ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

The webbing on her pants just below the knee looks like sand/off white colored 1" twill tape with a herringbone weave that was then dirtied a bit.

You can get it at JoAnnes: http://www.joann.com/1.0in-natural-...5k_cMy1__h0vmPo4k2lkA3dcQYwCPXgoXWRoC_Bvw_wcB

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 5.53.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 5.54.13 PM.png

I've been kinda silent, because I've been working on the vest for the last month or so, I'm not ready to do a full write up, but...

On her right side the little nubbin' below the wire greeble is definitely the male end of a glove snap like this: http://www.zackwhite.com/Line-16-Glove-Snap-Nickel-Plated-Snaps-1000-Pack_p_3747.html

I was thinking it might be something like that until I received the Czech military suspenders/backpack straps. The narrower sections are both sewn and riveted to the wider parts. One side of the rivet looks a whole lot like a snap. (I have dyed the whole thing -- a bit too dark right now, but only removed the narrower connecting straps on the bottom... the finishing of the rounded edge is the same as well. I had to remove and flip the direction of the hook and finish the top edge.)

IMG_8827.JPG

Also it definitely does have a tab collar on it, that looks like it is one rectangle of fabric that is folded in half, NOT two pieces stitched together, then flipped. It's probably top stitched on like a men's dress shirt collar after the front and back of the vest are already assembled.

You can see that detail best in the Entertainment Weekly headshot:
View attachment 682366

A small standing collar, probably lined with whatever you used to line the front flap (I used a layer of felt on each side. Regular interfacing was too stiff, and batting was too puffy.) It is much much easier to attach it to the front back piece of the vest before sewing everything together. (Believe me, I've taken that vest apart and put it back together in so many different ways. So much hand sewing when you've put things together and then taken them apart in places the machine can't get to.)

CarpElJyn.jpgHere is my Halloween test run. The changes definitely get in closer than the last wearing. I recut the vest to be several inches narrower all around and lower in the front from smithjohnj's vest pattern , changed the interfacing on the front from craft foam to pad stitched felt, added pockets and flap. I restitched and dyed the gloves, have a belt, much more accurate hair.

Vest:
- Dye and age (Its a bit too light in color to begin with... and the cotton ripstop fabric I chose is not reflective enough, and a too heavy.)
- make sure all the bits and pieces get added
- redo the waistband so it doesn't pull on the front edges

Shirt:
Remake in a lighter colored fabric with the correct neckline

Pants:
Ideally remake in stretch denim. At least they need some aging. Few size adjustment things, etc.

Boots:
Need laces cover and buckles

Scarf:
This was just a length of fabric I already had. Need to make it properly. (And really, we know she doesn't wear the scarf without the green jacket... )

Holster and leg strap would be nice.

And I guess I need a necklace now?

I was thinking it might be something like that until I received the Czech military suspenders/backpack straps. The narrower sections are both sewn and riveted to the wider parts. One side of the rivet looks a whole lot like a snap. (I have dyed the whole thing -- a bit too dark right now, but only removed the narrower connecting straps on the bottom... the finishing of the rounded edge is the same as well. I had to remove and flip the direction of the hook and finish the top edge.)

View attachment 682500
callisto inspired me to get back working on my vest this weekend. After going through the more recent photos I came to the same conclusion as CarpElgin about the front web. It needs to be wider than the 1" I original estimated and the Czech backstrap is perfect at 40 mm. I wish I had got online 4 hours ago CarpElgin would have saved me a lot of time.

I also believe the name tapes which I assumed were velcro like modern day uniforms are probably just webbing as well and I still estimate them at 15 mm tall. Even though it is not screen accurate I will probably still go with velcro on my version as it seems more "real world" to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
@callisto inspired me to get back working on my vest this weekend. After going through the more recent photos I came to the same conclusion as @CarpElgin about the front web. It needs to be wider than the 1" I original estimated and the Czech backstrap is perfect at 40 mm. I wish I had got online 4 hours ago CarpElgin would have saved me a lot of time.

I also believe the name tapes which I assumed were velcro like modern day uniforms are probably just webbing as well and I still estimate them at 15 mm tall. Even though it is not screen accurate I will probably still go with velcro on my version as it seems more "real world" to me.

Dam, you guys are totally right, it's definitely the webbing from the straps...and I bought the leather ones...I just ordered the webbing ones, haha.

The name tape is definitely webbing, by eyeballing it I'm guessing 1" wide, 4" across. You can see in the attached pics that it's definitely sewn on, not velcro. It's sewn with 4 lines, one on each end, and 2 in the middle.

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 4.09.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-14 at 4.08.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-14 at 4.08.23 PM.png

Here's my collar drape test. Finished last night, then I saw spectreseven's screen cap so I'm feeling better about it! Going to make the front of the flap less square though...
I'm mocking up the rest of the shirt today, still trying to decide if there's a yoke in the back...

jynshirt001.jpg

I'm mocking up the rest of the shirt today, still trying to decide if there's a yoke in the back...

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but aside from the photoshopped photos of Jyn in jail without the vest, another argument for there possibly being a back yoke is that Cassian has one and their shirts are very similar.

diego-luna-as-captain-cassian-andor.jpg

Hmmm, I don't think their shirts are related like the jackets are, which are probably issued, as she's wearing it when rescued, and Cassian's doesn't have the back sleeve seam or similar collar, but I think the pulls showing in the fuzzy cell shot indicate there is one. I got enough fabric to make two shirts once the movie comes out ;)

Hmmm, I don't think their shirts are related like the jackets are, which are probably issued, as she's wearing it when rescued, and Cassian's doesn't have the back sleeve seam or similar collar, but I think the pulls showing in the fuzzy cell shot indicate there is one. I got enough fabric to make two shirts once the movie comes out ;)

I almost forgot about that back sleeve seam. Really need to update the line drawing. (And maybe completely redo the shirt.)

With regard to whether there is or is not a back yoke, here are four screen captures from the UK featurette. They are each a few frames apart and show an highlighted artifact on the back left shoulder of Jyn's blouse between the blouse and vest armscryes. It appears to be a straight line, like which might be made by a back yoke seam, and it seems consistent even with Jyn's arm movements. The other images which have been suggestive a back yoke exists is the side view of Jyn seated in confinement. I am not sure if the back yoke is screen accurate or not. I do believe a back yoke would provide a better fitting garment, especially for the active movements required in the film. As always I am interested in other views or evidence I have missed.

View attachment From UK Featurette.pdf

I'm having trouble tracking down leather for the belt. Where is everyone ordering their leather, and how thick would you say it was? Judging from the footage we've seen, the belt looks relatively thick, but I don't have a lot of experience working with leather so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

Here are some general guidelines for belts and holsters but not specific to Jyn's so others may have better information. In general gun belts and holster are "work" items as opposed to "dress" or 'decorative" items, so as you say these tend to be made of thicker, stronger and more reliable leather. A good working thickness is 8/9 ounce leather or 8-9/64ths of a inch or roughly 1/4 inch thick. This could be a little thinner but something between 6-9 ounce is probably good, lighter leather might be a little easier to use as a first project. Since Jyn's belt is dyed, starting with a vegetable tanned leather is best if you plan to dye and weather the item yourself. Since having a consistent thickness of leather will make for a better belt and holster, the double shoulder is a good size and quality without having to do much "pre-processing" to get the leather ready. In the U.S. one convenient supplier is Tandy Leather. If you are fortunate enough to have one close by it is good to select the leather in person as opposed to via mail order. I have found the employees who actually do leather work are very helpful and knowledgeable. Another good reason to visit the store is to see who is actually working on projects.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back