Ruby Slippers: Does this make me..."odd"?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Funky, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My collection has finally reached a point to where I'm happy with it. I have all the iconic pieces on my "list" except for one...Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers. I've always been especially proud of the fact that I've mostly collected items that people know upon first sight and I always knew this day would come to where I'd have to get the slippers. But imagine the odd looks I get from my guy friends when I mention this. :lol So, I ask you, should I get a pair to go with my iconic collection, or just pass on this one for fear of constant ridicule?
    Oh, where does one start if one chooses to break down and buy a pair?
    Opinions?

2. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I watched the movie just last night. Nothing wrong with wanting a pair for display. If you want a pair of men's 12E ruby slippers, I don't want to hear about it.

3. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

As far as the general public is concerned, we collect toys. Constant ridicule is a given at this point. Thanks to "The 40 yr. old virgin", they think we're all like that anyway. Might as well finish your collection and do what makes you happy.

-Fred

4. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

when you decide to wear them, you had better post pics :lol

5. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Funky. So glad you had the courage to come out. Now I too feel compelled to admit I've visited the eBay search engine and entered the words "Ruby slippers" on more than a few occassions. Uh, for display only. :)

6. Funky

Hey, kids, I don't mind being odd, I just don't want to be odd alone. :lol

7. blufive

blufive Sr Member

It takes a big man to admit to the world on a message board that he is gay. Kudos for being secure enough with your sexuality to be able to share with the rest of us.

We're behind you 100%.

;)

8. p0sitr0nic

p0sitr0nic Well-Known Member

Youre not odd... just a little... Oz...

9. Force Commander

Force Commander Well-Known Member

I am surprised that someone who uses Pee Wee Herman as their icon is concerned about this.

10. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I for one applaud you for coming out about the slippers. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." :sleep

Hey you could always say you collect props from E.L.O. album covers. :D

[​IMG]

- k

11. hansicle

hansicle Sr Member

I always wanted a copy of the Tin Man's heart watch... I actually got my mom a set of ruby slippers. Now if it were a saphire vibrator... that's a horse of a different color :p

12. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Owning ruby slippers isn't odd...owning them in a thirteen double 'E' is...

Moving on, try this place:

http://users.deltacomm.com/rainbowz/rubysl...ngslippers.html

13. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

How could you have over 6000 post on the RPF and think that you could "be odd alone"? :lol

Just get the slippers. :thumbsup I just do not want to hear the matching tube top you buy to go with them. :thumbsdown

14. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's a slippery slope tho... soon you'll need the Master Replicas Cinderella Glass Slipper to go with it. :sleep

[​IMG]

- k

15. MASTERJEDICAST

MASTERJEDICAST New Member

Armando,

They have a pair on display at Disney MGM.If you can find the rite shoe it's only red sequins that are on them.

Frank

16. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I used to date a woman that was as big a geek about the Wizard of Oz as I am about Star Wars. She dresses up as Dorothy every Halloween, and has lots of WOZ posters, toys, etc. around her house.

17. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

yes. yes it does. and you are a naughty man.

but, other than maybe the maltese falcon (still have not seen that damned movie either) ruby slippers are probably the most iconic of any movie prop in the last 80 years.

some people might recognize the robot from metropolis. some people might recognize the maltese falcon. more people may recognize a lightsaber. i think everyone, at some point in thier life, has seen this movie and would recognize a set of em and where they came from. they show this movie on tv at least 24 hours a day once a year. you cant freaking escape it.

just... remember to shave your legs if you wanna wear them :lol

go forth and feel pretty.
    chris

18. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

19. Hermes

Hermes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That´s funny - You are concerned about being odd alone wanting it. I was contemplating the idea of MAKING them. And I could pull this off pretty easily too.

LMK if you really want them.

Hermes.:)

20. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Dude just collect for yourself not people.
    Whatever makes you happy..go for it

21. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Funky one, I think you answered your own question right there. :)

The Ruby Slippers are one of the greatest icons and most meaningful symbols in film history. If you want them, and if you feel your collection will never be "complete" without them, then I'd say you definitely should get them.

I don't have any personal experience with this company, but "Custom Sparkles" offers what looks like a very nice pair:

Custom Sparkles

Be sure to post some shots on the board when you get your Slippers. And remember: There's no place like home. :p

{EDIT} Spelling. :$

22. The Death Curse

The Death Curse Well-Known Member

Don't feel alone, brother.

At age 3, The Wizard of Oz was one of the first movies I ever saw and loved...It's continued to remain one of my favorites of all time since then....I've always dreamt of seeing (touching, even) the slippers in person or even having a pair of my own to put on display somewhere. Sadly, $660,000 is a bit beyond my realm of spending. :eek:

Hell, I've wanted the slippers since I was around 3 years old.. That, or at least a pair of cool replicas. Sadly, I hear even most good replicas cost nearly staggering amounts of money...Then again, I could have passed up a few in my search.

