ROTJ detonator charges

The body of the detonator seems to be orange, and the flange/skirt is a separate part:

1597951936745.png

View attachment 1339005

I apologize if this has been discussed already but I read a lot of people saying the original part is orange. But in this broke part it looks like a white resin. Is the material known? Or would it possible that the original part is injection molded thermoplastic? Or aluminum? Is there any consensus?

Roy

The cone and the cylinder are two separate parts. From what I understand, it is the cylinder that has the exposed orange where the paint has chipped.

Ah yes. That makes sense.
And is it assumed that both pieces are made from plastic? Or metal? The edges on the upper part are really crisp and sharp and look like aluminum, but it could also be made in plastic even though the upper part seems to be missing the usual draft angles.

Ah yes. That makes sense.
And is it assumed that both pieces are made from plastic? Or metal? The edges on the upper part are really crisp and sharp and look like aluminum, but it could also be made in plastic even though the upper part seems to be missing the usual draft angles.

I think the lower angled piece might be something like a fiberglass part. I don't know for sure but when I look at the broken piece, it looks porous. If it is part of a lighting fixture, then would it make since it might be fiberglass or some sort of composite that might be heat resistance?

To me, I think the main body (the orange part) is injection molded plastic mostly in the way the sharpness of the edges of the details on the top,

Last edited:
And still they tease us, can't see into the third recess! It almost looks like dental expanders could be in there in the movie. Anyone able to get a picture from Gus?

The skirt being mentioned as orange is probably my fault.
The pic I was looking at was showing orange flakes like the paint had chipped off.
Looking at them now, I can see a white base color in the chips.

The base part has mold seams down the side, so mold injected unless it's a resin cast piece.

I apologize if this has been discussed already but I read a lot of people saying the original part is orange. But in this broke part it looks like a white resin. Is the material known? Or would it possible that the original part is injection molded thermoplastic? Or aluminum? Is there any consensus?

Roy

One of the previous pics that were posted showed the underside and the main center piece definitely looks like it is a cast IMO.

One of the previous pics that were posted showed the underside and the main center piece definitely looks like it is a cast IMO.

if you are talking about this....

81318987-cc3c-4f24-a63e-6b59acbcfd4d-jpeg.jpg

I don’t think looking at the underside really helps identify what the main body is made from. I think what you are looking at is something that was added by the prop department to encase the internals and not something native to the found item.

To be honest it looks like a scratch made bit to support the body, since the rim is so hollow and fragile

It’s just a platform for it to stick to the tape(?)

At first I thought that rough edge on the underside end of the cylinder was evidence of being cast as well -- IE, the open face of a mold, with the lighter area around the edges being flat-sanded resin meniscus. With the higher resolution photos, I realized: it's simply a roughly cut circle of double stick tape stuck to an extension of the cylindrical body, which makes a sort of tape platform as mentioned by teecrooz. The defined darker area in the circle is where the flat base of the body is pressed against the tape, which has also collected dirt from surfaces over time.

At first I thought that rough edge on the underside end of the cylinder was evidence of being cast as well -- IE, the open face of a mold, with the lighter area around the edges being flat-sanded resin meniscus. With the higher resolution photos, I realized: it's simply a roughly cut circle of double stick tape stuck to an extension of the cylindrical body, which makes a sort of tape platform as mentioned by teecrooz. The defined darker area in the circle is where the flat base of the body is pressed against the tape, which has also collected dirt from surfaces over time.
I see it!!

You can still find WW2 hobnails, but they seem to be smooth. If it was at Elstree, then it could well be using blakeys , they have similar patterns.

Over at the V2 thread, someone thinks they might have a lead on the correct part. Last I heard they were keeping it mum until they know for sure and they did not say one way or the other if it was a hobnail type device, so we will see.

However, I have looked and there are many different hobnails for boot traction. Although they used these in WW2, they were not limited to that time frame or just military use and in some cased, such items are not even referred to as hobnails. Some have texture, most do not.

If they are indeed this type of found item, I personally believe they are the screw in type device and not the nail/tack style. I think the holes they were trying to plug were larger than nail holes. Now it is indeed plausible that could simply glue something in place but I tend to think they wanted to fill the hole as well as cover it. No proof, just a feeling.

These knobs are close. But not completely correct. Seems like a Russian audio mixer, but I can't identify it.

I think you are on the right track.

Oh man! I'll bet that a vintage version of that strobe beacon was the found part for the main body - nice find!
Nice finds, MJ'sF.
Thanks guys. I have no idea if that type of item is correct but I was trying to find something...
That had a reason to be orange (like a piece of safety equipment)
That had some sort of electronics attachment at one end (a reason for all the openings on top of the part)

If someone had the ability to talk to Gus, maybe ask him to shine a flashlight into the grills and see if it looks like they are covering holes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back