Limited Run Saberz.com Project O1 and Project Q (Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon TPM)

Saw the new pages on the site - these hilts look incredible! Have the emails gone out for the folks who have gotten the Project M yet? - want to make sure mine didn't get lost in a spam filter somewhere.

And these are both compatible with Nova Carbon?
So, just to be clear, Nova Carbon works on ANY SABER which accepts either 1-inch or 7/8-inch blades. So yes, Nova Carbon will work on all of them.

Now, the Project EF and Project RH sabers are special in that #1 they use the longer pushrod, and #2 Nova Carbon actually acts as the assembly mechanism! So instead of using an adapter in a blade holder, the pushrod itself replaces the M10 assembly screw that otherwise keeps the hilt together. So you could say that EF and RH are "made for" the Nova Carbon, while everything else is merely "compatible with" it.

Hopefully that all made sense.

Saw the new pages on the site - these hilts look incredible! Have the emails gone out for the folks who have gotten the Project M yet? - want to make sure mine didn't get lost in a spam filter somewhere.
Not sure they had gone out by the time you posted this. But NOW they have gone out. If you didn't receive it, just PM me here and I'll get you sorted out.

Thanks everyone!

Just ordered my EF and RH. Thanks for doing the bundles with the blades. Definitely would have had to choose only one without that. Now I get to do both!

Happy to help! We definitely want everyone to experience what the combo is like together. It's unlike your usual saber dueling. They just want to spin and are so fun!

Thanks Nick!

Well I should hope it's better. I did the 3D design work that became the Orbital Machining. I think Erik made some changes after the initial run, but it was still essentially based on my original data as far as I know. Anyway, yes Project O1 is better (and more accurate) in almost every way. Plus it's so much more electronics-friendly. The chassis will be pure plug-and-play!

Thanks Nick!

Well I should hope it's better. I did the 3D design work that became the Orbital Machining. I think Erik made some changes after the initial run, but it was still essentially based on my original data as far as I know. Anyway, yes Project O1 is better (and more accurate) in almost every way. Plus it's so much more electronics-friendly. The chassis will be pure plug-and-play!

That’s good to hear. I knew that you helped him with his original run, which is great. I am curious to see how this run compares machining wise to Erik/Orbital/Acerocket’s. Many regard him as the best machinist in the saber making community. The pieces I’ve owned from him have been nothing short of impeccable.

I am curious to see how this run compares machining wise
I can say unequivocally that the factory I work with produces the best and most consistent product I have ever seen. I've been with them for over a decade and used them on a wide variety of projects. That's why I'm not shy about posting CLOSEUP images of absolutely every product I make. No matter what you want to see, it's going to be gorgeous. Here's just one example. And note this is a combination of anodized T6 aluminum, real bass for the knob, stainless steel for the LED bezels and endcap, and translucent plastic bonded into the LEDs. No editing to this image other than removing the background and a couple specks of dust (EDIT: and note, this is exactly how it came to me from the factory. I didn't do any finishing work on these pieces).

000_Store_762.jpg

And it's not merely showing you that all the machining is clean as a whistle. It's also dead-on accurate to my 3D input. Consider, for example, the red button. We weren't satisfied until the machined part matched my 3D data exactly. Not "well this knurling tool is pretty close" ... instead, it was a very expensive journey of creating our own knurl tool ... FOUR TIMES ... until we had the perfect outcome. And Dewy was kind enough to show us what it looked like against his real blanking cap:

B52F6E3B-03DA-4698-8234-410B68CB9DCA.jpeg

Or look at the closeup of the delicate 4th-axis cut at the bottom of the grips on O1. For many machine shops, that kind of thing is just beyond their skill or capabilities. But my shop didn't even send me a note about it. They just executed it perfectly as per the 3D data:

000_Store_781.jpg

Of course, I encourage anyone else to chime in based on other products they already own from Saberz. But the tl;dr is that the machining quality here will be absolutely first-rate. I'd put this up against absolutely anything else out there. Compare us to anyone; you'll be happy :)

I can say unequivocally that the factory I work with produces the best and most consistent product I have ever seen. I've been with them for over a decade and used them on a wide variety of projects. That's why I'm not shy about posting CLOSEUP images of absolutely every product I make. No matter what you want to see, it's going to be gorgeous. Here's just one example. And note this is a combination of anodized T6 aluminum, real bass for the knob, stainless steel for the LED bezels and endcap, and translucent plastic bonded into the LEDs. No editing to this image other than removing the background and a couple specks of dust (EDIT: and note, this is exactly how it came to me from the factory. I didn't do any finishing work on these pieces).

View attachment 1618654

And it's not merely showing you that all the machining is clean as a whistle. It's also dead-on accurate to my 3D input. Consider, for example, the red button. We weren't satisfied until the machined part matched my 3D data exactly. Not "well this knurling tool is pretty close" ... instead, it was a very expensive journey of creating our own knurl tool ... FOUR TIMES ... until we had the perfect outcome. And Dewy was kind enough to show us what it looked like against his real blanking cap:

View attachment 1618652

Or look at the closeup of the delicate 4th-axis cut at the bottom of the grips on O1. For many machine shops, that kind of thing is just beyond their skill or capabilities. But my shop didn't even send me a note about it. They just executed it perfectly as per the 3D data:

View attachment 1618653

Of course, I encourage anyone else to chime in based on other products they already own from Saberz. But the tl;dr is that the machining quality here will be absolutely first-rate. I'd put this up against absolutely anything else out there. Compare us to anyone; you'll be happy :)

Thank you for the detailed response! November can’t come soon enough. It looks phenomenal.

Another question, aside from the cast stunt, were there any other references used? I know castings sometime can distort some details, cause issues with scaling, amongst other things that can cause it to not be 100% with the Hero they’re molded from. Just curious if this was considered during R&D?

Yes, I used a lot of different references. The primary reference was, of course, the screen-used prop. But I do have a small library of private images from various sources that were very helpful for development. I don't have the Lucasfilm prop archive images, like I believe some other makers claim to have, but in general I haven't seen anything that is cause for worry. O1 is deadly accurate, without question ;-)

Based on how quick the pre-orders are coming in, do you expect them all to go by November? Payday is the 15th of the month for me and have no disposable income this monthcan’t miss out on this, man they are beautiful

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back