The only thing I want more than the slippers themselves is the WITCH'S HOURGLASS. I once found a website that made full-size replicas of those things, but I have since lost it. I believe they were somewhere around the range of $800 or $900 for the 1:1 scale...*gulp*...

If there's one thing I've learned from getting into Wizard of Oz props/replicas, it's that they DON'T come cheap..

Ryan

23. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

These used to be availabe at Ebay back in the late 90s. They used to go for over one grand. Then, Wb started policing props and these became scarce in open auction.

I say, get them, but also get other WOZ stuff to go with it. If it makes feel odd to own a pair of rubby slippers, get also something that belongs to the lion, the tinman and the scarecrow; thefore, you get to have a WOZ display, rather than just a pair of girly rubby slippers that stick-out like a sored thumb. I'm working on the medal of courage myself.

I have pics of a screen-used pair that are on display at the Smithsonian in DC. I will see if I can dig them out.

24. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's mine.

Got them years ago from an artist who's considered the absolute best in the field. Everything from the orange felt on the soles (to quiet them on the set) to the white kid glove leather and correct Innes Shoe Company, label in the right instep has been replicated. They were also made on a size 5 1/2 1930 Dance shoe identical to the Innes. (Judy wore a 5 1/2)

Even Liza has a pair. His work is also on display at the National Academy Of Music.

They run about 500.00 a pair and there is a wait.

By the way: I struggled with wanting them, too. All macho bullsh*t aside, they are among my favorite props. They're the first thing guests (non-proppers) seem to identify with...I agree the slippers are one of the most iconic props ever made.

Even a caveman would recognize them.

25. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

About every 18 months or so we have an open discussion here on the RPF about the most iconic or valuable props of all time.

The top five invariably contains:
    --The Maltese Falcon
    --Rosebud

And...

--Dorothy's ruby slippers.

Also bear in mind they are one of the few fim props the Smithsonian Institution opted to display.

26. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

What size is Judy's? I've also thought of using Townsend (I posted the exact same link above), but want to get the shoes in her size (as I don't plan on going to a West Hollywood Christmas party anytime soon).

27. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Judy wore a 5 1/2 Innes dance shoe. The originals were made in 1938 by Gilbert Adrian after Victor Fleming took over as Director.

Rylo

28. Funky

Thank you guys for all of the support. I'm already researching my options and I think I'll have a pair ordered by the weekend. I even have a pretty neat idea for the display which I'll post some pics in about a week and a half when the whole thing is ready.

29. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Cool. Do share.

Get a Fonzie jacket, and Wested Indy jacket, and a beat up old phaser and you'll be right in there with the Smithsonian. ;)

Glad to hear you're going forward with it. :)

30. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Hey Funky,
    You should get them, complete your collection, the ruby slippers, and the maltese falcon are both super cool items. Those two are definitively on my list of ultimate props...

Kell

31. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Townsend makes them in Judy's size. The pair I have are Judy Garland sized (5.5). Rylo, your set also kind of looks like a Jack Townsend pair, like mine.

32. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

Post pics when you get 'em, Funky.
    It's always cool to see people get their iconic pieces.

33. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

Did you know Target carries ruby slippers? I joke with my wife when she's looking for some sandals that she should a pair. :p

34. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

35. konar

konar Well-Known Member

Given the title of this thread, I thought I might bump it so that I can come clean with my own dirty secret...

[​IMG]

I SWEAR I've never touched it except to arrange it.

36. Beeb89

Beeb89 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ruby Slippers

Here's a pair I got for my daughter about three years back made by Jack T. The display and base were made by me. It has a plexi cover for it as well.
    [​IMG]
    (Thanks WC for hosting!)

Great prop! :)

-B89! :D

37. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

El Derado is one of my favorite albums.

As for collecting a replica pair...I'd go with the "or just pass on this one for fear of constant ridicule" option. People will start asking you if you were the one that won the auction for John Travolta's poly leasure suit next. LOL!

38. arwa

arwa Well-Known Member

Hey, when I was in working D.C. I was at the Smithsonian the last day it was going to be open for several years. I happen to take a picture of Dorthy's "kicks"...in fact it is right above me in a basket.

Up close I was a little disappointed with them.

If it is good enough for the Smithsonian, then it is good enough for you to display.

At least that is my take on it. Then again, people think I am weird...

-arwa

39. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Wow, being influential is very flattering.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  40. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

See this thread ;)
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=23949

Actually I always wanted those too. They're kind of an iconic prop that doesn't need much explaining and you will never get asked..."do they actually work?"

41. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I couldn't agree more with this. My security in my own likes & dislikes and my ability to openly share my hobbies drew riducule, but also respect that the same guys who heckled me about it would engage in deep conversation about it. The fact that I never swayed in my passion for my prop hobby gained respect.

I say go for whatever makes you happy and never back down....they'll come to have fun conversations about the Wizard of Oz movie and surprise you in time. Who DOESN'T like that movie.

Steve:thumbsup