ROTS Vader Mask Interior-2

Don, those are extremely useful and interesting shots, many thanks. It's great to get a more accurate idea of the colours involved also.

Really beautiful work.

Don't know if these would help. I forgot I had these; I took them right after I finished making the interior. There are probably a few things that are no longer on the piece. Sorry about that last blurry photo...

Having seen these, I *think* that comb-shaped piece at the mouth grill is laser cut...but I can't remember.

--Don

Thank you for the pictures, Don. These are great! I begin to love the ROTS mask. At least this reveal version!

Kind regards Jörg

It just doesn't get any better than that !!! Thanks so much Don. That pic that shows up inside of the crown is a Holy Grail Shot !!! It answers a few questions. Including those pieces I asked you about (if they wrapped around as a continuous piece). As well as the hole pattern in the custom cut rings I've been struggling with inside the crown :lol Unbelievably cool !!!! :love :love :love

Chris

Last edited:
Keeping this alive :love

I'm hoping I may have identified part #15 on the first page.

This is the clearest pic I could find of the actual part in question unfortunately. If you look REALLY hard at the pic (itty bitty red arrow) you might see what I'm seeing. I'm hopeful :lol

It's could be from a K1, M1 or M1A1 as far as I can tell with a molex connector glued on top (Maybe???) I'm in the process of confirming for sure.

obscure2.jpg
obscure3.jpg

Also, part #14 I'm just as convinced that it is a tread "track Link" (I can't believe someone thought of this !). I think the proof is in the puddin on this one (pic below). However, I cannot find the right one yet. I've been through a few kits, and so far nothing matches up. I scratch built this part earlier on because of this. But still on the hunt. So far it is NOT Panzer Kampfwagen IV as suspected.

The closest I found is from a 1/16 RC kit :rolleyes I think if the center top was cut (or notched) it would be near perfect to perfect. I have not been able to find a 1/32 scale kit to match (it's exactly 1.5 inches wide) based on the scale of the one I built compared to found parts. The one pictured is like 3 inches or something like that :lol

rc.jpg

I have 3 more kits being shipped to see what we can turn up on these two parts :thumbsup I'm really starting to wonder if Treadwell might be able to help us on some of these parts ??

Best,

Chris

Last edited:
Where'd everyone go ?? :lol

<echo>

K, maybe if I actually post some pics of my own progress everyone will come back ?? :lol I just haven't had time to breath. But I'm working on it. I need to get them up soon though, or everyone might think I waited to build the whole thing AFTER Don posted those fabulous pictures ;)

There is one other person that has seen it though, so it's for real I assure you :lol

Chris

Last edited:
Where'd everyone go ?? :lol

<echo>

K, maybe if I actually post some pics of my own progress everyone will come back ?? :lol I just haven't had time to breath. But I'm working on it. I need to get them up soon though, or everyone might think I waited to build the whole thing AFTER Don posted those fabulous pictures ;)

Chris

Chris, I'd love to see progress pics of your helmet. I think that it would help to stir up interest to let people know that this project actually can get done. I'd really like to be able to build one of these for myself soon. Any chance that you might offer some castings of the parts that you've scratch-built?

-best

Dan
ddstokes@aol.com

I'll most likely be able to get some pics up this weekend. Here's to hoping :lol

So far, I've got the mouth, nose, nose bridge, cheeks, and forehead areas complete. When I say "areas", I mean - all encompassing. Everything in "those" areas. All of the MAJOR signature pieces and more. The remaining pieces beyond that, are in various stages of being built, so I wouldn't show them if I was paid to (I'm not known for being neat when I'm scratch building) :lol I was struggling with the crown until Don was gracious enough to share his pictures. Thanks again Don ! :thumbsup

I was hoping to have everything tighed up by the end of July, but alas, it didn't happen :rolleyes

I'm really starting to wonder how long this took to do originally?? When I started, I wasn't intimidated in the least. In retrospect, I can say now that I wouldn't do it again. Ever :lol

Don? Mind if I ask how long this project took (collectively)? Or better yet, would you tells us? :D

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks again Don ! :thumbsup

I'm really starting to wonder how long this took to do originally?? When I started, I wasn't intimidated in the least. In retrospect, I can say now that I wouldn't do it again. Ever :lol

Don? Mind if I ask how long this project took (collectively)? Or better yet, would you tells us? :D

Chris

You're welcome.

