ROTS Vader Mask Interior

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darthmagpie, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Darthmagpie

Darthmagpie Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I think it would be great if we could identify all or as many of these parts as we can. I know a couple things have been identified and quite a few things seem to come from hard drives but I put this together to try to organize it. Please offer the info that you have and I will plug it in.

MY MOTIVATION: Who else has a vader mask around that they are not going to do anything with? Either it is a bad sculpt or you have a cheep store version. wouldn't it be great to display the inside of the mask and throw the face aginst the wall! What a concept :confused . you could have a switch where, when you turn it on the eyes are back lit and you get that capaciter charging sound and that first breath.

[​IMG]
    Thanks Wackychimp

For the lower mask, this thread has been started:
    http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...opic=109164&hl=
    Lets get all our eyes on both!!!!!!

Additional and higher res pics here:
    http://tk7602.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=119&page=5
    Thanks TK7602

1-
    2-
    3-
    4-Hard drive reader fingers;Model: western digital 102ba
    5-Hard drive reader arms (Model?) (not confirmed)
    6-
    7-Toolbox drawer liner
    8-Hard drive reader fingers; IBM 9 GB SCSI
    9-Hard drive reader arms (Model?) (not confirmed)
    10-Tamiya 1/35 scale 20mm Flackvierling 38 (part #2)
    11-
    12-
    13-
    14-Tank treads;tamiya panzer kampfwagen iv(not confirmed)
    15-
    16-Molex pins(not confirmed)
    17-
    18-Tamiya 1/35 scale 20mm Flackvierling 38 (part #11)
    19-Tamiya 1/35 scale 20mm Flackvierling 38 (part #1)
    20-Tamiya 1/35 scale 20mm Flackvierling 38 (part #8)
    21-Leaf Switch
    22-Wire loom (not confirmed)
    23- Tamiya 1/35 scale 20mm Flackvierling 38 (part #?)

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

I wish i could help i woundn't mind seeing or making a vader helmet with an interior, if all the parts are identified, i'd try my hand at making it...but time and money are two things hard to come buy. But on one note i have no idea how one could make the lenses that dark red and still be able to see, unless it is just for display or, have extra pop in lenses, when your no wearing it, but having a helmet like that i could not see how you would not lay in bed or on a table and have some one lower the helmet on your face like the movie :D

3. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

4. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I belive #10 is from the Tamiya 1/35 scale 20mm Flackvierling 38.

I'll check when I get home from work.

5. Darthmagpie

Lesternessman- I can't believe I missed that. Anyhow it definetally died quick. I am really hopping to keep this going....the more you fill in the more it will encourage people to finish it.

Already Boba Flint thinks he has IDed a peice that wasn't in that thread. Boba let me know and I will put it on the list.

My theroy on #17 is that it is the gasket on the hard drive. I took apart 10 hard drives this weekend all different but none the correct one. The gaskets in them were simmiliar.

6. wtfjedi

wtfjedi New Member

on 13 there is a solder lug.
    9 and 5 are hard drive reader arms.
    above the eyes are molex pins.
    the mouth area looks to be from a slot load cd or dvd player, the internal parts of the motor spindal housing.

7. Baron Fel

Baron Fel New Member

I'll 2nd that. looks just like mine.

Baron

8. Darthmagpie

Nice guys. Pics would go along way to verify. I can't find #10 in the Tamiya 1/35 scale 20mm Flackvierling 38 pictures. However I believe #16 are the feet on that model. Can someone Confirm?

WTFJEDI-I thought #9 and #5 were hard drive readers but didn't see them in the models I took apart. I will add them to the list with a "MODEL?". I am not sure what/where you are refering to "above the eyes are molex pins." When you say mouth area do you refer to the #10 area discluding the part the line is drawn to, that has been claimed to be part of the gun model or including it?

9. wtfjedi

wtfjedi New Member

right above the eyes the discs withthe pins on them. No. 16

10. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

11. Boba Flint

12. Houston Robocop

Houston Robocop Well-Known Member

Great, I haven't even started on my ROTJ vader Revealed mask yet :cry

Now here's another that prop I must build for my collection :D

Nick

13. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

14. Darthmagpie

Boba Flint, Fantastic job man..... WAY TO GO...

Houston Robocop, Hearing you say that with such frustration is HILARIOUS to me. I have multiple projects going and I promised myself(and my wife) That I wouldn't start anything new until I finished some. THEN MY COMPANY GOES AND THROWS OUT A BUNCH OF HARD DRIVES.. Imediatley the image of my DP sitting on my work bench doing nothing flashes through my head and I am sucked in.

