ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by DrscifiProps, Jun 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DrscifiProps

DrscifiProps Well-Known Member

Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build - Taking Steps

Adam and Norm briefly talk for a moment this week on "Still Untitled" their weekly podcast about K-2SO. At the very end of the episode, it is mentioned. I can't wait to hear their full conversation on a later episode! The look on asavage face. I can't wait to one day bring K2 to a con he is at. Perhaps when I'm in NorCal later this year.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Fox and Engelnicht like this.
  2. DrscifiProps

Time to attach the torso foam. Everything was just taped together for the RPF party. It was pulling itself apart by the next day. I'll need to tighten the shoulder holes down to around 11" across.

33322428734_c0727d302b_z.jpg

Glued the mounting "shoulder blades" in place.
    34164878675_87a45e7beb_z.jpg

Love the cleaner setup for my workspace. Now with 2 cameras for twitch streaming.
    33780224970_7a3649f1ec_z.jpg

Adding a cross brace attached to the center pvc pipe.
    33322433834_22819a82a2_z.jpg

Also trimmed down the pvc plug that holds the arms on.
    33322241194_af6197de96_z.jpg

All supports are glued in place now, much stronger.
    33353507443_d1a85c904d_z.jpg

Decided to make the mount for my Aker. Putting it at a 45ish degree angle to the ressonance tube.
    34007372782_fc8c743e94_z.jpg

Pieces prepped with glue, waiting for it to tack.
    34164722835_ccb5c23d26_z.jpg

A perfect fit for the aker.
    34007181372_d67dba8fd3_z.jpg

Glued to the side shoulder blade and taped in place.
    34164722885_a403e74844_z.jpg

Not going anywhere and I can still remove the neck.
    33353196043_16c4a9c923_z.jpg

I'll work on a mesh to cover this hole.
    34123566106_8f1b607cd9_z.jpg

Now back to glueing down the top foam. Getting the placement dialed and adding alignment marks.
    34164361135_ec51249951_z.jpg

Glue applied along the silver sharpie mark.
    34164365435_49815e3084_z.jpg

Moment of truth.
    33779725550_b8c5e08ee3_z.jpg

Gif of me applying the foam on.
    33786631630_6633d83c0f_o.gif

Ready for lower torso construction.
    34006884102_08c77474cd_z.jpg

New two camera system works great.
    34164364975_06517d74c5_z.jpg

By the way, I'm going to be streaming at 10:30p Pacific TONIGHT (4/20/2017) Come watch as I work on K2's torso.
    http://twitch.tv/drscifi

33322428734_c0727d302b_z.jpg

34164878675_87a45e7beb_z.jpg

33780224970_7a3649f1ec_z.jpg

33322433834_22819a82a2_z.jpg

33322241194_af6197de96_z.jpg

33353507443_d1a85c904d_z.jpg

34007372782_fc8c743e94_z.jpg

34164722835_ccb5c23d26_z.jpg

34007181372_d67dba8fd3_z.jpg

34164722885_a403e74844_z.jpg

33353196043_16c4a9c923_z.jpg

34123566106_8f1b607cd9_z.jpg

34164361135_ec51249951_z.jpg

34164365435_49815e3084_z.jpg

33779725550_b8c5e08ee3_z.jpg

View attachment 33786631630_6633d83c0f_o.gif

3. Engelnicht

Engelnicht Well-Known Member

Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build - Streaming Build Tonight

Awesome progress!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

4. DrscifiProps

A lot of torso progress over the past 2 days. First I adjusted the side panels to be tighter. Now that the overall torso was shaped I dialed in the diameter of the side cones. They will end up being 12-13" wide. This meant I needed to tighten the side pieces by clamping them in place.

[​IMG]

Made my cut lines on the inside with silver sharpie.
    [​IMG]

Glued in place with line up marks.
    [​IMG]

I made a 9" ring that will slip over the shoulder sleeve to hold it in place.
    [​IMG]

Added a 1" ring.
    [​IMG]

Tape on the inside of the wooden wheel holds it in place and this outer ring collects the fabric and elastic together for a cleaner look. Now when the arm is in place and swinging it stays taut and looks great.
    [​IMG]

Used my cone template maker. http://www.templatemaker.nl/index.php?template=cone&lang=en to create a cone that was 12" at it's base and 9" at its top with a 2.25" hight.
    [​IMG]

Used my wire compass trick to draw out the pattern, then made two.
    [​IMG]

Ended up leaving a lip inside for the colored ring to go on. Had to add notches to let it stay flat. May need to rework this part.
    [​IMG]

Two cones ready to be glued.
    [​IMG]

I ended up heating the foam and pressing the inner circle down to keep it flat.
    [​IMG]

Deciding how far off the torso to make the cones. Went with 1.25" off the inner plate they will be mounted on.
    [​IMG]

Added the 1.25" foam strip around the outer edge.
    [​IMG]

I also glued in some pieces of foam to seal the armpit area. This won't be covered by the cone and I don't want holes in his torso.
    [​IMG]

A little tape from the inside keeps the armpit foam in place along with the glue. You can see the resonance tube here (blue)
    [​IMG]

Moment of truth, all the glue is tacked up, ready to apply.
    [​IMG]

I love the distance, it looks very polished.
    [​IMG]

Symmetry
    [​IMG]

Really coming along.
    [​IMG]

Started on the lower torso. Cut out a trapezoid for the front and back that was 4.25" wide at it's base and was 14" tall.
    [​IMG]

Cut a 5" by 8" piece for the "floor" of the lower torso. This will be glued to the center spine connector with 3" in front of the circle and 2 behind.
    [​IMG]

Cut a hole in the back plate, nice and snug.
    [​IMG]

Held the front and back in place for angles.
    [​IMG]

Used a scrap foam piece to template the curves of the sides.
    [​IMG]

Adding all of the details to the front, sides and back before gluing the box together. This is the back details.
    [​IMG]

I'll be livestreaming on Sunday night at 10:30p Pacific again. Come watch me continue on his torso. http://twitch.tv/drscifi

5. DrscifiProps

Getting into a good groove here. Focused on the details of the lower torso.
    [​IMG]

Layered the back panel. All scored seams were hit with the heat gun to make nice clean grooves.
    [​IMG]

Added the edge details.
    [​IMG]

