Rusty Pulse Rifle

dmpsk8

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thought I'd share a quick project and some inspiration.

Last year, I picked up an old, very rough pulse rifle b-cast. It was cheap, so I figured it would be a decent restoration project. Sadly it looked even worse in person than I was expecting. And, it was also broken in half during shipping, haha.

So, it sat on my shelf of unfinished projects collecting dust. Over the weekend I decided to see what could be made of this piece of ****. Below are the results. Since the cast was so rough, I decided to go for a rusty/abandoned look. The whole project was about trying to make something out of scrap, without investing any more cash.

The power-loader themed stand is made from a thick cardboard tube and some wood. The cardboard cylinder was sealed with glue before paint, so its pretty tough now. Inside there is a foam core, with a fabric pad for the rifle. The counter is made from scrap plexi bits and a simple decal. Barrel is steel, I borrowed a burnt tip look for interest.

This thing went from a waste of cash, to something pretty unique.

Hopefully it inspires some else to finish a project they have given up on. Don't let your need for perfection stop you!

49329408181_5524f712a1_k.jpg
1-Rusty_Pulse_Rifle by K D, on Flickr

49328939183_79d607b311_k.jpg
5-Rusty_Pulse_Rifle by K D, on Flickr

49328939278_0d465ff8cd_k.jpg
4-Rusty_Pulse_Rifle by K D, on Flickr

49329408371_4e2b70e3f4_k.jpg
3-Rusty_Pulse_Rifle by K D, on Flickr

49329632162_58d6f38d6c_k.jpg
2-Rusty_Pulse_Rifle by K D, on Flickr

Attachments

• 49329408371_4e2b70e3f4_k.jpg
    49329408371_4e2b70e3f4_k.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
looks awesome! and at least this was probably really good practice for your painting skills (y)

looks awesome! and at least this was probably really good practice for your painting skills (y)

Totally. Gave me a chance to experiment with some tidy plastic welding to make that counter. The decal is sandwiched between to pieces of plexi, then the corners were tacked (soldering iron “welded”) together.

While you did a great job at making convincing rust I feel that you went a little overboard with the rust. I don't know how the actual prop pulse rifles were constructed or how they were supposed to be in universe but I've always thought that the green parts were plastic/polymer and thus wouldn't rust. Aside from that nitpick, good job.

While you did a great job at making convincing rust I feel that you went a little overboard with the rust. I don't know how the actual prop pulse rifles were constructed or how they were supposed to be in universe but I've always thought that the green parts were plastic/polymer and thus wouldn't rust. Aside from that nitpick, good job.

Thanks for the input. I think if you reread my initial post, the approach will make more sense. The point was over weathering to make use of a really rough cast, Which otherwise would’ve ended up in the dumpster.

Thanks for the input. I think if you reread my initial post, the approach will make more sense. The point was over weathering to make use of a really rough cast, Which otherwise would’ve ended up in the dumpster.

I know that it was a really rough cast, but it still doesn't make sense to have what (I believe) to be plastic parts rusting. But as I said previously, you did do a very good job on the rust.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back