Limited Run Saberz.com Project O1 and Project Q (Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon TPM)

My theory is it was used as machined for a while. Then either because it was in need of TLC or just because they needed a close up shot, it was polished. Then, again over time it was worn dull again.
Totally valid theory. My guess is a little different; I think it's had a relatively consistent finish over time, and that one shot just looks shinier than the stills. The stills are generally taken with large softboxes that create smoother, flatter lighting. The shot from the movie is with some higher point-source lights that create harder shadows and stronger highlights. Then it gets processed, color-timed, etc, and it ends up looking shiny.

One more update - all hilts are now IN STOCK and shipping. The much-debated O1, and the Q, and the M, and the RH, and the EF. All are going out for quick shipment if ordered as of this post.

I would really like to see a close up, high res photo of the screen used hero props. I know you can't share the photos you have, but is there any chance you can crop one of those photos to show just the sanded area? I'd like to get an idea of what the finish actually is before I make a decision?

I wish I could share such a thing, but I cannot share that kind of data publicly (or even privately).

I can tell you that this finish is consistent with the filming prop. There are a number of other features no other Obi saber has ever properly replicated that are present on this hilt, and to the extent I could demonstrate that with photos next to the stunt saber, I have done so. Unfortunately, I cannot share hi-res photos of the hero prop. All I can give you is my word that this saber does represent the closest thing I can offer in terms of accuracy to the original prop.

So if you want to take me at my word, I'd say order it with the finish as it currently is. If you just want something shiny, I can do that for you too. It just wouldn't be accurate. I can tell you that the one in my personal case, Serial Number 001, has the same finish as what everyone else in this thread has posted. Nick Cline's images accentuate the sanding step more than you would see it in person under normal lighting, but the general idea is correct.

Extract from the picture I posted earlier with the finish pointed out.

F32D07DF-FE32-4FD5-9AD5-5C96CBB74C07.jpeg

For context, I think Dewy is trying to demonstrate that the finish on O1 is indeed representative of the original prop. Dewy please correct me if I’m wrong.

Ok, here's a high-res 4k video specifically about the finish. I didn't set up any special lighting, just went straight to the table and shot. There are a couple can lights above me, and a little light coming in from the window outside. I'm trying to be as transparent as possible here and show you guys what you're going to receive. I think Nick Cline's pictures were designed to specifically accentuate the sanding marks, which is fine, that's what he was trying to do. But I don't think it's quite accurate to what you see in person. Regardless, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'll do whatever you guys want to make you happy. Cheers!

EDIT: Now with working audio!

Last edited:
3612cf8e-f952-487b-9de7-e2ecdd1807ae-jpeg.jpg

Again, I think this is dependent on lighting. See this image you also posted? That's a more typical view in my opinion. In the video above, I have a hard time replicating the way you accentuate the sanding. I think it takes very specific lighting to do so.

View attachment 1638752

Again, I think this is dependent on lighting. See this image you also posted? That's a more typical view in my opinion. In the video above, I have a hard time replicating the way you accentuate the sanding. I think it takes very specific lighting to do so.

There was no special lighting. This was done on my apartment porch under an awning in natural, overcast sunlight in the freezing cold in a few minutes - point and shoot.

This shot you shared from my previous is more favorable because I tried to focus on the machining mark, which smoothed out the rest of the hilt. My most recent post is an accurate representation of the finish in hand.

There was no special lighting. This was done on my apartment porch under an awning in natural, overcast sunlight in the freezing cold in a few minutes - point and shoot.

This shot you shared from my previous is more favorable because I tried to focus on the machining mark, which smoothed out the rest of the hilt. My most recent post is an accurate representation of the finish in hand.
That would be unlike what I've seen on other hilts. See video above, which is representative of everything I've laid eyes on personally. Maybe you received something that was an outlier, and not representative of the rest of production. I don't know. I would have loved to help resolve this without creating a lot of public confusion, but it's certainly your choice to only speak publicly.

If we opt for a replacement, will we receive a hilt that hasn’t be sanded previously, or will our original hilts be polished and then sent back out?

Hi Nick, I am asking the factory to rush me some polished pieces. I'm not sure if they have completed sanding on all of the outstanding pieces, so if so, they may need to re-polish them. That wouldn't be much different from what they do anyway; these parts receive several different machining treatments, so they come off the machines needing a round of sanding before their first polishing anyway.

So you would be receiving a different unit, although regardless, every unit goes through some kind of process of sanding and polishing. Whether it was 1 or 2 rounds of sanding and polishing, it will have the same accurate dimensions. I hope that is helpful. Again, I encourage you to talk to us directly via email.

Another video about surface finish -- I think this is even more helpful and better "illuminates" the issue.

Mine both arrived today and couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• D8E8414F-EC7E-4CC2-A9D4-3663F699B6A0.jpeg
    D8E8414F-EC7E-4CC2-A9D4-3663F699B6A0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
  • 03BAB2A3-32C7-4462-BD11-1915AF8C4CC7.jpeg
    03BAB2A3-32C7-4462-BD11-1915AF8C4CC7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 155
The finish on the O matches the reference photos to me perfectly. Thank you so much for offering these definitive versions. I really look forward to seeing what you have in store for the future. Thanks again!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back