Starting on the side ribs. Hard to see on the toys but they are there.
    [​IMG]

Marked off 1.5" spaces with .5" gaps.
    [​IMG]

14 tiles ready to be glued.
    [​IMG]

I love layering the 2mm foam over other foam to get these raised results.
    [​IMG]

I'll trim the top some but these turned out great.
    [​IMG]

The front is 3 layers deep. 2x of 6mm foam and the top layer is 2mm.
    [​IMG]

Lots of thought went into the GoPro mount. This will be a reaction camera that captures people's reactions to K2. I lined up the lens with the round port on the front. But also made a plug I can insert when not using the camera.
    [​IMG]

Layers of 2mm foam.
    [​IMG]

Trimmed.
    [​IMG]

All socre lines in place.
    [​IMG]

I bought these model railway ladders from a local hobby store when picking up the rc car struts specifically for this piece.
    [​IMG]

The backside is trimmed to fit the GoPro perfectly.
    [​IMG]

All 4 sides ready to be assembled.
    [​IMG]

I taped them into place to determine how to keep access to the abs GoPro.
    [​IMG]

The back is almost solely held on by the mounting PVC.
    [​IMG]

Sides look good too.
    [​IMG]

Made up a layered mount that glues to the front of the 4way PVC coupler inside the abs.
    [​IMG]

Tested countersinking small rare earth magnets into the front panel to hold it in place.
    [​IMG]

Everything is prepped for glue, waiting for it tack.
    [​IMG]

Front support panels mounted. 6 REM will hold the front panel in place, plus the friction of the top torso.
    [​IMG]

Marked the polarity on the second set of magnets. The last thing I want is two of them to be upside down and push instead of pull.
    [​IMG]

Just snaps right into place.
    [​IMG]

Now this is the ABS cam people! Not the crotch cam. that would be lower ;)
    [​IMG]

Really coming together.
    [​IMG]

This is what the POV video looks like. Just a little blur on the edges but should pick up people great. Plus bounus it finds cute kids.
    [​IMG]

Nice profile too.
    [​IMG]

Started on the upper arms. Made a small mockup of the shoulder bell to test how the foam bends.
    [​IMG]

I think I can make it all in one piece.
    [​IMG]

Cut the two bicep support rings.
    [​IMG]

This creates the slite cone shape of the bicep.
    [​IMG]

Didn't quite factor in the curve needed for the cone so some temp tape to get it lined up.
    [​IMG]

Always 2 there are. Always...
    [​IMG]

I've been eyeballing a lot more of this project as I get more comfortable with the foam.
    [​IMG]

Countersunk the upper bicep plate in a little.
    [​IMG]

Glued on all edges but a little tape never hurt. Also with the bicep wrapped around and the stresses on the edges, I thought it was prudent.
    [​IMG]

Discs glued in.
    [​IMG]

Outer skin is on.
    [​IMG]

Looking nice.
    [​IMG]

Designing the clamp piece that will help hold the shoulder connection disk together and be the mount for the shoulder bell.
    [​IMG]

Simple foam spacer to sit on the wooden disk.
    [​IMG]

Glue glue glue.
    [​IMG]

So the small horseshoe goes over the pvc slip ring. The larger one channels the shoulder sleeve.
    [​IMG]

Steps to connecting the arm. First insert the slip ring over the shoulder joint and attach the end plug.
    [​IMG]

Lineup the sleeve ring with the magnets and clamp the bottom with binder clips.
    [​IMG]

Add horeshoe clamp (which will have the shoulder bell on it.
    [​IMG]

Arrms are almost there. Just need the shoulder bell and the inner elbow joints done.
    [​IMG]

A little more work tonight in the shop. I won't be streaming but I still want to get the arms done.

6. DrscifiProps

As I get close to finishing up K2. (HA!) I've picked my next Imperial Droid project.
    The Interrogator Droid.
    Don't tell me the noises this thing made didn't unnerve you.

image_2fc196dc.jpeg

I'll then have a Mouse Droid, Death Star GONK, K-2SO and Interrogator Droid (Dr. Ball)

7. Dminor

Dminor Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe they'll invite you up to his cave!

DrscifiProps likes this.
  8. Bengrim09

Bengrim09 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic build love watching your progress
    you would have finished this if your WIP pics and descriptions where not so informative and addictive to read :thumbsup
    you spend hours building and probably 2 or 3 more taking pics and writing
    keep it up love it

9. Torolf

Torolf New Member

I can't believe I didn't see this before. You've done some amazing work and I'm looking forward to seeing it completed as well as future builds.

Axlotl and DrscifiProps like this.
  10. DrscifiProps

That would be awesome! I can dream.

It only takes about 30 minutes of my day to take the progress pictures and do the rpf updates. So not that much of a delay. I enjoy sharing the process and have received many kind responses here on the RPF.

Thank you, I've already picked my next project and hope to continue posting to the RPF and streaming on Twitch this year.

11. DrscifiProps

Ha! On this weeks episode of "Still Untitled" my K-2SO was brought up again in the last 5 minutes of the show. I still hope they have a good 20-30 minute talk about the RPF party but so far the snippets I've heard make me swell with pride. At SVCC there was an awesome paperboard K2 sculpture that had glowing eyes and a servo in the neck. Awesome work!

C2E2 was also this past weekend and my Instagram friend https://www.instagram.com/harteattackcosplay/ showed off his K-2SO puppet there. He did an amazing job with the joints and has his walk down! I think i'm still about 2-3 weeks out from finishing but the end is in sight.

