Rub 'n Buff and coatings

Jauke

I want to use Rub 'n Buff but I was wondering should I put it on before I use paint coating or after paint coating. (I'm not going to buy a special Rub' n Buff coating because I'm on a low budget)

Last edited:
You mean rub n' buff then paint over it? Just curious - why would you do that? What are you wanting to use rub n' buff for? Colouring in or highlighting?

I think that the rub and buff is like wax with color application, and when try to put some coat don't works well

You can use a fixative spray, its usually used for sealing pencil drawings and the like so they dont get smudged if you add more drawing afterwards. They tend to stick to anything but dont change the look of the piece (some clear coats change the metalic effect of items dramatically turning chome look to a dull grey). They are available in matt, satin and gloss to suit your needs.

It will get hard and wear resistant. I did chess figures in gold and bronze rub n buff and they are still perfect after 4 years playing.In any case you want a very thin layer to begin with and you can ad another layer if required.

Thanks I've never used the stuff personally, seen it used all the time. But sometimes it's good to ask the questions to share the knowledge

If you want to use a very inexpensive alternative to artist's fixative spray, you could try a hairspray, like Aquanet. I've used it many times on drawings and other projects.

I personally didn't use any sealer or fixative when I finished my Terminator endoskull with Rubb 'N Buff. I think it's finish is rather durable enough on it's own, and sealer might dull the finish.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back