Rogue One question

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, so I'm sure this was brought up before and I missed it, but why is the death star upside down at the beginning of rogue one?

All that aside, this movie far exceeds the prequels in my opinion. A well done film. Can't wait to see what they do for the next story.

Ok, so I'm sure this was brought up before and I missed it, but why is the death star upside down at the beginning of rogue one?

All that aside, this movie far exceeds the prequels in my opinion. A well done film. Can't wait to see what they do for the next story.
It wasn't "upside down" persay. Sort of like how the earth has directions, bit isn't "upside down" or "right side up". Does that make sense?

Upside down is all relative in space. It makes sense that the station would orient the laser dish towards the planet in order to fire. depending on the direction of travel of the Battlestation towards the planet, it might appear on the planet that the station is upside down.

now, I think the production people just went for something a little more visually stylish and different.

It wasn't "upside down" persay. Sort of like how the earth has directions, bit isn't "upside down" or "right side up". Does that make sense?

I was thinking like that, (yes I get it), however it's not like that in any scene from ANH and it's only like that during the beginning of rogue. Besides, it's not like they have floors on spindles

I was thinking like that, (yes I get it), however it's not like that in any scene from ANH and it's only like that during the beginning of rogue. Besides, it's not like they have floors on spindles
Good point I didn't think about it like that with the floors.. maybe they just wanted to provide a new view of the death star for viewers?

Besides, it's not like they have floors on spindles

Why would they need to be?
The gravity generator is most likely at the core...
There's no "right-side-up" in space.
If you're standing on the South Pole, are you upside down?
From your perspective you're right-side-up, because the center of gravity is at the core.

My question is this. If K-2SO was reprogrammed why didn't they buff out his Imperial markings? Isn't it hazardous to have him walking around that way?

My question is this. If K-2SO was reprogrammed why didn't they buff out his Imperial markings? Isn't it hazardous to have him walking around that way?

Maybe he was so unique amongst the rebels it was obvious he was OK when he was on a base and with trusted personel, not like he was a probe droid sneaking around, and it helped him to stay undercover later of course. That would have been something they wanted to preserve the ability to do. Of course we saw the downside when he could have been mistaken as a bad droid as the humorous scene showed.

Here's one thing I never understood about the Death Star--the way the levels were portrayed in ROTJ. Instead of being "horizontal" levels, shouldn't they have been more like concentric spheres?
DEATH STAR LEVELS.png

Depends on how far out from the core they begin. Based on the levels we've seen - cocentric levels would have to be big enough to see no curve in them. Conversely, the curve we do see is left/right or right/left which implies flat levels.

Why would they need to be?
The gravity generator is most likely at the core...
There's no "right-side-up" in space.
If you're standing on the South Pole, are you upside down?
From your perspective you're right-side-up, because the center of gravity is at the core.
That was my first thought when he said that too, but think about how the ships fly in and land.. wouldn't they be landing on a floor and not a wall? This universe is so damn confusing![emoji38]

From the official stuff, the Death Star is mostly stacked decks, with a few onion layers of shell levels at the very outside (the "city sprawl"). If the Falcon can smooth the transition from the gravity planes of the main deck to the gunwell, the DS should have no trouble doing the same. The original was only 160km in diameter and is mostly refined metal with a lot of empty volume for rooms and corridors. Far different mass-wise from a solid asteroid of the same size. So its inherent gravity is probably much less. Which, on such a small body, would already be negligible.

--Jonah

Yeah even with the machinery of the super laser and engines the construct is still mostly open space and would have negligable innate gravity due to mass.

Well, it could have the hamster ball inside that all the levels are built on and stays true if the outer does float back and forth. Kind of like BB-8
But still, again, no scene in ANH shows the death star in any other form and the inverted dish is always up. Even while it's moving toward yavin before luke blows it up.

Not at all nitpicking, just noticed it, and thought it was odd.

When we first see it having the focusing dish installed, it's "right side up". When it shows up at Jedha, it's "upside down". Maybe the Jedha system is at a relative tilt compared to where the DS came from that that's just how it arrived and why bother reorienting if they're not going to land? I just liked it as a reminder that there's no "up" in space. *shrug*

--Jonah

The R1 folk's just realized you can't stick the death star above a planet (or moon or anything else) with the dish on top and then shoot DOWN. The dish shoots outward at approximately a 45 degree angle. If you're above it - the dish is pointing at nothing but empty space. You have to shoot from below or turn the whole thing upside down to shoot downward.

The R1 folk's just realized you can't stick the death star above a planet (or moon or anything else) with the dish on top and then shoot DOWN. The dish shoots outward at approximately a 45 degree angle. If you're above it - the dish is pointing at nothing but empty space. You have to shoot from below or turn the whole thing upside down to shoot downward.

The flaw in that reasoning is that they could just rotate the DS a little to tilt the dish toward the target. No need to flip the whole station. I saw nothing in the sales brochure that said the plane of the DS equator has to be tangent to the surface of the planet. :p

--Jonah

You're all thinking in two dimensions. Turn the shot upside down. The DS is below the equator of Jeddah, firing diagonally upwards.
Let's not forget it's to look cool on screen and not to be scientifically accurate. No one questions why all ships fly on the same plane or always meet nose to nose. There is no north, east, south or west.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back