Ruby Slippers: Does this make me..."odd"?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My collection has finally reached a point to where I'm happy with it. I have all the iconic pieces on my "list" except for one...Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers. I've always been especially proud of the fact that I've mostly collected items that people know upon first sight and I always knew this day would come to where I'd have to get the slippers. But imagine the odd looks I get from my guy friends when I mention this. :lol So, I ask you, should I get a pair to go with my iconic collection, or just pass on this one for fear of constant ridicule?
Oh, where does one start if one chooses to break down and buy a pair?
Opinions?

I watched the movie just last night. Nothing wrong with wanting a pair for display. If you want a pair of men's 12E ruby slippers, I don't want to hear about it.

As far as the general public is concerned, we collect toys. Constant ridicule is a given at this point. Thanks to "The 40 yr. old virgin", they think we're all like that anyway. Might as well finish your collection and do what makes you happy.

-Fred

Funky. So glad you had the courage to come out. Now I too feel compelled to admit I've visited the eBay search engine and entered the words "Ruby slippers" on more than a few occassions. Uh, for display only. :)

It takes a big man to admit to the world on a message board that he is gay. Kudos for being secure enough with your sexuality to be able to share with the rest of us.

We're behind you 100%.

;)

I for one applaud you for coming out about the slippers. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." :sleep

Hey you could always say you collect props from E.L.O. album covers. :D

B0000025DP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

- k

I always wanted a copy of the Tin Man's heart watch... I actually got my mom a set of ruby slippers. Now if it were a saphire vibrator... that's a horse of a different color :p

Originally posted by Funky Jedi@Apr 17 2006, 07:19 PM
My collection has finally reached a point to where I'm happy with it.  I have all the iconic pieces on my "list" except for one...Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers.  I've always been especially proud of the fact that I've mostly collected items that people know upon first sight and I always knew this day would come to where I'd have to get the slippers.  But imagine the odd looks I get from my guy friends when I mention this.  :lol  So, I ask you, should I get a pair to go with my iconic collection, or just pass on this one for fear of constant ridicule?
Oh, where does one start if one chooses to break down and buy a pair?
Opinions?
[snapback]1228124[/snapback]​

Owning ruby slippers isn't odd...owning them in a thirteen double 'E' is...

Moving on, try this place:

http://users.deltacomm.com/rainbowz/rubysl...ngslippers.html

Originally posted by Funky Jedi@Apr 17 2006, 09:38 PM
Hey, kids, I don't mind being odd, I just don't want to be odd alone.  :lol
[snapback]1228143[/snapback]​

How could you have over 6000 post on the RPF and think that you could "be odd alone"? :lol

Just get the slippers. :thumbsup I just do not want to hear the matching tube top you buy to go with them. :thumbsdown

It's a slippery slope tho... soon you'll need the Master Replicas Cinderella Glass Slipper to go with it. :sleep

B0007LPBOC.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

- k

I used to date a woman that was as big a geek about the Wizard of Oz as I am about Star Wars. She dresses up as Dorothy every Halloween, and has lots of WOZ posters, toys, etc. around her house.

yes. yes it does. and you are a naughty man.

but, other than maybe the maltese falcon (still have not seen that damned movie either) ruby slippers are probably the most iconic of any movie prop in the last 80 years.

some people might recognize the robot from metropolis. some people might recognize the maltese falcon. more people may recognize a lightsaber. i think everyone, at some point in thier life, has seen this movie and would recognize a set of em and where they came from. they show this movie on tv at least 24 hours a day once a year. you cant freaking escape it.

just... remember to shave your legs if you wanna wear them :lol

go forth and feel pretty.
chris

That´s funny - You are concerned about being odd alone wanting it. I was contemplating the idea of MAKING them. And I could pull this off pretty easily too.

LMK if you really want them.

Hermes.:)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back