Tonight I did some little bits of work. Progress is progress.
    Rounded the horseshoe shoulder brackets. I think this will help fit them into the shoulder bell pieces. I plan on making those tomorrow night.
    34147401341_4c5420e439_c.jpg

Finally finished the elbow joint inner pieces.
    33894479760_fd010abb5c_c.jpg

This hides the joint. Though I'll need to touch up the inside with black before final paint.
    33894479400_4f49f12d5d_c.jpg

I decided to knock out the small 2 button box on the left side of the chest. (relative) I traced it out as 1" wide by 2" high.
    33468343453_e136fc95ba_c.jpg

Cut out the edges on the back side and folded the piece together. Then changed tactics and trimmed the top and bottom to make them insert pieces.
    34147400781_ed69c9719a_c.jpg

Carved out the two buttons. I might replace these later with plastic.
    33436549794_c7c613eb6e_c.jpg

Coming along nicely. You can see my Stormtrooper armor bin in the background here.
    33894479820_0ce5822d0b_c.jpg

Cut out the 1" x 2" pocket. Had to remove some material behind it from the lower torso.
    34147401321_5a101dc7d9_c.jpg

Also added a small notch to the top of the front abs plate.
    33436549804_6b0fd5254e_c.jpg

Now his torso is one step closer to being done.
    34147400951_d57c2a6ff6_c.jpg

More work tomorrow night. I think i'll finish the shoulders then so the arms will be 100% done. I'll also finish the shoulder cone detail work and the neck cone.
    Adam asavage talked about how he used an iPhone robo voice app to give his Totoro some sound. I downloaded an app called RoboVox which seems to do the trick. Just need to pick up a 1/4" split adaptor to output the sound to my aker and receive an input from my over the ear lav mic. Thanks for the idea Adam. I should be able to run the program on the iPad mini already installed in K2's back. This will pass through my voice to get it sounding even more like K-2SO. I don't think running the POV camera app in the foreground will interfere.

Also excited that the Tested.com interview has hit over 200k views in just one week!

More K2 tomorrow night, the end is in sight.

Attached Files:

12. DrscifiProps

Worked during lunch today to template out the tow shoulder bells.
    [​IMG]

Figured out the angle they would bend at so I could be sure to add extra material on the sides.
    [​IMG]

Made an angle guide to keep everything straight as I cut.
    [​IMG]

Ready to start cutting
    [​IMG]

First beveled cut on the curved middle.
    [​IMG]

Arch part cut and a single line cut along the top. Now to fold.
    [​IMG]

Folded the bevel curve, then clamped together to make a cut through both pieces.
    [​IMG]

These top "horns" now will join in the center perfectly.
    [​IMG]

Are you sure this isn't a Batman cosplay? Carved out two channels on the back to aid in the folding.
    [​IMG]

All of the pieces are now glued and tacking up.
    [​IMG]

Glued the top edges together to make the curved shape.
    [​IMG]

These almost look cooler with the points at the top. Almost.
    [​IMG]

Propped up a sharpie to the hight of the side edges and traced the arc around the top.
    [​IMG]

That worked pretty well. Now I can continue the angled cut around the top.
    [​IMG]

It sits flat so I must be cutting straight.
    [​IMG]

Both sides cut. I have the edge at a 45* angle to join with a 1" strip around the edge.
    [​IMG]

Beveled the edges of the inside horseshoe to better fit into the shoulder bell.
    [​IMG]

Ready for more glue.
    [​IMG]

Added the 1" strip around the edge first.
    [​IMG]

Nice seam work. Will fill and seal later.
    [​IMG]

Spent a lot of time fitting this horseshoe into the shoulder bell. But got it centered and just right.
    [​IMG]

Progression of putting the arm on. First hook the slip ring over the shoulder joint. Next add the end plug and clamp the sleeve disk. Next add the shoulder bell with the horseshoe inside.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They look great from the side, feel a tad bit small but I can live with it. From the front they don't cover the bicep as much as I had thought but this also allows the shoulder to pivot out enough for more range of motion. A little bit of black in here and maybe some foam over the top of the bicep and we'll be good to go.

[​IMG][​IMG]

K2, Shake!

[​IMG]

Again, they shoulder bells feel a tiny bit small, or the biceps feel a little big, but I can live with those dimensions. The range of motion is still there and his ARMS ARE DONE!
    [​IMG]

This weekend I'll be working on the pelvis and upper legs. The end is so close!

13. SonofDathomir

SonofDathomir Jr Member

Too right!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

14. CesarZacanini

CesarZacanini New Member

Hi Darren, a few days ago watched the Tested interview and those mirrors on the elbow really made an impression on me, i liked the effect. Today i went to my local kids museum and they have a well which is an ilusion, the well is really 1 meter deep with a mirror in the bottom but when you look into it it does not reflects your own imagen, so a guide told me that the reason for it is because at the top is a sheet of polarized acrilyc, so i thought you could apply this technique.
    PozoEfectoExplora.jpg

15. DrscifiProps

Hmm, I'll have to look into that technique. It seems like the well looks like it goes on forever in darkness. But for my technique, I want a reflected area so it appears to be hollow. I'll do some testing and see. Thanks for the link.

16. CesarZacanini

CesarZacanini New Member

Yes indeed, it goes forever in darkness. I just noticed i wrote acrylic wrong, sorry i have dyslexic fingers.

17. DrscifiProps

Picked up 3 stencils for the shoulder Imperial Cogs. I plan to make an extra shoulder, put the white cog on it then paint a rebel fire bird over it. I can swap that shoulder out when I like.

33473594894_caa8bffb9c_z.jpg

Downloaded the RoboVox voice changer app that Adam Savage talked about. Also got a mic/speaker splitter for my iPhone But only the speaker part seems to work. It shifts over to the built in mic for the input. I'll still need to do some tests and get another cable. If someone knows the exact cable please let me know.
    34325748295_875d63eaea_z.jpg

Reworking my puppet paddle connections. Got a left and right wrist brace. Was planning on putting rare earth magnets on the back but I don't think they will be strong enough.
    34216753371_03b7879abf_z.jpg

I also want to eventually rework the neck servos to be controlled with small joystick similar to this.
    33507038074_f6e7a3b3f8_z.jpg

My little helper always likes building K-2SO with me.
    34196997722_1571fe72da_z.jpg

Took apart the back half of the hand linkages.
    34196965632_d579cd377f_z.jpg

Drilled out the rivets on the PVC pieces. I'm keeping the piping and the hinges.
    33544580053_9f5018fa87_z.jpg

Cut an extra piece of wood and extended the paddle about 3". This will support the arm brace.
    33544579833_c5cae6037b_z.jpg

I've been R/D'n this problem for a long while. I think a solution is to make these loops of wire that can be sewn or attached at my fist knuckle joint on the glove. The glove will be cut open and attached to the paddle. This lets me use the leverage of the hinge but keep my flexibility.
    34314229286_908333b4a2_z.jpg

