ROTJ detonator charges

What sort of steering column could have had orange parts? I'm thinking something Industrial. Forklift? Golf Cart?

I actually don't think it's too far fetched for 60's, 70's, 80's consumer objects to have been orange from the factory (such as car parts). Orange was a lot more popular of a color then.

How about electric airport vehicles? There's airport tugs, luggage tractors, and many other names and variations for that sort of thing. Many of which are primarily orange or yellow.

IMO there's still absolutely no reason to doubt that these were cast in an orange resin from a common part. In fact, it would make perfect sense seeing as there were multiples of these made for production. My money is on something heavy and metal, like a part from a car or other industrial application. Very likely that they just happened to have orange resin lying around, so that's what they used knowing it would be painted anyways. Or, perhaps the prop makers originally painted them that blaze orange color, but decided they popped too much on screen and painted over them with a more muted, pleasing color.

lonepigeon just identified the mystery part in the third hole as a:
Mulbrod cable clip
Part number: LS 108/65

Check out his Facebook page. He's got some great images:
So I guess my question to those who know a lot of the parts used, what item do you think they got this part from? I'm assuming they scrounged it from something they had.

The alba buttons are the correct slider knobs and same as the Ferguson. It looks ridged on the edges because the silver part is like a cover and it’s moved slightly down on the slider.

That makes no sense but I know what I mean.

I can confirm that the Ferguson record player knobs are the correct knobs. The Alba knobs I bought haven't arrived yet.

I had already contacted Mulbrod in Germany and I'm planning on buying a large quantity of the clips to sell them per unit in my WannaWanga shop. The minimum order quantity is still unknown and the parts are on backorder. I hope to be able to sell them soon.

Last edited:
What sort of steering column could have had orange parts? I'm thinking something Industrial. Forklift? Golf Cart?

I actually don't think it's too far fetched for 60's, 70's, 80's consumer objects to have been orange from the factory (such as car parts). Orange was a lot more popular of a color then.
60's 70's 50's car interiors were predominantly black plastic covered in vinyl. Exterior color rarely had anything to do with interior color. trust me I spend lots of time in junk yards.

So I guess my question to those who know a lot of the parts used, what item do you think they got this part from? I'm assuming they scrounged it from something they had.

I think this is a common misconception. A lot of stuff wasn't scavenged at all. It's surplus and extra parts. That's why you see the same pieces over and over again. They didn't strip dashboards from Volvos. They got cast off plastic parts from the factory (extras or maybe ones with slight defects).
The orange cylinder piece might be from the same plastic manufacturer as the Volvo dash - or somewhere else if they had deals with multiple places. These would have been independent factories, subcontractors that worked with multiple brands so it's hard to nail down exactly what they were making at the time.
I do know they dealt with the same factory multiple times for ESB and ROTJ parts.

They had a ton of these metal clips. I noticed them everywhere before finally figuring out what they were.
The LS 108/65 was even used inside Fett's ESB helmet for its real purpose - holding wires.

Yep, This is from a wordpress blog
Boba-Fett-Empire-Strikes-Back-Helmet-06a.jpg

Chris, you are very good at this, I guess that's why you made a website first :D

I think this is a common misconception. A lot of stuff wasn't scavenged at all. It's surplus and extra parts. That's why you see the same pieces over and over again. They didn't strip dashboards from Volvos. They got cast off plastic parts from the factory (extras or maybe ones with slight defects).

This is the kind of info I find fascinating. I know a lot of people just care about what the part is so they can acquire it, but I love knowing the process. So what is a common process for a prop department like LFL? I figure they do not go to a place like Volvo and say and ask to look at their surplus. I am thinking that there are places that make business out of acquiring industrial and commercial surplus for the sake of resale. And it would be a place like this that’s prop department might visit for supplies. Is that about right?

I am thinking that there are places that make business out of acquiring industrial and commercial surplus for the sake of resale. And it would be a place like this that’s prop department might visit for supplies. Is that about right?

They literally got extra parts straight from a plastics factory. These were current, or at least recent, production parts (probably about to be trashed or melted down). I know there's a book or article that mentioned this. Maybe the making of ESB or some interview with Frank Bruton, prop master.

If there's a lot of a particular part, they likely came straight from the manufacturer (Michell, the plastics factory, RS components, etc).
Sometimes there's off-the-shelf stuff that they bought multiples from a store (boy scout supplies, exactra calculators, tape recorders, V8 kits).
There was obviously a bunch of aircraft scrap, army surplus, camera equipment too but there is so much of it that was current.

If this orange thing is part of a product (like a car) it was likely manufactured in 1981. If it's a product (pipe fitting, conduit, whatever) it was likely on shelves in '81 or recently discontinued/clearanced.

The newly found boot studs... those were definitely brand new at the time. They may all have been from a single pair of boots bought by the costume department. There might be a background alien in ROTJ wearing a pair of Hunter boots.

Its strange isn't it. In this hobby there are just certain items that really grab you. The two things that played on my mind for years were the eumig servomatic before Howard found it, and then after that, the mystsry box on the side.

This orange piece is driving me to distraction.
I am mid fifties, live in the UK, brought up watching SW and started making crude props in '77. I feel I ought to know what it is. I dont!!
I am slowly going mad trawling google images. Cars, golf buggies, Stihl leaf blowers, vacuum cleaners. anything by Black and Decker or Flymo just because they are orange plastic.

I need to get out more.

I am slowly going mad trawling google images. Cars, golf buggies, Stihl leaf blowers, vacuum cleaners. anything by Black and Decker or Flymo just because they are orange plastic.

Same here, I’ve looked through those as well as fans, lanterns, gum ball machines, emergency locator buoys, and floor electrical boxes.

Its strange isn't it. In this hobby there are just certain items that really grab you. The two things that played on my mind for years were the eumig servomatic before Howard found it, and then after that, the mystsry box on the side.

This orange piece is driving me to distraction.
I am mid fifties, live in the UK, brought up watching SW and started making crude props in '77. I feel I ought to know what it is. I dont!!

I need to get out more.

We're all nuts here. :lol:

Maybe it's good to look at one of the other props that was made. I had a close look with my buddy marvin at some pictures of one of them when I realized I might have a book with this image and then I found this in the French collector's book 'Objets du Mythe'. I just made this scan to see more details.

scan-detonator.jpg

There is so much detail to see: scratches in the paint, texture of the body, brush strokes of the brown paint, reflection in the red paint, split line in the base. You can even see the split end of one of the waders' boot stud! Also you can see the metal luster of the same top knob. The photomultiplier tube louvers are the mirrored versions of the hero prop. The inside of the LED holes are painted red, perhaps to mimic the red LED of the hero prop. You also see the thread in the hole where the Michell screws go, etc.

There's also this image from it:
2020-08-21 07.41.49.jpg

Here you can clearly see inside the hole on the side (I believe this was mentioned before).

Also you can see how different the colors are. The pictures from the PropStore are probably over saturated. I heard they are known for that. I would use these two images instead as color reference; they look closer to the props in the movie.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back