Round2 Acquires Star Wars License

I am grateful there is no interior,though I understand why people want it. I like my ships in flight so for me,no ‘extra’ or hidden work. I will be buying and have held off on Revels as I want to support R2. They have done some amazing Trek and 1999 kits so I want more.

I for one don't care anything about the interior, but I get why others do. The awful plastic texture was a deal breaker on the Revell for me, so I hope this one is better.

Maybe I missed this. Why does it have the AMT logo? Is it so they don't actually have a large, noticeable "Round 2" logo? And when they got the Star Wars license, did they also get the AMT copyright?

Maybe I missed this. Why does it have the AMT logo? Is it so they don't actually have a large, noticeable "Round 2" logo? And when they got the Star Wars license, did they also get the AMT copyright?
They acquired the AMT name back in 2012, I think they're using it to brand their Star Wars kits because AMT used to do kits back in the day. If I remember correctly they do something similar with Polar Lights and their Star Trek license

MPC was started by a former AMT employee, and the two companies were on good terms, to the point early MPC kits were released in AMT boxes.

Ertl acquired AMT in 1981 and MPC in 1985. Ertl was then acquired by TOMY in the '90s. I am fuzzier on the relationship between TOMY and Round 2, but TOMY is the ultimate owner of rights.

Round 2 releases kits under the imprints of the companies that originally released the kits, in the case of repops, and the imprint that makes the most sense to them for new-milled. AMT and MPC were closely enough related, I can easily see them releasing new Star Wars kits under either.

Oh, right there with you. I always loved seeing that MPC logo on the box when I got a new Star Wars model.

That said... I'm not sure how licensing works with brands owned by a larger parent company. When the Star Wars Renaissance of the 1990s happened, both AMT and MPC were owned by TOMY. And the new kits that came out were AMT -- the 1:48 (ish) TIE Fighter, the "flight display" and Mirra-Kits, the Episode I kits... Were there any for Episode II on? I feel like FineMolds and Bandai have been back-filling those, but I don't remember anything domestic to the USA for the latter two Prequels.

I have the R2 RC on pre-order, but the more and more I work on my Revell kit, the more I keep asking myself if I really actually need it...

SB

Oh, right there with you. I always loved seeing that MPC logo on the box when I got a new Star Wars model.

That said... I'm not sure how licensing works with brands owned by a larger parent company. When the Star Wars Renaissance of the 1990s happened, both AMT and MPC were owned by TOMY. And the new kits that came out were AMT -- the 1:48 (ish) TIE Fighter, the "flight display" and Mirra-Kits, the Episode I kits... Were there any for Episode II on? I feel like FineMolds and Bandai have been back-filling those, but I don't remember anything domestic to the USA for the latter two Prequels.

The Episode 1 kits were the last hurrah at the time for AMT

They were actually pretty cool kits as well. The Trade Federation tank and the Bongo sub being my favorite

Plus they seemed to stick to standard scales. The N-1 and Vulture Droids were 1/48, the tank 1/32 and the Bongo Sub 1/72 (although it was incorrectly labelled as 1/48 I believe)

I think Revell took over the North American license after that as they did the Jedi Starfighters, Eta Starfighters, tri droid fighter, and Grievous Starfighter and a lot of stuff from the Clone Wars series like the Republic Gunship etc...

I had gone to check after I posted. AMT released two kits for ROTS in '05 -- the Jedi Starfighter and the tracked amphibious droid thing from the Battle of Kashyyyk. Nothing for AOTC, though.

They were actually pretty cool kits as well. The Trade Federation tank and the Bongo sub being my favorite
I was hoping for more. Even if the scales were useless, after the Sith Infiltrator and Republic Diplomatic Transport, I'd hoped for the Queen's starship. Especially after the N-1. :(

Plus they seemed to stick to standard scales. The N-1 and Vulture Droids were 1/48, the tank 1/32 and the Bongo Sub 1/72 (although it was incorrectly labelled as 1/48 I believe)

I think Revell took over the North American license after that as they did the Jedi Starfighters, Eta Starfighters, tri droid fighter, and Grievous Starfighter and a lot of stuff from the Clone Wars series like the Republic Gunship etc...
I saw somebody build the 1/32 tank, and they did a phenomenal job. Here's the post:
So of course, I had to go and grab one on eBay. I'll get to it one day. Maybe.

SB

I saw somebody build the 1/32 tank, and they did a phenomenal job. Here's the post:

SB
Memories. Wow. That AMT kit was the last model I built before the long empty void of no modeling until I got back into things about 5 years ago. Of course this is a novice job but I do remember it was relatively easy to build. Back then I was not the nitpicker for perfect seams and details that I have learned to become today.

TFF Tank 1.jpgTFF Tank 3.jpgTFF Tank 2.jpg

I had gone to check after I posted. AMT released two kits for ROTS in '05 -- the Jedi Starfighter and the tracked amphibious droid thing from the Battle of Kashyyyk. Nothing for AOTC, though.

I was hoping for more. Even if the scales were useless, after the Sith Infiltrator and Republic Diplomatic Transport, I'd hoped for the Queen's starship. Especially after the N-1. :(

Ah yes, I forgot about those!

SB

If you do not mind slightly smaller ( like around 1/46th), there is the Star Wars Legion one. For a hobbyist, it is basically a styrene model kit that doubles as a gaming miniature, and it is quite accurate. Every bit as good as the AMT one, and in some ways better since it can be built with the hatch open or closed and has a droid with binoculars

Of course, I also built the old AMT kit and loved it. I would definitely pick another one up if they rereleased it. Wouldn't mind doing one up in the grey/blue colors from the Clone Wars

Memories. Wow. That AMT kit was the last model I built before the long empty void of no modeling until I got back into things about 5 years ago. Of course this is a novice job but I do remember it was relatively easy to build. Back then I was not the nitpicker for perfect seams and details that I have learned to become today.

View attachment 1555920View attachment 1555919View attachment 1555918
Excellent!

Attachments

• IMG_8188 (2).JPG
    IMG_8188 (2).JPG
    731 KB · Views: 78
I have that tank tucked away and never even started on it. I saw someone on a FB SW model group that was working on the STAP with Battledroid and he said something like "I'm working on this 22 year old kit." and I was like "No, it's not 22 years old..." and then I did the math. Wow.

View attachment 1555920View attachment 1555919View attachment 1555918
Novice build you say... I say you underrate yourself. a few more weathering passes on that bad boy and its a work of art :)

Jedi Dade

Small bit of good news is that Jamie Hood confirmed on FB that the Razor Crest plastic will be smooth without any texture. That's what kept me away from the Revell Razor Crest. It will be nice to see the Round 2 in person.

I saw it at that aisle Walmart display yesterday along with the B-wing, some Trek Kits, old crazy car kits and the '89 Batmobile. I had it in my hands but decided against it at $19.97 as I have 2 Bandai 1/72s and the electronic Bandai 1/48 yet to build to sit alongside the 1/32 Revell one I have finished. If I did not have such a large stack of kits collecting dust - I might have picked it up just for fun and a bizarre paint scheme.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back