I screwed the arm brace to the paddle with 3 screws and washers. Added a 6mm piece of foam over it for comfort.
    34196965722_2b7c87c9c6_z.jpg

Started working on the shoulder details. Cut out two curves with my COMPASS! Yes! No more wire compasses for me.
    33513234294_227aca0887_z.jpg

From the big fig and some screen shots I traced out the pattern he has on the shoulder cones. Fortunately it is mirrored on both sides.
    34224550441_1985b1e366_z.jpg

The big fig details matched the screen caps.
    34314228706_af3385e224_z.jpg

A lot of time tracing, then mirroring the pattern.
    33971109250_8ee0cdb393_z.jpg

Scored and then heated all of the marks to create seams.
    33544615363_4a10cd7008_z.jpg

Lots of labels while I work to keep all of the pieces straight. It's nice that everything will have a coat of paint over it.
    34224578581_a5d49d26f1_z.jpg

Prepped the glue sites.
    33513259334_da73493e11_z.jpg

Glued down. I left plenty of room for the yellow ring to be painted in the inner edge.
    34224578571_8148e8cfaa_z.jpg

Not too bad.
    33544615133_f401a6e2d4_z.jpg

The sides pretty much match. I could always claim some shoulder rotation if they didn't.
    34314253906_d96bb38c8b_z.jpg
    I really like taking the time to put these small details in.
    More work tomorrow on some detail work.

Also I may be going to San Diego Comic-Con for the first time this year. I'll keep everyone posted but you can be sure that if I go, K2 goes.
    I got to share my build with Egg Sisters Cosplay Kotoni , I love sharing about K2, especially with people who do such amazing foam work.

Everyone keep building, more updates tomorrow.

18. Friendly flyer

Friendly flyer Well-Known Member

I'm amazed about whet you manage to conjure out of foam!

DrscifiProps likes this.
  19. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Incredible work:thumbsup

DrscifiProps likes this.
  20. DrscifiProps

Started work on the pelvis.
    [​IMG]

Might be a bit wide at the base but it seems to balance. Using the template I made when designing the abs.
    [​IMG]

Score marks expanded with the heat gun.
    [​IMG]

Trying to minimize foam use as I'm down to my last 1.7 sheets.
    [​IMG]

Heat expanded scores on the back plate. I want to make a pocket here I can store my phone etc while operating K2.
    [​IMG]

Tricky balancing building the piece and needing to fit it on the PVC before finishing the seams.
    [​IMG]

Now for the outer octagons and inner fill.
    [​IMG]

If you're in the LA area tomorrow (Tuesday 5/2) i'll be bringing K2 by the Vocademy Makerspace in the evening during their "Do It Together" Tuesday evenings. I'm going to inquire about some arduino help for the 2.0 neck servos.
    vocademy-great-2017.jpg

21. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

This is SO impressive! :)

Axlotl and DrscifiProps like this.
  22. Bengrim09

Love this build so much
    nice nice nice

23. NathansPROPS

NathansPROPS Active Member

JUST WOW! Your build is great! Its too awesome man, seriously, its like over the limit of awesome!

DrscifiProps likes this.
  24. DrscifiProps

Thank you. I could tell you were reading through the whole thing as the notifications kept pinging my phone. I can't wait to get him finished.

Engelnicht likes this.
  25. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

This is ambitious! Excellent work!

DrscifiProps likes this.
  26. DrscifiProps

May the 4th be with you. The other day I took K-2SO out to the Vocademy Makerspace.

[​IMG]

This was the third walking test, taking him around the facility and outside.
    [​IMG]

Still need to finish his pelvis and upper legs but he held up very well. I've decided to keep the strapped in hand brace on my right puppet hand but go for the looser elastic loop on my left. This way I can get myself out of the hand holds if I need too without any assistance. But I seriously need to upgrade his stand, the weight is starting to bend the aluminum stand.
    [​IMG]

The captain says you are a friend.
    [​IMG]

K-2 checking out Cathy their giant laser cutter.
    [​IMG]

There were a lot of fun projects around.
    [​IMG]

Sign from Chuck.
    [​IMG]

They donated a computer fan which I will add in this large port. Having a little air blow out towards my face will help during those long troops.
    [​IMG]

K2, what will you make today?
    [​IMG]

Like many Star Wars fans I have a closet full of t-shirts. Today I bought my first rebel shirt.
    [​IMG]

More progress this weekend. Hope to have him submitted to the Rebel Legion by the 17th.

cjchiu, Bengrim09, Yrien and 2 others like this.
  27. Tumbler

Tumbler Active Member

The iphone is very finicky with respect to input/output and voice modification. In my other life I am pursuing a TK project (Stormtrooper) and the for any of the aps that are used to modify or add to voices the kvconnection splitter is the go to hardware when connecting to an iphone. It costs a bit more but is a proven solution. Likely work for your application as well.

https://www.kvconnection.com/product-p/km-iphone-2trs-ecm.htm

28. DrscifiProps

Thanks for the tip. Ordered this connector. Should get here next week.

29. DrscifiProps

K2 took his last outing before completion. Down to my friends shop SoCal Games and Comics in Temecula. It was Free Comic book Day and K2 had to check out the Funko Pops.

34497321505_c3be25b7d9_z.jpg

I will buy this little friend, the captain sai..... well he is the captain.
    33687381663_f3fa8e54d1_z.jpg

The light stand bent under K2's weight so he is held up in this picture by the comic display. Might need to get one of these Stormtrooper cutouts for a backdrop.
    34112176260_b0f11cb72e_z.jpg

You are so tall K2.
    34112174670_8bcf065d4a_z.jpg

Wow, if he looks this good in his unfinished state I can't wait to see him fully detail and weathered.
    34179708750_c4069a87dd_z.jpg

A filmmaker friend of mine gave me a new light stand. This has a much thicker tube.
    34403646222_dde7ba1989_z.jpg

The 1" pvc fit perfectly over the end with only a few mm on each side. I also shortened the connector pvc after the first 45 degree coupler. This moved his center of gravity closer to the stand pole.
    33755130903_4629ca2536_z.jpg

Much more secure now. The pole only needs one sandbag and can take his weight with no bending or swaying.
    34403646122_434c294d86_z.jpg

I'll be back in the shop tonight to take the next steps on his pelvis. Only 18 days until his premier at the Paul A Bain Library Star Wars Day in Rancho Cucamonga! It's our largest Star Wars event in the Inland Empire. On a bad note I twinged my back tonight playing with the younglings. Should heal up in the next 3 weeks but K2 puts most of his stress on the lower back so wishes for a speedy recovery.