I can't honestly remember...if I were to guess--about 2-1/2 weeks. Mike Jobe made the castings, then I started cutting them up to make the mask. I would imagine he took a couple days--maybe more. Cutting it would only have taken a couple days. The drawings for the laser cut parts and greebly application probably took a week, then painting this and that--I know I was crunched for time, so John Duncan took over the interior chin section (I did the exterior of the lower part). Simultaneously, Scott McNamara made the mounts and mechanism to simulate it lowering, and then I helped Carol Bauman do the final black paint job and clear coat.

Yeah, probably about 2 1/2 weeks...maybe three.

--Don

You're welcome.

I can't honestly remember...if I were to guess--about 2-1/2 weeks. Mike Jobe made the castings, then I started cutting them up to make the mask. I would imagine he took a couple days--maybe more. Cutting it would only have taken a couple days. The drawings for the laser cut parts and greebly application probably took a week, then painting this and that--I know I was crunched for time, so John Duncan took over the interior chin section (I did the exterior of the lower part). Simultaneously, Scott McNamara made the mounts and mechanism to simulate it lowering, and then I helped Carol Bauman do the final black paint job and clear coat.

Yeah, probably about 2 1/2 weeks...maybe three.

--Don

Wow? :confused You are the man indeed ! That really is a crunch for something that detailed. I edited out how much time I've invested in my replica :lol It definitely gives more perspective to what you guys have to go through to bring this stuff to life for us. Thank you for that.

I've been meaning to ask. I grazed over it in one of my previous comments. Why is it that it was decided to show so little of the interior of this mask in filming ? I mean, were you told it was going to be like this, or did you get surprised later when you saw the first cut of the film?

Sorry if I'm making you feel like you're being "interviewed". It just gives more life to this piece, having some story behind it. I can't be the only one wanting to know though :lol

Best,

Chris

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask. I grazed over it in one of my previous comments. Why is it that it was decided to show so little of the interior of this mask in filming ? I mean, were you told it was going to be like this, or did you get surprised later when you saw the first cut of the film?

Sorry if I'm making you feel like you're being "interviewed". It just gives more life to this piece, having some story behind it. I can't be the only one wanting to know though :lol

Best,

Chris

I never mind questions, as long as everyone plays nice.

The shot as it was in the film is what was planned. We knew how long it would be on camera; I was a bit surprised as how dark it was. However, the bigger surprise was how distorted it was, since Kim Marks (the director of photography for the sequence) tried to match the original concept art. Ryan Church, the conceptual artist, took an exterior view of the Vader mask and painted over it, creating the design concept for the inside. Problem was that his proportions were whacked, so it couldn't resemble the art--nor the angle that the art tried to re-create. Kim did his best and had to use a really wide lens and get in nice and tight, and pretty near "fish-eyed" the whole piece. I remember we tried tilting it and playing with the angle so it would look more sinister.

I wasn't too worried about it's length of time onscreen or it's darkness...I knew it was an iconic piece, and it would be viewed in an exhibition one day, and that satisfied my artistic pride. This was one of the few pieces that I really felt connected to when creating it--most of the other stuff is really just work for hire that I'm indifferent to. I've worked on stuff for months only to have it blown up or crushed or thrown away--or cut from the film entirely. Can't really get attached to things in this business...

--Don

Don, I gotta say. I saw the mask in Boston last year or so, and I was totally blow away by the detail in there. You really did an amazing job, and the shot of the mask lowering onto Vader's face, the sort of man in the iron mask incarseration scene, really became an iconic image for me after I saw ROTS. Thanks for all you help here.

-best

Dan

Don, Im a big fan of your work! Thanks for sharing the pics and information. Very interesting to read and yes this should definately be archived.

Cheers

I never mind questions, as long as everyone plays nice.

The shot as it was in the film is what was planned. We knew how long it would be on camera; I was a bit surprised as how dark it was. However, the bigger surprise was how distorted it was, since Kim Marks (the director of photography for the sequence) tried to match the original concept art. Ryan Church, the conceptual artist, took an exterior view of the Vader mask and painted over it, creating the design concept for the inside. Problem was that his proportions were whacked, so it couldn't resemble the art--nor the angle that the art tried to re-create. Kim did his best and had to use a really wide lens and get in nice and tight, and pretty near "fish-eyed" the whole piece. I remember we tried tilting it and playing with the angle so it would look more sinister.

