metal like this so I'll try not to get my hopes up.

I plan on getting at least this far tomorrow

The girlfriends out of town for the next couple of days so hopefully I can finish at least one gauntlet without her constantly distracting me:devil

Great progress so far - what etching method did you choose? salt and electrode? I'm also curious on how you'll do the knuckle covers, as I've been trying to figure out a way for awhile now.

Great progress so far - what etching method did you choose? salt and electrode? I'm also curious on how you'll do the knuckle covers, as I've been trying to figure out a way for awhile now.
yeah thats what i went with. I bought a ferric chloride solution from radio shack but I couldn't find a resist that help up good enough and long enough to etch as deep as I wanted. Every video i watched said permanent maker would do the trick but that failed every time. Acrylic paint worked for shallow etching. The only paint i found that work well was acrylic enamel but the problem with that is I couldn't find a stencil I liked and I failed at making one I liked. The salt and electrode was easy I already had everything and it allowed me to do small areas at a time and it etches pretty deep while keep pretty crisp lines.
As far as the knuckle covers I'm gonna try to raise the metal with my ball pein hammer and just shape the metal that way if that doesn't work I'm thinking I'll try and make a jig for my vise to just press the shape. the jig is a long shot but I don't really know what I'm doing so I'll try anything right now

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back