Rolls Royce Derwent MK9 Teardown and Lessons Learned

So I bought an MK9 engine from a government auction up here in Canada. This is a bit of a write up on the adventure!

Our Science and Tech museum was clearing out their warehouse, where they had had it in storage since the early 70’s. It was a factory MK9, not an upgraded MK8. The journey begins with the pickup. They loaded it on to my trailer with their forklift, and the pickup went fairly smoothly.
20210324_083307.jpg

So first off, if you’re going to do something like this, I highly recommend having a plan on how to move the engine. The auction listing gave an estimate of ~1400lbs, no easy feat to move! I brought it to my dad’s farm workshop to work on. Tractors for the win.

20210324_093309 (1).jpg

I’ve got a video of the engine before dismantling at

And so the work begins, starting with removing all the hoses. I was able to remove pretty much everything with a metric wrench set. Before being able to remove the hoses, it turns out almost every fitting was wired together, slowing down the process a bit.

20210325_202649.jpg

After the hoses were disconnected, unscrewing the outer chambers from the ring frame was next. I think this is new for the MK9, and this really slowed down the disassembly. Each outer chamber had ~10 of these nuts, and they all had a locking washer like thing, preventing the use of a socket wrench. I used a 9mm wrench on these, but I found the best method to prevent stripping was to use a small vice-grip to get it started first, then use the wrench to finish it.

20210325_193255.jpg
20210324_135551.jpg

Next, was splitting the balance pipes. They have this band to lock the coupler pieces together. It’s fairly soft metal, and I found twisting a flathead screwdriver in there was enough to eventually get the band to break (there’s probably a better way to do this).

20210324_171443.jpg

After the band is removed, I had to figure out a way to split the halves. I found the best way was to use a pair of large vice grips and to tap on the other side with a hammer and flathead, unscrewing the two sides. Do this on both sides of the chambers, and it’s now disconnected from its neighbours.
20210324_170702.jpg
20210324_171215.jpg

Finally, there’s two screws holding the chambers to the fan vent. Using a 11mm and a 12mm wrench I was able to remove these fairly trivially. With the help of a crowbar, the chamber is free!

20210324_110718.jpg
20210324_114815.jpg
20210328_230448.jpg

I’ve noticed that the outer chambers are stamped with numbers and the serial of my engine.
20210327_143542.jpg

Rinse, repeat 8 more times.
20210330_183915.jpg

More pictures at: pictures - Google Drive

Lessons Learned
So a factory MK9 has a few variances from the MK8.

1. As mentioned, the outer chambers have an extra lip with the extra bolts.
20210324_114750.jpg

2. The flame tube has a variance in the bottom hole pattern, making it different from the IG-88/IG-11 head on the bottom.
20210325_235350.jpg
20210325_235335 (1).jpg

3. My MK9 didn’t have the fabled correct balance pipes. It had the smaller version. You should be able to tell from the outside, if somehow another engine pops up. The ‘correct’ BP’s would have a bigger diameter than pictured.
20210330_232256.jpg
20210328_133401.jpg

Future work

My goal was to get a flame tube and an outer chamber to do castings from. While the tube doesn't have the correct hole pattern, the tube will still work fine for this purpose. Just need to add in two bands, cast it smooth, then cut out the bigger holes from the cast copies. Might even be easier to make the master mold from this one over the larger holes when doing the clay. I have a CNC milling machine that I plan to program to cut out holes from the rotomolded copies.

I plan on selling the other sets of balance pipes and extra flame tubes. Still need to remove them from the outer chambers, and figure out what a fair price would be. They have a pretty awesome patina, and are from the correct era. Should make pretty sweet lamps, or even masters for casting.

Attachments

• 20210325_202649.jpg
    20210325_202649.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 274
  • 20210327_144137.jpg
    20210327_144137.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 222
  • 20210325_235350.jpg
    20210325_235350.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I didn't even think about the weight. Realized my truck couldn't hold it in the bed so I'd have to trailer it lol.