I wasn't too worried about it's length of time onscreen or it's darkness...I knew it was an iconic piece, and it would be viewed in an exhibition one day, and that satisfied my artistic pride. This was one of the few pieces that I really felt connected to when creating it--most of the other stuff is really just work for hire that I'm indifferent to. I've worked on stuff for months only to have it blown up or crushed or thrown away--or cut from the film entirely. Can't really get attached to things in this business...

--Don

Don, I couldn't have asked for more ! That is amazing information.

Decking it out in spite of it's projected screen time ;) This is nothing short of what I would have expected from you, as I've followed your work for many years as well. But I didn't want to "assume" and offend you or your passion for your work. So I was being very careful with the content of my last post to be safe :lol

All of your work is iconic. At least to me. This piece however, is what I will remember you for when I'm senile. Now I just sound like a "fanboy" :lol

I think Dan summed it up. I too liken it and it's screen time to a scene like that from the man in the iron mask. I had no idea until now that you were involved with the actual shooting of that scene. Wow :eek

This is one of the VERY few opportunities we get here, or anywhere for that matter - to just sit down with one of the architect's that make this magic. I second the motion for having this archived. Thank you, yet again :)

Best,

Chris

Last edited:
Gosh, guys...you're making me blush...:$

I'm going to go an walk on some water now...

--Don

Sorry to seemingly go all "Fanboy" on ya. I hope I didn't run ya off now :lol

You've mentioned a couple of times that the cable housings may be from Hosmer. In my research I believe I've found a couple of good candidates for use with this replica, however it doesn't appear that they will be attainable? Hosmer is a prosthetics company with no direct "parts" sales available. I've attempted contact with no response.

My question is, is it possible you may still have some sort of a contact? I know that's a long shot at best. I'm just wondering how this came to be actually. Did you just happen to have a leg or an arm laying around the shop? And of course, you have to expect this one coming ...

Does this really mean that this project cost you an arm or a leg ?? ;)

:lol

Best,

Chris

Last edited:
Does this really mean that this project cost you an arm or a leg ?? ;)

:rolleyes

Whenever we needed something at ILM, we'd go to Kevin, our purchaser, tell him what we need, and very often we'd have it the next day--and sometimes that day. I believe Hosmer is a wholesale company, so they might not sell to the public; I just don't know. We just had bags of the stuff laying around, and I grabbed something that looked right. I know--at least at one time--they sold components and replacement parts, so we didn't pull stuff off of prosthetic limbs. I originally became familiar with their products when making cable-controlled puppets for "The Fly", as we used the housing, cable and some other components to move bits under foam skins.

As I might've mentioned, there was nothing purchased for that mask--except the tusks, which I got from a fan and the tool drawer liner. Everything else was either custom made or pulled from found parts laying around the shop.

I assume you've tried to call their office and speak to a sales agent, as they might be able to help find a place to purchase it from if they can't sell it to you. Tell them their products were used in "Star Wars" and tons of other movies...maybe they'll send you some for free. Which might not be a bad idea, as I'm sure it's expensive.

--Don

Howdy Don...Long time no speak...

Since you mentioned the tusks, I thought I would throw in my side of that story...

I was at home one day in late 2004 (I think) and got a call from the illustrious Mr. Bies, asking me if I could source some vader tusks for him. Being the resourceful sort that I am, I quickly responded "yep".

Don wouldn't tell me exactly what it was for, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize he was working on a Vader helmet. Needless to say, I quickly got a couple of sets and shipped them out to ILM.

A couple of months later, I receive a check in the mail from ILM...For "Aluminum Helmet Tusks"...(I still have that check BTW) :)

Fast forward to C3 in Indianapolis...Spring 2005...Don finally tells me that they were used on the new reveal helmet which was being featured in close up in the latest ROTS trailer. I was beside myself!

Now fast forward again to a couple of years later...I'm standing in a Museum in Fort Worth Texas looking through a glass case at that helmet, and the very tusks that I had sold to Don years before. THAT was a very cool moment.

And I owe it all the Don...Thanks Mr. Bies :D

Jason

:rolleyes

--Don

Too cornball for you eh :lol Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the info. I did try to speak with someone there months ago. And I got the canned "no sell to the public" speech. But it was an operator I believe. So I'll give it another shot, and tell them it's about their parts used in Star Wars. It might actually work :thumbsup

Howdy Don...Long time no speak...

Since you mentioned the tusks, I thought I would throw in my side of that story...

Jason

I've owned a couple of sets of your tusks actually. Very nice. And a VERY cool story to boot. Always wondered who you were ;)

Have anymore of those little bad boys?? I need a couple sets :lol

Best,

Chris

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back