Also I realize that there were other threads discussing this. They seamed to die out and I thought the numbered pic might be a brand of orginization that showed the goal and finish line. I appologize If I steped on another thread...Just want the same result. This thread as already yeilded fantastic results, I couldn't be happier. Keep it up guys.

At the risk of sounding like a pain and in an effort to make the list more complete. Can you "Tamiya 1/35 scale 20mm Flackvierling 38" guys give the part number from the model? Thanks, Ben

15. Darthmagpie

Just to get the juices flowing:

Number 1 reminds me of this spoon we have:
    [​IMG]

and Number 11 reminds me of this common part in the hard drives I took apart, I know this is incorrect but could be the like part on the hard drive model used here.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Wackychimp

16. Boba Flint

Some people are so picky..... :p :p

10- part #2
    18- part#11
    19- Part# 1
    20- part#8

17. Darthmagpie

You the man BOBA.

18. Darthmagpie

Don't want this to fall off. Still components to be identified. Thanks

19. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone got a source for the rubber mat?

20. LogansRunner

You could probably pick one up at a Joan Fabrics.

21. kurtyboy

We don't have those in the UK as far as I know. I did some websearching and I think I found the website but can't find the rubber mat.

Any links?

Anyone got this stuff available locally? Care to pick up some for me if I paypal you? :)

22. Darthmagpie

I got mine at Sears. $20 for 5. I think someone posted that you could get them at Harbor freight. Most places that sell roll-around toolboxes will have them. It is the draw protector "loose weave".

23. kurtyboy

How many of the Flackvierling kits are required? Two?

24. Darthmagpie

I had a request for pics of the liner:

The package:
    [​IMG]

With a white background so you can see the weave well:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks WackyChimp.

Lets have a big breakthrough. There has to be another kit that will yeild a bunch of parts. Is there a place where you can look through kit pieces? It is probable that it is another millitary model. My feeling is that #13 is the one to focus on.

25. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

Very well done to all so far on the parts discoveries. I'm getting tempted now to use the Ep3 inner face detailing on my ROTJ Reveal prop...

Please keep up the good work guys :D

Anyone here have contacts with the Ep3 art department that might be able to help? or have studio scale/kitbash modelling sites been shown photos??

Jeremy

26. Darthmagpie

could 14 be this:
    [​IMG]

27. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Ok gang, I went ahead and made some closeups of isolated pieces of the helmet. Hope this helps some.

First up, inside the dome:
    [​IMG]

Vader's forehead:
    [​IMG]

Next, the brow/forehead area:
    [​IMG]

the left temple (right side is the same):
    [​IMG]

Vader's nose (bridge):
    [​IMG]

Vader's nose (tip):
    [​IMG]

Vader's mouth:
    [​IMG]

And finally, the left jaw line (right side is the same):
    [​IMG]

Thanks to WC for hosting.

-Fred

28. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

Hey guys, in the dome the threaded pieces look like the threaded tubes for light fixture mounting. They also used them in the forehead where the tubing (could it be bicycle brake cable?) goes into them. You can find them in any hardware store in the lighting section.

First up, inside the dome:
    [​IMG]

Vader's forehead:
    [​IMG]

The square pieces with the caps and tubing look very familiar, but I can't place them. Maybe something to do with pneumatic parts/cylinders?

Next, the brow/forehead area:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that the piece on the temple is the contacts from an old open air relay.

the left temple (right side is the same):
    [​IMG]

And that has to be wire loom tubing running down the nose bridge.

Vader's nose (bridge):
    [​IMG]

That's just my 2 cents worth of knowledge, I hope it helps. :)

Richard

29. Darthmagpie

Gigatron-Great pics, they help a lot.

I think it would be great if we just start some brainstorming, kind of like what Darth Cross is doing. As well if we can get the model guys more involved it may help. I don't mind looking but in most cases I am not sure where. If "the Modelers" see some thing that is a typical piece but dont know which model it is from I can look.

I am drawn to #1. It is unusual. I am surprised by its thickness. I think it is painted copper. I looked at many emi/rfi sheilds and heat sinks....nothin. I am thinking that the copper piece on the bottom of the mouth(#12) as well as #1 may be from an electric razor or something like that. LETS JUST GENERATE SOME IDEAS/DIRECTIONS.

30. TMP

TMP Sr Member

Any update on the component list?

31. Darthmagpie

What happened? There seemed to be great enthusiasm initially. Just general brainstoming can send people looking in directions they hadn't thought of. Just shout out an idea....I have run out of ideas for places to look... Most of this stuff exists out there somewhere.