Also scouted an AMAZING shoot location for a Rogue One photo shoot. It won't be until late June but trust me, these pictures are going to rock!
    Here's a taste!
    34495769455_5d12c97134_z.jpg

Also I cranked out a pink MSE-6 mouse droid for the 24 hour Bakersfield Relay for Life event! He joined some familiar characters in all pink.
    34337046722_ba02d27a92_z.jpg

smoothrat, cjchiu, MooCriket and 2 others like this.
  30. Dminor

Dminor Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great update. I'm still trying to figure out how you find the time to build and document this. LOL

DrscifiProps likes this.
  31. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Loving each update!

32. DrscifiProps

Received my new audio connection cable suggested by Tumbler It works!
    My over the ear mic goes through the input and the output passthrough ends up in the aker.

34586436035_3767c79a32_z.jpg

Setup 3 different voice options for K2. Will try them out once I start full puppet testing.
    34455824601_7340c2cbfb_z.jpg

More foam work tomorrow night.

Attached Files:

cjchiu likes this.
  33. 5xxicemanxx5

5xxicemanxx5 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is very kool build way to go on this your helmet came way nice love the idea in making it.

- - - Updated - - -

20170507_165656.jpg 20170507_165637.jpg heres what i did few months ago just finished last week getting everything together

DrscifiProps likes this.
  34. 13doctorwho

13doctorwho Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is such a great project. This is actually how they did C3PO from Star Wars The Phantom Menace (for a lot of it).

DrscifiProps likes this.
  35. DrscifiProps

More work on the pelvis tonight. I traced the outer and inner plates before putting the V frame on the pipe. This part of K2 will need to be built on him instead of built then added at the end.

34464508862_9a1cd45a6f_z.jpg

More of a sculpting type of piece.
    33783608644_9cf2b0cf63_z.jpg

The side rings are too small and don't go up enough towards his upper torso. Cut a seam to add more material.
    33783608684_da74bafa73_z.jpg

Making these rings about 10" wide.
    34585302286_1605a9b1ed_z.jpg

Added some notched pieces to support the pelvis on the front and the back.
    34585302306_d321390304_z.jpg

Mocked up the shorts attachment rings.
    34496011581_764745a325_z.jpg

Ready to cut the shorts attachment rings.
    33816729843_43c3d30b5d_z.jpg

This uses the same technique as the shoulder sleeves. The large ring and the narrow small ring are permanently attached to the shorts fabric. They join to the fatter small ring to hide the hip PVC pipe once the legs are attached.
    34496010771_f2c4eaf751_z.jpg

The pieces fit snugly to the pipe and slip ring.
    33783606224_d8b8ac1834_z.jpg

Binder clips will be used again. Accessed through the removable 5" disc on the outside of the upper legs.
    33783605874_54594bbdc5_z.jpg

Getting the dimensions down. The upper leg will be supported by 3 foam discs inside it.
    33783615174_4c57526949_z.jpg

Cutting the shorts fabric.
    34464506712_4b47e13f52_z.jpg

Sewing the edge seam then turning inside out.
    34585299906_0f3ba53eef_z.jpg

Sturdy.
    34464506642_3df115fbfe_z.jpg

Cutting 12 strips of elastic to act as the pistons of the hips. Again the same technique as the shoulder sleeves.
    34585299596_4f1490f779_z.jpg

I'll staple gun the fabric and elastic to the wood rings tomorrow night. Then flush out the foam pieces to finish the pelvis.

Had fun watching AlpacaAsh on twitch while I worked. She was doing some 3d modeling on her Sheikah Slate.

15 days until the reveal.

36. DrscifiProps

Stapled the shorts cloth to the inner wooden disk. Again using the same technique used in the shoulder sleeves.

[​IMG]

Then stapled the narrow end of the the shorts cloth to the thin horseshoe.
    [​IMG]

Makes a nice little cone.
    [​IMG]

Glued and taped the thick horseshoe to the top of the hip slip ring. This surface will be clamped with binder clips to the shorts cloth.
    [​IMG]

Notched the side foam to fit the wooden large disc. Also glued down the front and back foam connections.
    [​IMG]

Added some spacers on the bottom glued between the foam and the PVC skeleton. This will help the pelvis keep shape and not shift around.
    [​IMG]

Remade the front panel. I've never been happy with the 2mm gap around the edges. Just needed to increase the size slightly. Cut off the original and traced around it. The pen width was about the increase I needed.
    [​IMG]

Glued up for the new front panel.
    [​IMG]

Old on the left, new on the right. I almost forgot to add the heat seared lines on the front before gluing it in.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I really like how the edges of the front panel turned out. I'll still add a little bit of filler but It's much smoother.
    [​IMG]

I had a great time working while chatting with the crew of Making It Up out in Atlanta. https://www.twitch.tv/makingitup We talked about first cosplays, K-2SO and puppetry.
    Also got to chat/watch with Zonbi while she was weathering. https://www.twitch.tv/zonzonzonbi
    Watching Twitch is so fun while working. It's like being in a makerspace or co-op instead of your own garage.

More pelvis work tonight.

37. DrscifiProps

What? 2 posts in the same night! I must be cranking.
    Templated out the inner pelvis pieces off of 2mm foam then transferred that to 6mm foam.
    [​IMG]

The insert fits around the center spine.
    [​IMG]

I decided to put the inner plate on the inside of the wing to keep the thickness down.
    [​IMG]

All glued in.
    [​IMG]

I'll touch up the seams a little but the removable front plate still fits in without pinching anything.
    [​IMG]

Reused that 2mm foam to template the outer plate.
    [​IMG]

Cut out circle to funnel the shorts cloth. Similar to how the shoulders were funneled.
    [​IMG]

Glued and taped in the large wooden disc.
    [​IMG]

Glue primed on the outer plates. Made the funnel hole bigger to let as much of the fabric stretch as possible.
    [​IMG]

Moment of truth, sealing up the sides.
    [​IMG]

The outer plate goes on the outside edge of the pelvis wing. It lined up great and looks very smooth.
    [​IMG]

The small disc is clamped to the leg slip ring and the shorts fabric ring can stretch and twist as the leg moves.
    [​IMG]

One of my new favorite shots. The torso is DONE!
    [​IMG]

Don't get dizzy.
    [​IMG]

Watched some of KayPikeFashion on Twitch as I finished the night. https://www.twitch.tv/kaypikefashion
    Now off to bed. Upper legs tomorrow.

