Round2 Producing a 1/350 Star Trek TMP K'Tinga

With the Kronos One version, are there any physical differences to the ship? Or is it just the paint finish and the etched brass ornamentation?

For the production, it was the same model from TMP with a new paint job and some PE detailing.

The original model, when sold to a private collector, still had the Trek VI paint scheme.

Very sad, really, that the original TMP paint job was destroyed due to the lack of a large budget for Trek VI.

Kronos One had a moderate amount of physical detail added/changed all over the ship (in addition to the photoetch). The warp engines were lengthened and lit. They also cut out portions of the front vents on the... wings? And added recessed detail similar to the rear.

Here's a nice collection of both versions; Klingon Battle Cruiser Miniature

Wow that is a 100% repaint... totally different coloring. I thought it had the added photo-etch and some red added... shows how the memory tricks you I guess. I'm pretty sure somebody will do the photoetch for the chancellor Gorkon version :). now I need 2 K'Tingas, and an in scale BoP :)

Jedi Dade

With the Kronos One version, are there any physical differences to the ship? Or is it just the paint finish and the etched brass ornamentation?
Yes, quite a few. The ST:VI engine nacelles are completely different. (I suspect they removed the originals and built new ones.) The rear portions of the engines were reused, but swapped port for starboard. The side mount covers were heavily altered, creating a "well" of greeblie detail on the inboard side. The area under the "shuttle bay" in the back was substantially revised. They carved a top mount into the ribbed panel on top of the main body at the very front. The bridge tower was completely reworked. All this was before any of the brass etched detail was added. Some of that, BTW, was leftover bits from Blade Runner. . .

Just my luck, I just picked up a 1/350 Enterprise refit, so the K'tinga's going on the back burner.... although that Paragrafix shuttle bay might just bring me back into the game... pretty stuff, pretty stuff

On the unlicensed kit, the boom is 19" long (not sure if the start and end points are exactly the same as the PL kit) and the the bridge deck is 4 7/8" across.

Must have meant 9"

On the PL kit it is 9" long. Also bridge deck on the PL kit is 5" across, and the main body is closer to 15"

Yes, quite a few. The ST:VI engine nacelles are completely different. (I suspect they removed the originals and built new ones.) The rear portions of the engines were reused, but swapped port for starboard. The side mount covers were heavily altered, creating a "well" of greeblie detail on the inboard side. The area under the "shuttle bay" in the back was substantially revised. They carved a top mount into the ribbed panel on top of the main body at the very front. The bridge tower was completely reworked. All this was before any of the brass etched detail was added. Some of that, BTW, was leftover bits from Blade Runner. . .

Oh wow... Didn't realize there were that many - and significant - mods...

Builds! I need to see some builds! Some people have had their kits for over week now. How am I suppose to steal ideas if people aren't showing us their builds! Let's go. Chop-chop! :p

For the production, it was the same model from TMP with a new paint job and some PE detailing.

The original model, when sold to a private collector, still had the Trek VI paint scheme.

Very sad, really, that the original TMP paint job was destroyed due to the lack of a large budget for Trek VI.

Kronos One had a moderate amount of physical detail added/changed all over the ship (in addition to the photoetch). The warp engines were lengthened and lit. They also cut out portions of the front vents on the... wings? And added recessed detail similar to the rear.

Here's a nice collection of both versions; Klingon Battle Cruiser Miniature

The model had been damaged prior to ST6, and since the repairs would require a repaint anyway it was decided to change it up with a new scheme and extra details.

Well, it seems two different things were said. First, he answered a question about a conversion kit. Later, he did state a "whole kit" would be made. As far as I am aware, however, (and I was involved), there was never any discussion at R2 about doing a complete kit of the ST:VI version. We only discussed it in the context of making certain parts on the ST:TMP version that could later be exchanged for different parts that could be used to create an ST:VI model.

Didn't R2 do basically the same thing with the Eagle kit: release the "standard" version first and then release a variant as another whole kit? I think some people were asking if they were going to offer a kit just of different pods to use with the standard kit and the response was they would not.

This is an amazing kit!

I am certainly hopeful for good sales on this. I have two so far that I bought online, and will probably get at least one more from a local hobby shop. I will look forward to whatever STVI version of the kit or conversion is released in the future. I imagine it will be somewhat pricey, considering the amount of photoetch that will be involved!

E

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back