32. LogansRunner

Prehaps you could go to your local surplus store, like a TOPS or wal-mart, I think they might carry them, not sure if they have those stores in the UK ethier though....

33. shagger999uk

shagger999uk Well-Known Member

34. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

#3 on your diagram from the first page appears to be simply a piece of copper that has been etched/cut to resemble a circuit. The cuts in the closeup are definately rough and hand cut.

35. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

I agree that it seems to be something that's scrap (if it's made by them or not I ddon't know). But I don't think it's copper. If you look at the edges they're thick and a darker color. I think that it was spray painted copper. A quick coat wouldn't get the edges.

Richard

Also, all the "copper" pieces seem to be the same color. Which would be difficult to do with bare metal from different sources.

36. Darthmagpie

I agree that all the copper looks to be painted. The peice we are talking about here although the cuts look rough and there is still some burrs in the hole, The rounded ends and the hole bother me. Not easily cut and a lot of effort for no reason. This piece is not that much different that the Electro Magnetic Interferience or Radio Frequency Interfierience shields I have seen. They block radio, Walkie Talkie, ect. Signals from making products go haywire.

37. Darthmagpie

Does anyone else see a transfer case(where the rear end gears are on a rear wheel drive vehicle)? This could be like an under carrage guard for some military vehicle.?

38. kurtyboy

What about those 'dental expansion screw' like pieces? Those are on the facemask too. Must be something they found that resembled the original ones. Another model kit part?

39. R2B9

R2B9 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been identified, but it is a leaf switch out of an older electronic device.

[​IMG]
    I used to have a *ball* cleaning these things when I worked in a video arcade. They inhabited the backside of all your console buttons like FIRE, also the flipper buttons for many pinball games...that sort of thing. The more a player would pound on the button, the more they'd oxidize and get "sticky". Games like Asteroids and Defender for example... oh, the memories.

40. Darthmagpie

I will put it up. Using this can we connect it to another component and possibly find the thing it came out of?

41. R2B9

R2B9 Well-Known Member

It's an older one, but I couldn't nail down where it was pulled from... might've been out of a "box of used pinball machine parts" (Back to the Future ref there) I bet, if you have a long time electronics supply shop nearby, if they see the part they can tell you if they have any idea of its origin. However, from the oxidation on that, and the large, standard screws, it's at least 1980s vintage. Probably older.

42. dalum

dalum New Member

Those style switches are also used in the hook switch on desktop "old style" telephones. I doubt they used 1 piece from one item so maybe a closer look around will pop up something else tying it to one device.

43. Darthmagpie

Exactly what I was saying Dalum. Can you post a pic of the style phone you are talking about? Old Style is dependant upon your age. lol Busting open a phone makes sense to me I am just surprized we dont see the mic in the mouth area....or do we? DUM DUM DUUUUM.

44. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

In this pic, the ridged tube underneath everything appears to me to be 3/8 or 1/2 inch "Black Split Wire Loom" that you can get at any auto parts store. The split is probably in the back .. and they painted it silver.

[​IMG]

The large greeblies on each side of the upper portion of the bridge of the nose's HD Reader Arm are VERY familiar to me, yet I just can't pin it. It's bugging me ...

Almost like they're crossed between an old style burgler alarm "Window/Glass Breakage Sensor", and an "EKG" contact that they put on your chest in the emergency room :lol But it lso looks like it could be some sort of connecter in the internal workings of a newer car door motorized window assembly. Specifically, I think I remember something like this in my '03 Dodge Dakota when I had the door panels off running some wire. Hmmm .... yeah, I highly doubt it too :lol

[​IMG]

*EDIT*

The ridged/threaded looking wires/tubes in this pic (everywhere in the mask) appear to be the same type of motor drive wire (obviously a different thickness) as you find in your "Dremel"
    extension attachment .. if you've ever had your drive wire "Slip Out" you'll know what I mean :lol

[​IMG]

FP

45. fettpride

Ok ...

Here we go, found item ...

First, the small talk. I'm a computer/network "Tech" by trade/profession. So over the years I've
    accumulated a "TON" of old hard drives. Why I've kept them all these years? Beyond me. BUT, I've got about 600 of them. Yes, approx. 600 :lol After seeing this thread, I decided "What the hell"?