Are you really sure this is actually a MK9..? Or is it just your thought given by the fact that in the serial there is a "9"? They gave you some files together with the engine which shows that it's a MK9? It's just for personal knowledge that I ask you, my opinion anyway is that this is a MK8 (a variant of MK8 precisely).

Last edited:
Are you really sure this is actually a MK9..? Or is it just your thought given by the fact that in the serial there is a "9"? They gave you some files together with the engine which shows that it's a MK9? It's just for personal knowledge that I ask you, my opinion anyway is that this is a MK8 (a variant of MK8 precisely).
I'm basing it off the plaque tag, and the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Derwent . They have the model "Rolls-Royce RB.37 Derwent", then nine variants. If it was older then it would be a RB.23 Welland and newer it would be a RB.50 Trent.

FS535100-987089.jpg

It’s an RB37-9, which is a 1940s model. RBs were the second of this style engine and the design pre-dates the MK5,8,9s.

In fact there is a lot that doesn't seem right in this particular model to me. It’s certainly not an MK9 "as we understand it". And it is probably further proof that it isn’t easy to find the right one.

In fact there is a lot that doesn't seem right in this particular model to me. It’s certainly not an MK9 "as we understand it". And it is probably further proof that it isn’t easy to find the right one.
From what I've seen on here (I could be wrong, hard to find all the threads about the engines) is that most of the found ones were in field upgraded MK8's to MK9's. And not all MK8->MK9's have the right parts. From what I've gathered the MK8's and MK9's with the Obi BP are not stock MK8's or MK9's, they have a mod that was added. To me it's likely my engine was before that mod was added to the MK9 line. The extra bracket on my outer chambers makes sense from a stability perspective and my guess would be that it was an enhancement. In a document I found they mention mod '596' being the main difference between MK8 and MK9 being high energy igniters?
mk9_maintenance_manual_snippet.JPG

I've added the whole document I got to my google drive folder: rrderwent589

These old engines are pretty wacky. I’m looking at the design of the (last stage? Only stage?) centrifugal compressor- are those variable exit vanes around the perimeter, or fixed? They feed all those metal ducts?!? Wacky!!! Did you get the compressor too?

The burner can idea was not great. The thought was good- squirt fuel here; get fire here, but under compression, things get weird with pressures being different in each can so you need balance pipes. Those cause turbulence where they cross into a perpendicular flow. Long story short, it’s easy to see how you can lose a can (flame out) and all that gets much worse suddenly. My experience is with old Pratt and GE engines using the burner can. JT-8 was the last Pratt engine I’m pretty sure. JT-9, for the 747, has an outer combustor the size of a hot tub. I’ve literally been inside them to do chip repairs on the ceramic coating. Not sure of the last GE model.

The high energy igniters tried to “keep the lights on”.

I believe the Trents, like others in the 60’s, went to a modern combustor that is one big donut. More even heat and gas flow with more predictable behavior. But, when the lights go out, things get REALLY dark. Stalling was a big problem and if you watch the video of the Pratt JT-9 development (for the 747) they blow one up on-wing, with exhaust coming back out the front fan!!!

(that whole 747 story is pretty amazing)

As far as variants/evolution goes, I can say the Pratt F100-220 is a completely different animal to the F100-229 that we overhaul HPC (high pressure compressor) blades for. I think the part interchange is limited to fasteners... I receive the full Depot level overhaul documents for the -229 with every update. Actually we were the only place on earth overhauling these blades. Recently Tinker AFB started doing them in house and had a lot of issues getting up to speed. (It’s not easy!)

If the “Mark” version is anything like the “dash” version for Pratt, it could be a similar situation. Basically a totally new engine.

All that said, how cool is it to have an antique military jet engine in your barn?!?

These old engines are pretty wacky. I’m looking at the design of the (last stage? Only stage?) centrifugal compressor- are those variable exit vanes around the perimeter, or fixed? They feed all those metal ducts?!? Wacky!!! Did you get the compressor too?

All that said, how cool is it to have an antique military jet engine in your barn?!?
Pretty sure it's just one stage (if you can call it that, more of a fan), fixed? If I had the space I'd setup something like

Good diagram in that manual I linked in my last post.
airflow.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back