Yrien likes this.
  38. Rogue1Luvr

Rogue1Luvr Active Member

Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build - Torso Done

You know I think that K-2SO is my favorite droid, even better than C-3PO and R2-D2.

PropReplicator2 and DrscifiProps like this.
  39. PropReplicator2

PropReplicator2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's it... I don't know who you are... I don't know what you want.. but I will find you.. and I will kill you;)..

sent from the cockpit of SLAVE I

40. DrscifiProps

Hey now! Go stay in the ship. The captain says you have to.

PropReplicator2 likes this.
  41. PropReplicator2

Oucchh. No comeback

42. DrscifiProps

Another busy week. Picked up several cans of primer and paint and the yellow for the accent rings around the shoulders and hips.

34335115020_04327f40b3_c.jpg

New garage setup. Purged the garage and moved against the back wall. Now my patient lovely and understanding wife can park her car in the garage. First time in 2 months.
    34557741582_a39443793a_c.jpg

Time to finish the upper legs. This curve is just beyond my brain to turn inside out and flatten. Time to make a template. Sorry 31" big fig you're loosing your right leg.
    34689041536_af46ab1e74_c.jpg

Opened up to remove the upper portion of the leg.
    34689041286_c2dda2e1cd_c.jpg

First cover in foil so the tape doesn't stick.
    34728972425_eaa37651f9_c.jpg

Then cover in tape and cut along seams.
    33920049263_7023fdff5b_c.jpg

Kept it only 2 pieces. Had to make a small notch below the outer circle so it all fits.
    33920142513_f84cea9278_c.jpg

Decided to make a small scale test out of 2mm foam.
    34567605922_a6535e26f6_c.jpg

All cut out.
    34567606022_e4d696ddf8_c.jpg

Turned out great, onward to full size.
    33920249433_eedd879019_c.jpg

I've seen this method used a lot by other builders but never used it until today.
    33920342453_a4ecdd7f2d_c.jpg

Finally finishing the detail oval on the back of the hands.
    34689605726_79e6efd797_c.jpg

I'm always making 2 of everything on this build.
    34598580251_b12f4ea8c9_c.jpg

Detail in place.
    34345389770_5c8934a39a_c.jpg

Also made the coin slot buttons for the front chest panel.
    34568062892_a756f141d0_c.jpg

These look great. Another Star Wars part that we see on Vader's chest box and R2-D2's front.
    33887911634_b4d8cbed04_c.jpg

Scanned the template for the leg.
    34690255336_4f9d51e300_c.jpg

Upscaled to 21" high.
    34646478121_04ef887c64_c.jpg

Printed out at full size over 6 sheets of paper.
    34616450682_98c8334154_c.jpg

Ready to transfer to foam.
    34778747585_dbae29e653_c.jpg

But first a paper test. I'll need to use the inner support rings to have it hug the inside of the leg, and need to add 2" to the bottom but it looks good.
    34738488796_a295b7daa5_c.jpg

My Poly Latex 60 arrived for sealing all of this foam.
    34616448572_39487da092_c.jpg

Marked up the two templates for the legs.
    34646474781_9003c042cb_c.jpg

Added a little to the outer edge you can see here.
    34616448062_17a05fcdce_c.jpg

Determining how best to mount this.
    34646474101_8912cc0dd7_c.jpg

Made a custom support disc at the bottom of the leg (at the knee) and just below the side notch.
    34778743485_99decdb51d_c.jpg

These will support the leg and keep it in place. I ended up moving the top placement hole, but why use more foam when the old one will be hidden.
    34738485656_42da538a5e_c.jpg

Readying the glue.
    34616447612_045177f0bf_c.jpg

Glued a ring to the inside of the side circle. This will be a mount point for the cover cap. Some registration marks on the wedge piece.
    34738482856_18fe61817a_c.jpg

The inner seam lined up nicely.
    34646471611_b7e5f08b87_c.jpg

He's got a full leg!
    34738482376_f9c71128b1_c.jpg

Worked hard to make sure this placed where I wanted it so when K2 takes a step there is enough clearance for the leg to swing.
    33970035543_8707d6c25a_c.jpg

2 legs!
    34778740055_a3f241637c_c.jpg

Cutting down some old circles of foam to make the cover caps.
    33936923394_dd4f688fc1_c.jpg

Checking the circle size.
    34616445272_efec06e2b4_c.jpg

Readying some magnets, marking the polarity.
    34778739825_5890f33c74_c.jpg

Counter sunk 5 magnets into the legs. This way the cover cap has an Up.
    34616445312_ddb0c3fcd8_c.jpg

Matched up the magnets.
    34738480786_8eedaeb230_c.jpg

This access cap lets me reach in to secure the shorts cloth and attach the hip ring to keep the slip ring on.
    33936920734_a5463eb8c2_c.jpg

Looks pretty good.
    34778736985_5fa7a7b551_c.jpg

Cutting some foam to cap the top of the legs.
    34778736705_792a81cc36_c.jpg

Leaving a lot of room for the shorts skirt.
    34616442672_d5edc743ce_c.jpg

Great set of legs.
    34738477816_cf712cd9fb_c.jpg

K-2SO, fully assembled the main components. Boy how far we've come.
    34778737205_ed588f7f1e_b.jpg

Speaking of that, he was just a PVC skeleton in January. Sometimes you have to see past your current step to what will be.
    34738840146_1a1c94601f_b.jpg

Time for some more details. Made a small cover for the iPad mini slot. This way if the picture is of the back I can cover it.
    33971521163_bae4f3fbac_c.jpg

Had some help for the first time working on K2 parts. Dremeled the edges off most pieces. The fingers look much better now.
    34403068860_ec194113f4_c.jpg

Added some magnet points for the back cog/bar access panel.
    34626419662_e6f830d2e0_c.jpg

Removed the unseen electronics from the back panel. It snaps on and lines up nicel.
    34626419612_ff5df8152d_c.jpg

Rounded many of the edges with the sanding drum.
    33979871193_d005828d5a_c.jpg

More rounded edges.
    33946488574_823a9f2b18_c.jpg

Added Kwik seal into many of the seams. Used @chinbeard video as my tutorial.
    33979867003_824ec46739_c.jpg

Here is that tutorial.

