K-2so build

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Greetings...I've had a long break from the usual prop making whilst building my All Ali R2D2, but with him pretty much finished it's time for a new build. And thankfully there is an awesome new droid in town...

So the intention is to build him mostly from scrap metal/aluminium and 3d printed parts...let's start with the head

IMAG1406.jpg IMAG1408.jpg

There are very few, good reference pix of the screen droid details so most will be based off the toys. My head needs some serious modding!

Last edited:
Subscribed! We need many K2's
That way they won't know which one to blast ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings...I've had a long break from the usual prop making whilst building my All Ali R2D2, but with him pretty much finished it's time for a new build. And thankfully there is a awesome new droid in town...

So the intention is to build him mostly from scrap metal/aluminium and 3d printed parts...let's start with the head

View attachment 697896 View attachment 697897

There are very good reference pix of the screen droid details so most will be based off the toys. My head needs some serious modding!

Do I spy a mouse droid shell in the background there :D

Ok...little update

Got the mouth/jaw parts bolted together out of old metal greeblies. It may not be canon but he does look like he'd be quite clanky

IMAG1423.jpg IMAG1422.jpg
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG1426.jpg
    IMAG1426.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 403
Didn't Gordon Tarplay build one?

Don't think Gordon has built one yet.I know he's doing a bug droid and he's got the big fig model so it's probably only a matter of time

- - - Updated - - -

Subscribed! We need many K2's
That way they won't know which one to blast ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Do I spy a mouse droid shell in the background there :D

Yes...well spotted. In the projects grave yard for the time being

Those eyes look much better. Did you change the 3D file or just bondo the one you had already printed?

No same file, just added a lot of Bondo.The eyes are quite tricky.They look small on film but I think the sockets are bigger but the actual eye and lights are quite pinpoint.Took me several attempts to get something I was happy with

No same file, just added a lot of Bondo.The eyes are quite tricky.They look small on film but I think the sockets are bigger but the actual eye and lights are quite pinpoint.Took me several attempts to get something I was happy with

What diameter eyes did you end up with? And what is the distance between them?

Mocked up K2's back panel thing. He doesn't have much in the way of lighting but some ref pix seem to suggest red LED's on his back plate, so...

IMAG1449.jpg IMAG1448.jpg

What diameter eyes did you end up with? And what is the distance between them?

Hey Darren...the eyes are 75mm apart centre to centre and I used 1 1/4" pipe for the sockets. Wanted to stay metric but there always some Imperial entanglements :)

Last edited:
Best foot forward!...with the head nearly finished it's time to start at the other end and work my way up

Filled the feet with urethane resin to give it weight and make it solid to set my frame into

IMAG1450.jpg

IMAG1452.jpg

Tapped a thread to connect my armature. Gonna use left over 10mm studding and Alu extrusion

IMAG1455.jpg IMAG1458.jpg

Making all the pivot joints from Alu pipe and rods so they can act as bearings and be poseable

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back