Rubies Stormtrooper Blaster (catalog #30557)

If this toy looks the same as the picture and is within an inch or so of my real sterling I'll be tickled pink. Light weight doesn't bother me. Keeping my fingers crossed:)

Robert

I got 2 today from Amazon. No sound at all which was a huge bummer.

They are very close to my pipe built ANH E-11 just a smaller scale. I'll have to break out my ROTJ pipe built E-11 and see if it's closer.

I'll see if I can upload some photos.

As you can see, the Rubies is significantly shorter and smaller than the pipe built.

For trooping though, for a $16 blaster that you don't really care if a kid breaks, it'd be great I'd think. Just fill in a few screw holes, put in a metal scope rail with some space under it, maybe add the "range finder" on top of the magazine, paint it and enjoy the light weight.

I wish it made noise though. Maybe I'll steal the blasting sounds from my old Hasbro E-11 and put it in this one.

Last edited:
Here's mine compared to my real sterling. It is exactly seventeen and one half inches long, exactly two inches shorter than my real sterling. Plastic is lighter weight than the hasbro version and the trigger doesn't move. Not a bad likeness, though.

I plan on filling the screw holes and slapping a coat of paint on it and see what happenes.

Robert

I think it's probably closer to what most fans percieve the size to be...

When I was a kid, I thought: large handgun.

The real sterlings are soo big in person.

I can only compare it to how most of us feel when we get to hold our first accurate trooper or Vader helmet.

It's just a shock at first.

Yet that is what we most all here love! Wonky awkward goodness!

Soo, yeah, disappointing, but a great trooping option!

I definitely understand what you mean, Oldken. My Rubies blaster just got here and to me it seemed more or less the right size, having never held an actual sterling before. I was surprised to see it that far off in the photos above. Still, not bad at all.

Either way, I'll paint it up and be pleased to see it on the shelf. :)

(I don't know what happened with the camera distortion there, making it look bigger than the 18" ruler, but the blaster is 17.5" long, as posted above)

**EDIT** Never mind! However, what were they going for with that T-track? Looks like someone was spending too much time staring at Kenner blasters. It's a weird accessory - Rubies clearly paid some attention to a few of the more esoteric details, but then made some totally baffling choices on some others.

Last edited:
Not bad for the price! I ordered 3 the other day because with shipping to Canada, it made the most sense. I'll fill in the holes and paint 'em black. I think they'll be the perfect size for my son and little brother who are in the Galactic Academy and troop with me often. I've got a resin and a DoopyDoos Hasbro already, but I think these would also be great for trooping out of the country. If, for some reason, these got seized by Canada Customs due to our sometimes silly replica gun laws, it would not be a big financial hit. I would be devastated losing my resin blaster, knowing how many hours I put into tweaking all the little details. :)

**EDIT** Never mind! However, what were they going for with that T-track? Looks like someone was spending too much time staring at Kenner blasters. It's a weird accessory - Rubies clearly paid some attention to a few of the more esoteric details, but then made some totally baffling choices on some others.

I think they were more trying to emulate the look in the cartoon than a movie-accurate E-11:

makingstarwars.net_.png

To quote Luke Skywalker: "What a piece of junk!"

I'm kicking myself for having ordered it. I'll gladly sell it to anyone who's interested when it arrives. Pm me.

-Vince

I suppose you can call it junk for an ANH E-11. It's way closer than a hasbro ever was. Even after the extensive Doopy mods it's not perfect. And it certainly isn't $16.

This blaster is just about accurate to Rebels E-11's. Grind out the scope rail gap, file out the front sight and put in the sight, fill in some holes, and paint it black. Just about spot on Rebels E-11.

Reworking it to ANH is going to be way easier than a hasbro, and less expensive, but it'll never be the same size as a sterling.

I wasn't expecting the world, but for a cheap look a like, it'll do perfectly. As Adam Savage would say, it's not screen accurate but shares many of the same gestural aspects of the stormtrooper blaster.

I think it looks more accurate than the Hasbro stormtrooper blaster. I ordered one just for fun. The price is right.

That's the other key factor in a purchase like this. Price. For 14.69 shipped, why not? I've always wanted an E-11, but with my funds invested into so many other projects, I have to limit myself. This should be a quick, easy, and fun build too.

I think it looks ok even to a Sterling, ok not too accurate, but light enough, accurate enough with just minor issues. For trooping this could be one of the best choices, I wouldn't even dare to take my Sterling out of the house. With proper black paint on it and a set of cylinders this would be pretty ok for trooping or Halloween costumers

I hit a couple of costume shops in my area, and neither had it. The one that stays open year 'round said they couldn't order it during the Halloween season. The other shop, while it didn't have the blaster, DID have an Ezra Bridger saber (it was huge). Oh well.

I actually like the curved T-Track....kind of reminds me of the cheesy little blasters that came with the 70's kenner action figures. And if you look real close, the T-track on some of the screen used E-11's bow up a little in certain scenes.

Robert

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back