Adding this arch detail in the back.
    33946488544_fc7b641541_c.jpg

Cut out a nice notch.
    34656380761_11e38ef353_c.jpg

Taped in a piece of 8mm foam and heat scored the detail.
    34656380721_cf29067709_c.jpg

Prepping thin strips of foam for the neck detail.
    34656380221_36d6271d03_c.jpg

These are glued on in no particular pattern but reflect what is on his neck.
    34626415902_a562dfab67_c.jpg

I really like this little detail. But need to make some sort of cover for the bottom of the pan/tilt unit. At least before the neck servos are installed for head 2.0.
    34788986535_1743dee685_c.jpg

Also bit the bullet and trimmed off 1/5th of the knee joint puck. It split right along the glue line. This helps reduce the 3PO knee feel these have. I'll remove the other outer layers from both knees.
    34748548596_76073cbef2_c.jpg

Lots of progress. Only 6 more days until his premier. But I feel right on schedule.
    More progress pictures will be out this week as I work and hopefully some more live streams.

Attached Files:

43. PropReplicator2

Looks f'n amazing!! I love the template making technique you used! Never thought of that! Great job so far and I can't wait to see more!

sent from the cockpit of SLAVE I

DrscifiProps likes this.
  44. DrscifiProps

I finished taking the outer layers of 10mm foam off the knees. Now they look much more balance and less like C-3PO knees.

[​IMG]

I also put blue painters tape over all of the mirrors. All 16 of them.
    [​IMG]

Just call him blue joints McGee.
    [​IMG]

I did a single coat of Poly Latex 60 on the shoulder bells as a test. Spread on with first a chip brush then a sponge brush to remove the brush strokes.
    [​IMG]

So my small test worked fine so time for the rest right? Wrong. The Poly Latex 60 started curing too fast as I painted it on. It was almost like spreading suntan lotion.
    [​IMG]

It looks like a mess. Fortunately it's not permanent.
    [​IMG]

Though it dries clear it does have a lot of texture so I've started to peel it all off the torso. Fortunately I didn't go any further than that.
    [​IMG]

I gained access to a critter gun and tomorrow night I'll dilute the Poly Latex 60 with distilled water. (A 50/50 blend) This will help apply the latex over all of K-2SO.
    [​IMG]

I still feel on schedule for Saturday. Just need to do a step each night. Sealing, Priming, Painting and Weathering are left. Plus wiring up the hands again.

45. Bengrim09

You have come a long way and I've loved every post can't wait to see the final results ( not that I want it to end )
    congrats on your build
    Great legs fantastic idea on getting the right shape and contours ( hope you rebuild 31" )
    Ben

46. DrscifiProps

Thanks Ben. Don't worry, even after he's "done" I still have some upgrades planned. And I want to edit a 30 minute build story with my pictures.
    It's been a fun adventure. I can't wait to get photos of him out in the world.

47. DrscifiProps

Only one more day of building left!
    On a fun note I'm thinking of getting one of these large Hawaiian shirts so I can replicate my favorite K-2SO T-shirt.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also the Star Wars app has some new stickers including a cool K2 one.
    [​IMG]

Did the detail lines on the leg hip covers.
    [​IMG]

Added a little disc of foam at the top of the arms to help hide more of the PVC.
    [​IMG]

Ready to be sealed by spraying on a layer of Poly Latex 60.
    [​IMG]

Masked off the shoulder/hip/neck areas.
    [​IMG]

Mixed 8oz of distilled water with 8oz of Poly Latex 60.
    [​IMG]

More masking.
    [​IMG]

Cut two holes in my extra officer tunic for the harness.
    [​IMG]

I don't need this part screwed together as friction and gravity will hold it down. Nice that I don't have to cut too much of the tunic away.
    [​IMG]

Hand sewed around the cut holes for reenforcement.
    [​IMG]

Big day tomorrow finishing the rest of the steps. I might not update the RPF until late Saturday. But i'm sure pictures of K2 and I will begin spreading around the web.

Thank you to everyone who's read along with this project. I still have some upgrades in mind for the next month or two. So stay tuned.

-Dr. Sci-fi

48. DrscifiProps

Friday was panting day! The night before I sealed the foam with the critter gun and Poly Latex 60.

[​IMG]

Ready for paint, sealed foam.
    [​IMG]

A light coat of primer. I took my time making sure the paint didn't pool.
    [​IMG]

Went through 5 cans of primer.
    [​IMG]

Finished wiring up the right hand fingers. Made the rest of the wire loops and reconnected the nylon line.
    [​IMG]

Some pieces are almost ready for the black BBQ top coat.
    [​IMG]

Again, taking several passes and coats to cover the foam so it doesn't run.
    [​IMG]

Looking much better in flat black.
    [​IMG]

Covered the finger linkages too in black.
    [​IMG]

Ab plate.
    [​IMG]

Compilation of painting the Imperial cog stencils on the shoulders.
    [​IMG]

It's looking better and better with each coat.
    [​IMG]

Still have some leftover texture from the brushed on latex on the torso, but it works out.
    [​IMG]

Pieces are drying for the weathering step.
    [​IMG]

Charging up all of my electronics for tomorrow. Aker speaker, pan tilt motor, pov camera wifi and iPad mini.
    [​IMG]

When I peeled off all of the painters tape from the mirrors they all survived beautifully!
    [​IMG]

Masking off for the yellow ring on the shoulders.
    [​IMG]

Cut some electrical tape into circles and glued to his front buttons.
    [​IMG]

Silver sharpie for the metal ring on his hips.
    [​IMG]

More silver sharpie on his neck ring.
    [​IMG]

I decided to pull apart his left knee and replace the stopping screws.
    [​IMG]

New screw in place to keep the knee locked.
    [​IMG]

Made some pin striping tape for the front panel with a roll of electrical tape.
    [​IMG]

Covered the rest of him from overspray.
    [​IMG]

Yellow ran a little but still looks good. Also added many strike marks all over his body.
    [​IMG]

Wiring up the electronics now that the painting is done. The pink/green connectors break out the microphone and speaker to the iPad mini.
    [​IMG]

Systems coming online.
    [​IMG]

The microphone input jack for connecting with the harness.
    [​IMG]

Wire runs on the harness through the connection pipe. My over the ear mic connects on the vest.
    [​IMG]

One more plug in shot.
    [​IMG]

Added fabric around the neck to let the amplified voice out.
    [​IMG]

Strike mark weathering on the torso.
    [​IMG]

All pieces weathered and ready. Added silver on the joints.
    [​IMG]

Don't worry, another post is coming right after this one to see his premier day. Just breaking them apart for the blog.
    I finished K-2SO at 3:30am the night before. Got 3 hours of sleep then packed him in the car and rolled out.