Went and got a couple of U-Haul boxes of my old drives to dig in and see what I could find.
    After about the first 25 or so, I started getting a little discouraged. I have everything you can think of. Ever drive manufacturer, practically every model of each respectively. Including 'Generics" that NO ONE" has ever heard of :lol

Then, I stumbled on it .. the "Bridge of the Nose". Yep .... 'WITHOUT A DOUBT"

I hope everyone interested in this "ROTS Reveal" will find this info useful. Just remember you heard it here first :lol

On to the pics/proof ...

[​IMG]

Fun and games ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now just a teaser of "The tip of the iceberg" of what I still have to go
    through :lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just so you know ... YES this is as "Narrowed Down" as "I Believe" it's going to get ... allow me to explain ...

Each manufacturer uses a "Proprietary Part" .. and this piece "IS" without a doubt "Western Digital ONLY". This will be confirmed without a shadow of a doubt as I spend the next two weeks parting out 600 hard drives, but thus far, "Western Digital" is the key. There is also another 'Western Digital" arm that is 99.9 % accurate. It looks identical to the one posted, with the exception of the angled slash in the machining in the front middle. The 99.9% accurate part has the same angle slash, with a "Jag" so to speak :lol I'll post comparison shots later.

As of right now, what you need to look for in a hard drive if you don't want to wait for me to recover these parts, is a "Western Digital Caviar" circa 1997-1999, 8 GB-13 GB. It MUST be a "Caviar" Not a "Protégé". It must use small Alpha/Numerical model designation as seen in the picture above. But as of this time, the 100% accurate part is from the "EXACT" model of hard drive shown ...

[​IMG]

Again, this is "THE ONE". I'm about 99 % sure. If someone proves that wrong, so be it, it wouldn't be the first time. But why bother, we got this one ... as you can see in the next pic, the sea of these ugly little buggers is going to be 'Quite" large.

[​IMG]

HAPPY HUNTING ... I'm off to find the other pieces now :lol

FP

46. jme3

jme3 Sr Member

Great work.

Where were you all those years ago when the "other" reveal project was up and running...? :)

47. Darthmagpie

WAY TO GO FETTPRIDE...... That is what I am talking about... I will do the maintenence on this thread this weekend. Lets keep it up....

48. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

It may be it but there are a few differences. The wire the runs along the side is a different color, the bumps on the "arm", that's on the right side, are different shape and the last hole towards the tip is also a different shape.
    There were a couple others but they might be due to different angles.

49. fettpride

:lol

Yes, there does appear to be some "Microscopic" differences doesn't there? But are they actually there? ;)

The red circles shown in the pic below show the shape of the cutout, and I'm assuming this is one of the items you mentioned. I think you are absolutely correct that in this case, angle is everything. My photo was taken "dead on" looking down at it. The reference pic is at just such an angle that it changes the appearance of the shape of the cutout. This is pretty obvious by seeing the 2 other arm layers right below the top layer just inside the cutout, whereas you cannot even tell there are two other layers underneath my part.

The red arrows denote some pretty obvious differences that have a very reasonable explanation. The LFL part has been "stripped" of some of the "retainers" that are built into the arm. I can easily remove the two little plastic clips of my part, and it looks identical. I have not removed the pieces on the part I took pic of simply because I wanted to keep it "Cherry" until I was ready to use it :lol

The green arrows show the "microscopic" hole in the very bottom that you referred to. The hole on the LFL part is actual the same shape as the part I provided shots of. You just have to look at the ref pic VERY closely to see the shadow of the outline of the hole. I colored it to show approximately where the hole is as I can see on my own monitor ... it almost appears that whomever put this piece together might have got a little "filler" or "glue" in the hole, distorting the actual size/shape of it. This is my take anyway, as I said .. from how I see it on my monitor. A closer pic of this "microscopic" hole would be more useful I suppose. Nice try though ... I also suppose that having one in hand would help a great deal in seeing what I'm talking about. :lol

The red wire running down the side that you referred to is actually more "Red" on my part than it appears in the picture. Lighting, afternoon light coming in the window so I didn't have to "flash" it up, ect. But you can't tell me that it is inconceivable that during the manufacturing process, the color of "wire" may or may not vary from month to month, year to year?

And the "Bumps" on the side of the arm that you referred to, are no different. Not sure what your seeing there?

Again, angles, lighting ... have to be taken into coonsideration here. I would still bet the farm on this part. I know that debate is what the RPF is all about, but when something is this "Cut and Dry", take it for what it is :lol

FP

[​IMG]

50. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks like one of these is up on ebay right now. search for western digital 102ba and it will come up. i was tempted, but the last thing i need is for a $1 hard drive to become a $5000 vader display ;)