Sauron Costume

bschossler

Okay I have worked on this idea for a long time now and I just can not find a way to get my hands on a Sauron costume. I dont even know where to begin with building one. Any suggestions as to buying one or building one ?

You gotta use stilts and mess with boffers after you get the costume solid.

Also, ask Hamsterstyle about his Witchking costume that he did with styrene. Another approach.

Cheers!

What Siyoum Said,

I would go thin styrene, some Sintra/PVC FOam and Rivets. Cheap materials, apartment friendly, and mostly non-toxic (just don't melt anything). Use a heat gun to heat the plastic and hand mold it into the shapes you need. I did mine in my living room.

Although a Sauron Costume is far more complicated than a Witch King. Just start small.

LOR_Sauron_Gauntlet.jpg

Make the Gauntlet. Thats where i started with the Witch King.

Look up Mideval armor tutorials and armor strapping as well. It's one thing to make the armor another to find a way to wear it. Which honestly can be a challenge.

You might want to talk to ExtremeCostumes about making the suit really huge. There was also a guy around here building a giant Incredible Hulk suit.

Drywall stilts are the way to go. The shortest you can get is 14". They are light-weight and have a spring mechanism that allows the ankle to bend forwards and backwards, making it easier to walk. Lubricate them with a silicone-based lubricant like liquid wrench. Do not ever use WD-40 as it eats into the metal. They have a maximum weight limit of 225 lbs. Dura-Stilt and Skywalker stilts are popular brands.

There is a Bossk costumer in my garrison who wears the mask on top of his own head, and has built up the shoulders to make it look right. Some Wookiee costumers have built arm extensions (static and mechanical) so you might consider using those along with the stilts.

You might also consider building the belt/waist area higher or lower than your own waist in order to make the proportions look right.

Last edited:
What Siyoum Said,

I would go thin styrene, some Sintra/PVC FOam and Rivets. Cheap materials, apartment friendly, and mostly non-toxic (just don't melt anything). Use a heat gun to heat the plastic and hand mold it into the shapes you need. I did mine in my living room.

Although a Sauron Costume is far more complicated than a Witch King. Just start small.

LOR_Sauron_Gauntlet.jpg

Make the Gauntlet. Thats where i started with the Witch King.

Look up Mideval armor tutorials and armor strapping as well. It's one thing to make the armor another to find a way to wear it. Which honestly can be a challenge.

Ermm.....looking at that how does Sauron get the ring on?

I would love to make a suit to fit me but out of stainless steel, but I know that my armouring and engraving skills are nowhere near that good.

I can only think of one armourer still alive who could pull off a suit like that and last thing I heard he had damaged his arm and was not armouring anymore.

Plastic or glassfibre just wouldn't do it for me.

Craig

It sized itself larger when he wore it over the armor, I'm pretty sure it could make itself big enough to fit over the knuckle pieces (gadlings.)

Doing it in metal is certainly possible, but would be a real challenge. (Unless you're someone like Kropserkel or a few others.) I'd strongly consider some other, easier material, at least to begin with.

20060422-Elf_Fantasy_Fair-Sauron-2.jpg

Hmm. As long as I have the time I would be more than happy to start it up from scratch and see what I can do. I was told of a site where they build you armor to your standards. Idk if it really is real. Other than that idk where I would get the metal to build it. I know you can buy a wearable helmet on ebay and I think it is made of metal. I really wanna make a mace regardless of if I make the full thing or not. Shouldnt be to hard. I like the idea Hamsterstyle, got any ideas on the mace? and GotWookiee I thought of making it bigger but I ended up decideing to just make it my size. And yeah abaddon1974 I have the same problem....bad metal skills

The One Ring had the power to change size in order to fit it's wearer. It happened in The Fellowship of the Rng I think.

Correct, it has a mind of its own. lol its also how it gets away from gollum makes its self bigger to slip away. You see it change size after Saurons finged gets cut off Also

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Hey, I made a quick Sauron costume for a student fancy dress party. Its only made of cardboard (poor student) and I didn't have time to go all the way with the rest of the armour. But I love the design so wanted to have a go. When it came to building it its a fairly simple shape so I made it in about two evenings. I give it to my little brother so its not in much shape anymore but I thought I'd share to show what you can do on the cheap - if you have more time than I did I'm sure you could do a much better job!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back