49. DrscifiProps

He's DONE! I packed up K-2SO after a few hours sleep and took him to the Star Wars Reads event in Rancho Cucamonga, California. It's our largest 501st event in the Inland Empire and so much fun. Enjoy the pictures!

Creator standing with creation. All assembled on the staging floor.
    34112906464_b86208be76_c.jpg

He's looking great.
    34771880722_98ca101315_c.jpg

Explaining his pieces to the gathered costumers.
    34134099564_ddfb9d40d3_c.jpg

Wearing my Imperial Officers uniform behind K2 at the Death Star Wall photo booth.
    34134099184_4fb6e78350_c.jpg

Another black and shiny friend.
    34813164732_508eda4940_c.jpg

K2 likes shadow scouts.
    34134099404_28998e0262_c.jpg

General Grievous makes for a good bookend.
    34134099484_340d53d44d_c.jpg

C-3PO and K-2SO, but who's taller!
    34589187400_292111bb96_c.jpg

Searching for the Scarrif base.
    34134099804_6505b45984_c.jpg

Beautiful shot walking around.
    34813164912_b1dbbd930f_c.jpg

Replacing C-3PO ;)
    34894923566_3419f31a69_c.jpg

Posing with my wonderful family who has lived with K2 these past year.
    34803338351_d4640e8049_c.jpg

General Grievous, my friend Jeremy https://www.instagram.com/stormtrooperbusiness/ So glad I got to see his costume in person finally. We need to hit up a con together.
    34547932400_d7c8e5d06c_c.jpg

Getting ready for the character parade, about 5 minutes before the neck failed and his head fell 7' 2" onto asphalt. Survived though!
    34915646186_e16bebb18c_b.jpg

Very popular at the Death Star wall.
    34145681083_38c57c4de2_b.jpg

One of my favorite pics of the day.
    34134099694_f8c06f69aa_c.jpg

Photoshopped K2 into the U-Wing interior. He fits.
    34152998733_32cd81a1a2_c.jpg

Took documentation detail pictures for submitting him to the Rebel Legion. Enjoy.
    Front
    34831181181_6dcc3805e5_c.jpg

Back
    34152623673_ae80c7f1f1_c.jpg

Left
    34152623323_91ff25683b_c.jpg

Right
    34831180931_43b5a22bfe_c.jpg

Shoulder detail
    34831180121_1999cbb55e_c.jpg

Hand
    34922466456_11f78fed6d_c.jpg

Chest
    34831180731_c3e9735eae_c.jpg

Abs
    34152623023_4778cd1777_c.jpg

Head, you can see the new "weathering" on the front plate from when his head took a fall.
    34831180311_6e2b2bb59a_c.jpg

Knee
    34152621923_fd5b797119_c.jpg

Foot
    34831180491_f2d9ddaa4a_c.jpg

Hip
    34152621183_a9d88a7553_c.jpg

Back
    34152620873_180861efc5_c.jpg

Lower back
    34922467246_a280d50387_c.jpg

Upper back panel
    34575781050_ceb0746c57_c.jpg

Right puppet hand plate. This one is strapped to my hand for better control.
    34922466046_c9b8275e1b_c.jpg

Left puppet hand plate. This one I can slip in and out of so I still have a free hand when needed.
    34831178731_399bbbe1e8_c.jpg

Shot a time-lapse video putting his components together.

I've gathered many pictures and details on the components I've used on my website here: http://drscifi.com/k2so

Was interviewed by the Skyhoppers Podcast's new YouTube series on Star Wars Makers. Give it a look.

Also, a highlight of the day, tagged Luke D Fisher in one of my instagram posts. He was the designer of K-2SO and often posts concept art and maquette sculptures. Received a kind response back.
    34823923011_69a93a1f7b_c.jpg

Wow, what a day! I am exhausted, had 3 hours of sleep before a whole day of cosplay with a brand new puppet. I've learned a lot and already have some modifications to make before his next outing. But he was so well received by the crowd, I saw nothing but smiles and looks of surprise as I walked him around.
    He is heavy and pulls me forward a bit. I need to re-balance him and work on my endurance. I also plan to rework the knee stops so I can lock them with some custom 3d printed pieces. Then he can take his own weight while standing. That would help a lot.
    Thank you to all of my 501st and Rebel Legion brothers and sisters for helping me get suited up, walking me through the crowds and keeping me safe. I could not have done it without you.
    I'll be posting more pictures and videos here on the RPF as well as my website in the next few weeks. There is a dancing video! Now I need to prep him for our big Rogue One photo shoot in late June.

If you have any questions or kind remarks please post them below I would love to hear them and share more about K-2SO with whoever is interested. He's been a great project. Thank you RPF for your support as I worked through his build. Thank you Tested.com for showcasing him at the RPF party. I hope we get to catch up now that he's complete for an update. I'll post here what con I'll be brining him next to once I know.
    Now it's time for some sleep. Keep on making, and may the force be with you.

-Darren (Dr. Sci-Fi)

Attached Files:

50. Pcoz

Pcoz Well-Known Member

Re: ROGUE ONE K-2SO Puppet Build - Finished (Pictures)

Congratulations on a fantastic build !

Great problem solving, documentation and photography. Such a fun build to see come to life !

I just want to borrow it for one night so I can stand it over my son's bed so when he wakes up.....lol :lol:thumbsup

Contec and DrscifiProps like this.